Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 May 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2209433)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a Quickie

Since I haven't something that isn't in respoinse to someone else, I thought I'd throw this quickie design into the mix.

It'a a 10 turn, 5.75km (3.59 mile) anti clockwise running circuit.

Intended challenging with fast sweeping direction changes, a reasonably long straight, yet still having a tighter technical section at the end of the lap to compromise a low downforce setup.
Motorbikes might also enjoy it too.

Comment, critiques and possible edits are as always welcome.

Oh and yes the gravel trap onto the bottom straight should really extend another 50+m along the straight
Attached Thumbnails
Quickie Top.jpg   Quickie SF.jpg   Quickie esses.jpg  

Quickie hairpin.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 22 May 2008 at 23:19.
Old 23 May 2008, 01:28 (Ref:2209476)   #2
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh so flowing.....

.....Oh so good!
Old 23 May 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2209673)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, I think it's my favourite of you so far! I love everything about it!

bio
Old 23 May 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2209678)   #4
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could enlarge the graveltraps a bit at the exits of most of the corners. The fast seqence from T3 to the eastern hairpin is great.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2209720)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
You could enlarge the graveltraps a bit at the exits of most of the corners. The fast seqence from T3 to the eastern hairpin is great.
Or just take out the gravel traps and put in smooth grass run off areas. Too many gravel traps too close to the track would cause too many yellow or red flags, Most drivers can just drive though the grass and get back on to the track.

Yes some gravel right before a tire wall, but after a good size grass area.

I have been stuck in a gravel trap once. It beat the crap out of my car, filled evey nook and cranny with stones that took weeks to get out. Not to mention repainting the rocker panels

But a grassie area a drive can spin his car if need be and keep it safe, or just drive around and get back too the track. Minimal yellow flag time and race keeps going.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 23 May 2008 at 11:26.
Old 23 May 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2209761)   #6
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that's a consideration to. Anyway, it should be better than going head on to a barrier when you lose it at the extit of a corner, especially some of the faster ones in you this track.
Old 23 May 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2209852)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Off I love this track design Scots, Great job.

But the run off areas. I would put Grass not gravel for run offs areas on all the corners. Drivers can spin their cars to stop. then go back out. Or drive out of the way. Just because a driver goes off does not mean they are ( deer in the head lights ) going into a wall. Remember race drives for the most part know how to avoid accidents.

When a car gets stuck in gravel, then the yellow flag comes out, saftey crew needs to go and tow the car out. That takes too much time and slow the race down.

Only use gravel IF the area before a wall is so short that grass would not work.

On this side of the pond, gravel traps are going away. Track owners are putting in more asphalt or grass areas.
Old 23 May 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2209865)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautifull work,I think it's one of the most impressing,due to simplicity and efectiveness.I am already scared thinking about that bbbbbbiiiiiiiiggggg corner down left, that would require lots of cojones to yank the throttle to the stop and lean and lean and lean coming into that big straight.Definitly Superbike stuff.

AS for the gravel traps, I agree that cars hate gravel, we bikers need it, since rules don't allow rollbars on bikes,but there's so much space I think some of them might be able to stop w/o gravel, I'd put some air-fencing just in case.

LOL!
Old 23 May 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2209867)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is 3m or 10 feet of grass to allow a run wide before reaching the gravel...ok not quite what's asked for but that is more than many of the UK circuits have. There is also 12m (40 feet beyond the gravel)
At the end of the gravel traps the grass section opens out to 15m (50 feet) and stays that width until the next corner.
Of course I haven't aded tyre walls or air-fencing as to be honest such details are lost unless you have the actual sketchup file to look at the details yourself.

One of the problems I feel with Sketchup is that while it's great for angles and close ups, there tends to be a loss of scaled perspective, when the images are captured.

I'll add a measurements to T5 the exit of the long sweeper, to show what I mean

EDIT:
The number's aren't clear so
Gravel trap extends 84.69m (278ft) along the straight
Gravel trap is 25.64m (84ft) wide at the exit of the corner
And as already mentioned
3m(10ft) of grass before the gravel
12m (40ft) of grass beyond the gravel.
Attached Thumbnails
Quickie T5.jpg  
Old 23 May 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2209898)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan

I'll add a measurements to T5 the exit of the long sweeper, to show what I mean

EDIT:
The number's aren't clear so
Gravel trap extends 84.69m (278ft) along the straight
Gravel trap is 25.64m (84ft) wide at the exit of the corner
And as already mentioned
3m(10ft) of grass before the gravel
12m (40ft) of grass beyond the gravel.
With those long sweepers any car that goes off will kick up gravel back to the track.

If I may

20m(65ft) of grass before the any gravel
Put the gravel right up to the wall, dont need grass between gavel and wall
Besides weeds can grow in gravel. Kind of a PIA for grounds keepers.

Grass is for slow down, not beautifying the grounds. Oh wait? Did we have this discussion before and it is that the other way around in the UK ?
Old 23 May 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2209982)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Most circuits in the UK, space is a premium, therefore as nice as it would be to provide acres of grass before some gravel, the reality is gravel stops the cars quickly, and if someone gets back out of the gravel onto the track, kicking stones onto the racing line....well that's up to the flaggies to show the Slippery surface flag.
My own local circuit has no grass between the outside kerbing and the gravel, though there is a hard plastic grid thingy that's driven into ground/gravel for the first metre or so which acts like a little bit extra kerbing/run-off/grass
As for the grass beyond the gravel trap, should a car be slowed and then the driver regain control and keep the power on, there is then an escape route along the grass to get back to the circuit. Though I admit to possible over doing it a bit on this one.
Old 23 May 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2210001)   #12
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Ok I guess it is the differnce of how tracks are designed in different parts of the world.
Old 23 May 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2210016)   #13
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ok I guess it is the differnce of how tracks are designed in different parts of the world.
Exactly....in my country tracks are all makeshift pieces of crap, where if you fail a corner there's a concrete wall waiting to collect your soul...
Old 23 May 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2210037)   #14
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! SBF, one again, you've come up trumps with a great track that's really flowing. If it was made, then I could see high-class racing series coming to it. Good job.
Old 24 May 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2210237)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got that right formula1fan.
Old 24 May 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2210333)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
It is a great deisgn, great flow and high speed for any class of cars.

Old 26 May 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2212428)   #17
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you SBF for posting Quickie Raceway. It sure is a quick raceway! I agree completely with LuiggiSpeed that this track is good because it's simple and effective. And the long curve on the lower left side of the diagram is a definite highlight.