Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 21 Mar 2002, 09:52 (Ref:240716)   #1
surf82
Rookie

surf82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hungyew

well can anyone tell me if i am 19 years old with height 179 cm and weight 65 kg..issit possible for me to race in a go kart without having any problem?Cos i have heard that ppl wit weight of 55kg and above face problems with their kart because of their weight...thx~
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:26 (Ref:240733)   #2
KartingFun
Rookie

KartingFun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weight isn't always a factor. If you run a class such as Rotax Max where all the engines are the same (supposedly) then if your combined weight of kart and driver is over the minimum weight limit you are at a disadvantage to somebody who is smack on the limit. If you run a class where engines are more varied and have different power levels or characteristics, such as gearbox, then weight isn't a factor so much. Your height is not an issue at all so long as you can sit comfortably in the seat with you legs in a good position.
The other thing to look for is that soem kart tracks here in the UK (you didn't say where you race) run special classes within a normal class for "heavy" drivers. These are for drivers with a minimum weight only and usually allow bigger drivers to compete with the rest of the drivers but for their own "heavy" trophies. Again, Rotax Max tend to run this but you need to check with your loacl clubs.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:39 (Ref:240739)   #3
surf82
Rookie

erm.one more question..rotax max is the cart with gear?and issit 19 yrs old is too "old" to enter a kart racing?(cos i have the dream to enter F3 at least)
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:46 (Ref:240744)   #4
KartingFun
Rookie

Rotax Max is a one make engine class. Is 19 years too old ? Hmm, not sure. You can probably get to F3 IF you are good enough but will probably have to fund yourself. I don't know much about car racing really - no desire to do it, I just love my karting !
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:58 (Ref:240750)   #5
surf82
Rookie

oh..thx for answering my question...but it's all just about the dream..well since u r coming from a karting background...since when u started it?did u entered any racing champs and won any of it?amd u posses ur own kart?it's a rich man game...
Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:14 (Ref:240794)   #6
KartingFun
Rookie

Kartings a bit wierd on costs really. Like a lot of 'equipment' sports, it's costly to get started because you need all the equipment but then it can be very reasonable. I had a Rotax Max a while back which was very reliable and the costs to run it were quite low because of that.
I've been karting on and off for about 4 years but haven't managed a full season yet due to various work, home, life commitments. I gues my best result was runner-up in the 1998 South West Championships in England. I raced in a 250cc gearbox then. I sold that and bought a Rotax Max but didn't like the racing so I have just bought a 125cc gearbox which I have high hopes for. This should be my first full season if nothing crops up and the kart I have should be competitive enough to get me to the front - time will tell. I've tried many sports in my life but karting is the only one I've really stuck with.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:25 (Ref:240799)   #7
surf82
Rookie

why u never enter the higher rank of other auto racing?
Old 21 Mar 2002, 12:30 (Ref:240808)   #8
KartingFun
Rookie

It doesn't appeal basically. I'm 32 now so any chance of a living in racing has gone. I'm not good enough and karting provides what I want at a reasonable cost. The only thing I do aspire to is long circuit kart racing. Basically the same gearbox karts but on normal race car circuits. Need a bit more cash and a lot more knowledge to do that bu maybe one day.
Old 21 Mar 2002, 13:15 (Ref:240836)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
19 is not old to enter karting in fact i was 23 before i ever had my first race , ok so I havent progressed onto cars (for money reasons) but im sure 19 is still young enough to break into cars if you have the talent and of course a good budget behind you.

I also weigh about 62 kg and this has never been a problem for me , in fact I would like more wieght on me as I am still under the mandatory weight limit for my class and have to bolt lead to my seat to bring me up to 135 kg which is the limit for clubman light in Australia.
so i dont think 55kg is any problem to worry about , and i doubt if the height is either 176cm you say hmmmmmm about 10 cm taller then me i dont see that as a problem in karting.

good luck with your karting and i hope you can go further if you like , but karts are the best way to start and many like mr kartingfun above me and myself will enjoy karting for many years to come.

welcome to ten tenths BTW both of you
Old 21 Mar 2002, 13:32 (Ref:240860)   #10
surf82
Rookie

hey marcus..thx a lot for ur opinion...avctually i am 65 kg in weight and 179 tall...quite thin type ler...
u start karting at 19?wow...but i think need to put a lot of budget and effort in rite?well..all the best for u marcus and thx for "karting fun" too...maybe we shud keep in contact from time to time...cos over here in malaysia i got a lot of story to tell both of u..oh ya both of u famvy in F1 too?maybe we can share our opinion too~..c u guys~!
Old 21 Mar 2002, 21:11 (Ref:241093)   #11
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I started when I was 48, so 19 seems very young, and my son stated when he was 16.

The weight really depends on what your local rules are.

In in Australia we run at least two weight divisions per class. I run in the heavy section of my class as I weigh about 84 Kilos. I have to add ballast to get up to the minimum weight of 150 kilos for kart and driver.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 20:34 (Ref:243092)   #12
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my boyfriend and I will be sharing a Rotax Max, he's about 80kgs which will be dead on the weight and I'm nearer 50kgs so I'll have to put 30kgs of lead on!

My brother is about the same weight as you Surf, he can pretty much race what he likes so you probably won't have a problem.

Anyway, my dad was 36 when he started in 1994, I'm 20 and starting this year, and my boyfriend is 23 and also starting this year. Only my brother was normal, he was 9!

Takuma Sato was 19 when he started racing, he only ever did funkarts and look where he is now!