Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Near flop (whether they deserve success or not)
Damon Hill 4 33.33%
Nick Heidfeld 2 16.67%
Kimi Raikonnen 0 0%
Ricardo Zonta 1 8.33%
Jos Verstappen 0 0%
Nicola Larini 1 8.33%
Ralf Schumacher 2 16.67%
Gianni Morbidelli 0 0%
Eddie Irvine 1 8.33%
Someone else 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jan 2002, 17:22 (Ref:205839)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best driver who NEARLY flopped

I'm curious as to which successful drivers you think came the closest to competing in F1, but falling into 'flop' status (we'll say 6 points at the most). For example, Damon Hill, without the Williams drive in 1993, could've rotted away.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:01 (Ref:205877)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit sad to say, but I think Zonta already has.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:21 (Ref:205892)   #3
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hills got to win this one. He didn't do very well in that....lovely pink Brabham
He qualified twice I think. He would have gone if he didn't get the Williams drive.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:25 (Ref:205894)   #4
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little bro. Only his last name saved him from his "Verstappen" performance in 97. He should have been gone it his name was Zonta or Magnussen(?)...LOL
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:36 (Ref:205900)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
None of them.

Firstly, how can you judge drivers who haven't even reached the peak of their career, such as Raikkonen, and call them flops?

Secondly, do you have a crystal ball? Is it possible to predict what would have happened to a driver like Hill if he hadn't got the Williams drive in 93? It could have been that he had got the drive at a later time by staying on as the test driver, or maybe he would have driven for another team. The fact is that he did get the Williams drive, so I'm not sure what the point is on speculating about "nearly" flops - especially when some of them have many years of racing ahead of them.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 20:27 (Ref:205924)   #6
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damon wasnt lucky to get the williams drive, he got it because he was a great test driver and would've got the drive eventually, the fact he drove a **** brabham for a while doesnt mean he woul have been a flop.

p.s. may i suggest eddie irvine, if ferrari hadnt wanted someone who couldnt beat schumacher he would most probably been languishing in the arrows seat by now..........ooohh *****y
Old 28 Jan 2002, 20:43 (Ref:205939)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nick did great last year after his disasterous Prost debut.

Could've wrecked him.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 20:52 (Ref:205944)   #8
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nameless
[B]damon wasnt lucky to get the williams drive, he got it because he was a great test driver and would've got the drive eventually, the fact he drove a **** brabham for a while doesnt mean he woul have been a flop

I'm sorry, I don't rate Damon very highly. It's just my opinion on him.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 13:22 (Ref:206231)   #9
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Heidfeld didn't do too badly at Prost, he wasn't exactly blown away by Alesi. It was the car that was a disaster and not him.

Last edited by Nicholas; 29 Jan 2002 at 13:23.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 16:26 (Ref:206290)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As far as Nick's concerned, I agree that it would've been a dreadful shame if he hadn't got a drive after the Prost season, as he's blossiming into the splendid driver I knew he was. But as far as Damon's concerned, though he did prove to be a strong enough driver, the only things whihc got him his 1993 Williams drive were his test-driver status and his name. He only got his F3000 drive on account of his name as well, hsi team boss said years later (they had tested Hill and Perry McCarthy, who had similar pace in the tests, both as rookies).
Old 29 Jan 2002, 16:55 (Ref:206307)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has to be Damon, he was world champion in 1996. It is too early to tell about Kimi and Nick, but the other all did do well.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 23:12 (Ref:206383)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The guy who drives the Cleanways garbage truck on our road every friday. He stinks out the entire neighbourhood when he comes around, but as he was doing such a good and indispensable job, his driving was admired by all the residents in our street, and as a result he was signed on for a long term contract. It has been rumoured that a firm (with red trucks) in one of the outer suburbs is very keen to sign him on because of his zest, but for the moment, our driver has stated his loyalty to Cleanways.