Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 25 Feb 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2404003)   #1
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Day info

I am driving one of Oulton Park's own Renaultsport Clio 197s on Friday 13th March on an open pitlane day. I am getting tuition from a qualified ARDS instructor for £200 for 1 hour. Does anyone know if this is good value? I am being assessed on whether I need more time on track before I take my Race National 'B' license.

If I do need more experience, there are plenty of private instructors who give 1-2-1 tuition in their hire cars for the day...has anyone ever used an instructor during a track day? What prices you looking at? Because I am sure £200 for 1 hour is slightly steep.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2404719)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
£200 for one hour? That's including the cost of hiring the car yes? Even so, seems steep to me.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2404777)   #3
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a lot but it is the same price Brands charge for tuition in a Megane. It all depends on how much you get out of it. If you come away having learn't alot then maybe it is OK. If you learn nothing then it is an expensive ride.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2408173)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I find it difficult to believe you want to spend £200 on preparation for taking the ARDS test; IMO it's purpose is to weed out the chav car thieves, and anyone with any sort of sensible head on their shoulders will not have any problem at all. Drive at 'fast road' speed, demonstrate some idea of a racing line, most importantly show awareness of what is happening all around you, and you can't go wrong. That 200 will pay for your first race entry....
Old 3 Mar 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2408227)   #5
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't intend to spend that much, but I was told to do the session because I am 'inexperienced', so I am doing it. I did previously ring up to book my ARDS straight away but they told me to do this first. I could draw the racing line around Oulton with my eyes closed, and have already driven round at a decent but responsible pace, so i'm unsure as to why MSV said I needed a 1-2-1 session.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2408416)   #6
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what you have said I would just go for the ARDs test. As MG said that £200.00 will pay for a race entry.