Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Nov 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1761147)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, and when John says 'professional', he means metaphorically speaking!

Onto the Club Straight, with Tony Carpenter's 'Stuart Taylor' Phoenix and the E-type of what I presume to be Charles Cook (who also must have left his XK 120 at home - was this the 'Jaguar Ensemble's' attempt to frustrate the handicappers?):-

Now this is an XK120; that of John Chisholm, a member of the Ecurie XK Team:-

Whoops, don't know how another Sabre got in! This one is Mark Barton's that he shared with Hugo Holder. I'm guessing that the car behind is Ian Megson's Mallock Mk18 ('Special K Clubmans' team):-

Between the bridges charges Steve Platts Singer Chamois of the 'RAFMSA Flywheel' team:-

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Nov 2006 at 15:14.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1761406)   #27
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
A Jaguar of a newer generation but still fairly old! The XJS of Gail Hill, a member of the 'Les Femme Fatales'. Do you think that a sense of humour led the organisers to allocate the no. 36 to the ladies?
Can I meet the driver of 36F please
Old 9 Nov 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1761480)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No comment.

Luffield now. And is this telepathy at work? As you were posting, I was preparing this, dtype38. Unavoidably 'outed', Ken Paton of 'The Grunties' rounds the XK120 of, I think, Dick Skipworth (Ecurie XK), in his D rep.

Ray Higgs Morgan Roadster, part of the 'Morgan Gentlemen' team:-

Sue Buxton of the '750 Formula Fire Engines' in her Darvi Mk5 (a new one on me!) and an E30 M3, driver unknown since he/she is part of the nicely contrived 'XL with Hooz Ray Sin' team of E36M3s, and therefore a late addirion.

No Sabres this time but another member of 'Les Femmes Fatales'. This lady is Sarah Hutchinson in her Lancia Beta.

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Nov 2006 at 15:17.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1761705)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A couple more from Luffield! Robert Smith's Lotus Cortina Mk2; we don't see many of those compared to the Mk1 versions, racing. A member of the 'Royal Purple Oils' Team:-

Got to get a Wedgie in! Peter Reeve's TVR Tasmin, part of the 'From Russia with Love' team. Not sure about that sentiment now that we have learned that production is being moved into the European mainland with the loss of over 200 jobs. On the other hand, at least he's kept the company going!:-

Back to Marcus in the commentary box for the last 45 mins, with the light getting ever gloomier! Paul Dobson's Mazda RX7 the 'Little and Large' Team. Was that the cars or the drivers, I wonder?:-

In the light of some of the above comments, I hesitated to display the next picture, but I had always intended to finish on it since I think it's great to see a big Bimmer being pedalled around the circuit! Celia Stevens, another of 'Les Femmes Fatales' in the BMW 735.

I hope this has given some idea of the variety of machines participating in this event and long may it continue. If I've missed any favourites out, I'm sorry, but there were 50 teams and upward of 250 cars so this is just a 'soupcon' (pretentious? moi?). There's about a 50/50 chance that I may have a picture of a vehicle that I haven't shown so no guarantees. You can but ask!

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Nov 2006 at 16:07.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2218213)   #30
chassis33
Rookie

chassis33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Got to get a Wedgie in! Peter Reeve's TVR Tasmin, part of the 'From Russia with Love' team. Not sure about that sentiment now that we have learned that production is being moved into the European mainland with the loss of over 200 jobs. On the other hand, at least he's kept the company going!:-
Sorry to flag this up so long after the event, but there was a certain amount of irony in the team name we chose for the TVR entry, knowing that our beloved cars would most likely never be produced again (and thats prompted me registering. All of us love our chosen steeds and the whole affair is a very dark passage in our motoring ives. Thankfully we are hopeful of another TVR entry this year, subject to me getting my act together.

Regards
Iain
(Car 35A)
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2218366)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Iain, welcome, and thanks for the explanation. I can now declare more than a passing interest since I own a 350i FHC which should be back on the road within days after a lay up of 9 months or so!

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jun 2008 at 21:04.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2218375)   #32
chassis33
Rookie

chassis33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, no worries, I was Googling for the Birkett to introduce a friend to the race (so hopefully he'll spanner this year) and came across the photo of Pete's car and the comments.

Regards
Iain
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2218383)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm likely to be covering it again this year, as it's one of my favourite 'must do' events!