Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2178951)   #26
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Shell 962 looked the bees knees, untouched from when it last raced. Spent a good 10mins just looking at it. The Primagaz car looked good as well. Give me an untampered 956/062 over a short tail homebuilt one anyday.

I was amazed at the number of Nissan's present.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2179000)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Always the nearest to perfect livery for a 962 for me. Those cars looked gorgeous at the time and still look georgeous now.....
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2179004)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Always the nearest to perfect livery for a 962 for me. Those cars looked gorgeous at the time and still look georgeous now.....
Agreed, they look great...pity they don't sound how they look. The muted turbo sound never did it for me, the non-turbo cars sounded great at Snett!
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2179053)   #29
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Agreed, they look great...pity they don't sound how they look. The muted turbo sound never did it for me, the non-turbo cars sounded great at Snett!
Agreed, which is always a point missed by those that slate the Audi R10 for its noise, most of the turbo Grp C cars sounded pretty mute as well.

Pick on the R10 for its looks by all means, but to me it sounds like a 962.

The DFV (or DFL) in the Spice sounded wonderful.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2179060)   #30
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a comparison ( but not group C), watch this old movie I shot. The turbo cars all sound flat, but Boutsen's normally aspirated Benetton Ford - marvellous! Especially on his hot lap around Stowe and Club at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-WfntDm1w
Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2179081)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
cars
Old 16 Apr 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2179163)   #32
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pics. did the Lola Judd run I assume it is the 1992 Mcneil car and I thought the post 1990 cars were banned?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2179188)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Agreed, which is always a point missed by those that slate the Audi R10 for its noise, most of the turbo Grp C cars sounded pretty mute as well.

Pick on the R10 for its looks by all means, but to me it sounds like a 962.

The DFV (or DFL) in the Spice sounded wonderful.
I prefered the Jags and the Mazdas.......

But the Porsche turbo 'whistle' was always quite engaging.....
Old 16 Apr 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2179214)   #34
T600
Rookie

England
Norfolk
T600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also thought the latter 3.5-litre cars weren't allowed to run, but the more the merrier I say! What was the weird batman livery the Lola T92 had?
I was at Snett from 10am until a very damp 4.30 just drooling over the cars and practicing my pics for the GTs at Silverstone in a couple of days.
Just like to say thanks to all the teams and circuit officials for allowing great access.
Can't ask for more than IMSA GTP at Snetterton - never thought I'd see that.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2179222)   #35
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am really looking forward to seeing these cars at Le Mans in June again.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2179334)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Amen to that. Remember the time the three of them were dicing for the lead with the Jags at the start of 24 heures du Mans back in the late 1980s... possibly one of the most evocative moments in sportscar racing... ever.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2186056)   #37
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Sauber-Mercedes anyone....?

http://www.groupcracing.com/news/327
Old 24 Apr 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2186108)   #38
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
For a comparison ( but not group C), watch this old movie I shot. The turbo cars all sound flat, but Boutsen's normally aspirated Benetton Ford - marvellous! Especially on his hot lap around Stowe and Club at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-WfntDm1w
Great video. I have to say, I always liked the turbo sounds. The BMW/Megatron 4 cylinder in the Arrows sounds pretty cool in this vid. And as I also thought at the time, the Judd in the Williams sounds positively hideous. When you go into your video, there is a link to Silverstone 1991 testing - now that's music with the various multi cylinder engines.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2189619)   #39
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, this is a question about the series in general, but this seems as good a place as any.

What is actually legal for the series? IMSA, Group C...what about the early nineties cars? Are they inellegible or just unavailable?

Thanks
Old 29 Apr 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2189807)   #40
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Check out the series website;
http://www.groupcracing.com/home
Old 29 Apr 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2190175)   #41
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Check out the series website;
http://www.groupcracing.com/home
DUH! Why didn't i think of that? Thanks

It's worth the Silverstone classic just for this lot.

WOW.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2190327)   #42
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Sauber-Mercedes anyone....?

http://www.groupcracing.com/news/327
PLEEEEASE!!!!

The suspense is killing me. Roll on tomorrow!

Quote from silverstoneclassic.co.uk

"The fastest cars will compete in the pair of Group C races for the magnificent Le Mans cars of the 1980s. This will be Porsche versus Jaguar, Nissan and possibly even Mercedes in a glorious recreation of one of the finest periods in sports car racing history."

Last edited by dazbaz_99; 29 Apr 2008 at 16:26.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2190365)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the chances of seeing a 962 Gti PCGB & Brun Motorsport liveries this year ..... anyone ?
Old 29 Apr 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2190456)   #44
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Donald Coaster run either of his Nissan NPT-90's at the Snet test? I spoke to him a few weeks ago and he said it was on the cards. Wonder how he got on..
Old 29 Apr 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2190556)   #45
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
PLEEEEASE!!!!

The suspense is killing me. Roll on tomorrow!

Quote from silverstoneclassic.co.uk

"The fastest cars will compete in the pair of Group C races for the magnificent Le Mans cars of the 1980s. This will be Porsche versus Jaguar, Nissan and possibly even Mercedes in a glorious recreation of one of the finest periods in sports car racing history."

To my knowledge there's only one Mercedes C9 in private hands (in truth there's also another one), the car for sale at Paris Retromobile, I thought it didn't sell ? I came to see the car last year in Switzerland ( http://www.gurneyflap.com/mercedessauberc9.html ) it's already restored (even if it didn't run since years) so it could easily race again.
Old 1 May 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2191739)   #46
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a picture at one point which looked like Allan Simonsen driving Rob Sherrard's Porsche 962...can anyone confirm or tell me which event it was?
Old 6 May 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2195535)   #47
Zuzana97
Rookie

Zuzana97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

more pictures you can find at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26344401@N04/

It was a great day fantastic weather looking forward to a great season...

Under www.groupcracing.com you can find the impressive starter list for Spa 2008 in 2 weeks

OM