Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jul 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2510777)   #326
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Did anyone watch Pre War race that was held at dawn on Saturday?
Old 29 Jul 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2510863)   #327
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly not John. Saturday AM we arrived on circuit around 10;30, having taken an hour to get from the A43 near enough! It was mad out there. Neither Friday or Sunday were anywhere near as busy.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2510902)   #328
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I observed in my mirror a blue car rather sideways exiting Woodcote ( or rather, not exiting it) after I had just taken the chequered flag if that counts........
Old 29 Jul 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2510913)   #329
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
so was the drivers canteen.. or have I missed something subtle?
I doubt it, subtle is not a state of mind I've ever been known to subscribe to, leastways not according to er indors.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2510949)   #330
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
but probably no where near as dangerous as the antics of one birdcage driver leaving the pits during the Woodcote race, how the other two cars missed and avoided a coming together pure luck of the Gods! .
Didn't look that close from where i was sat!! I sussed where Doddy was the other chap can't of done a full minute stop if he was near Dodd !!!
Old 29 Jul 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2511075)   #331
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
And he went from an easy second to third!
Old 29 Jul 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2511213)   #332
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh View Post
Didn't look that close from where i was sat!! I sussed where Doddy was the other chap can't of done a full minute stop if he was near Dodd !!!
bet there was just enough room for that finger you have missing
Old 29 Jul 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2511238)   #333
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few images from the 3 days
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4561.jpg   IMG_4685.jpg   IMG_8295.jpg  

IMG_8373.jpg   IMG_8635.jpg   IMG_8111.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2511380)   #334
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luckily,the inverted Mini is carrying the number of 69!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 05:26 (Ref:2511389)   #335
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lots of bits of trim hanging off various Minis in the pics I've seen so far. Can't be contact so must be lax preparation.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2511407)   #336
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
go on youtube thers a video on there, the front suspension collapsed at the apex so the car dug in and rolled...looks like a turtle on its back lol
Old 30 Jul 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2511458)   #337
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I suspect it's more a case of poor design! The rear live axle is wider than the front track. When it started to rise, the front corner just dug in.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2511489)   #338
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Did anyone watch Pre War race that was held at dawn on Saturday?
John, as you would expect, I certainly did. A lovely fast drive by Gareth ahead of a superb field of cars. I took loads of pics and this race will, naturally, be the one I kick off with when I get the review underway. As ever sorry not to catch up with you (will e-m, shortly).
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2511627)   #339
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 1 - BRDC 500 Trophy for Pre War Sports Cars

48 starters; 39 Finishers.

Over 55 minutes, with a compulsory pit stop, although some drivers went solo. A magnificent grid of cars, the first pic shows the course car leading them into Abbey for the rolling start. At the head is Gareth Burnett in John Ruston's supercharged 2 litre Alta. His qualifying lap was fully 7.8 seconds faster than Neumark/Hope Alfa 8C Monza, so barring mishap, there was only ever likely to be one winner! The second pic shows the two Delages together on lap 2. We wouldn't get this view again as the Heelas/Guyatt D6-75 (39)pulled in to retire at the end of the lap. The Warden/Mahany D6 Course (42) however went on to finish a fine 8th. In the next pic, the Helmut Rothenburger's 4.5 litre Invicta S-type 133 (34) dwarfs the Riley Brooklands (41) of Wardale/Cobden. The Riley retired after 36 minutes whereas the Invicta finished 32nd. Pic 4 is of the 3 - litre Blower Bentley (15) of Adam and Rachel Singer, and since there are some lovely flowing locks tumbling from the helmet, I'm guessing it is the latter driving. They were last of the finishers. Pic 5 is of Burnett, driving well within himself, already well ahead, exiting Abbey. He went on to win by over a minute and a half! Pic 5, and already several laps into the race but still plenty of jockeying of positions going on. Two Lagondas side by side in the mix, the one on the inside is the Mark Butterworth, who has just locked up his brakes to avoid hitting the back of the Stutz Pike Peaks Special of Guyatt/Warrington. Butterworth driving solo was 17th, the Stutz, 16th, and they were still almost this close after 55 minutes of racing. The other Lagonda is no 18, that of Joe Harding which retired just before the half hour mark. Other cars in view are a couple of Astons and the Michael Strasoldo ex factory Team Talbot 105 (46) which finished 15th.

To do this and many of the other races justice, I will be posting more than once, so more pics from this race to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9494wl6.jpg   IMG_9545wl6.jpg   IMG_9553wl6.jpg  

IMG_9565wl6.jpg   IMG_9572wl6.jpg   IMG_9639wl6.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Jul 2009 at 14:07.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2511690)   #340
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - BRDC 500 Trophy for Pre War Sports Cars. (continued)

That very experienced pairing of Clive Morley and Tim Llewellyn brouht this Bentley 3/4.5 (29) home in 13th, whilst Nigel Batchelor tries to set the grass alight with his 4.5 (1) on his way to 30th. David Ozanne's Aston Martin 15/98 Speed Model (9) was 20th. Martin Overington slips the Bugatti T35B (33)up the inside of James and Stuart Morely Bentley 3 litre (30). However, the Bugatti retired in the 43rd minute. The Bentley was 28th. The sun glints off the Alfa 6C 1750 of Alex and Tania Pilkington, who finished 38th. The Peter Neumark/Simon Hope Alfa Monza (3) was unable to hold on to 2nd having been caught by the Frazer Nash Super Sports of Patrick Blakeney Edwards and Andrew Hall. I'll probably do one more post for this race.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9720wl6.jpg   IMG_9734wl6.jpg   IMG_9776wl6.jpg  

IMG_9810wl6.jpg   IMG_9821wl6.jpg   IMG_9851wl6.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2511699)   #341
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks for the coverage!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2511738)   #342
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - BRDC 500 Trophy for Pre War Sports Cars (Continued)

OK, one more. I'm sure I've missed out on some peoples favourites, but short of including a pic of every car, it's inevitable I guess.

The other Alfa 8C Monza was driven by Christopher and Peter Mann to 7th. Pic 2 shows a group coming through Club - Behind the Butterworth Lagonda, is the other Alta Sports (16) of Sam Stretton and Chris Chilcott which finished 5th, and the Jaguar SS100 of Anthony Hancock which finished 26th. Car 12 is the Bentley TT 3 litre of Andrew and Richard Frankel who finished 36th. The next pic shows the Talbot AV105 of John Polson who took 19th. The car that finished 2nd, mentioned in the previous post - the Frazer Nash Super Sports (49) of PB-E and AH. Behind it, and I'm sure running it close during the early part of the race is another Super Sports (44) in the hands of Charles Gillett and Justin Maeers. Pathetic 'arty' one, but I like it, is the Holly Mason/Charles Knill-Jones Aston Martin Ulster LM17 which finished 6th and followed here by the Alvis Speed 25 (24) of John Paul Mason which finished 18th!

So that, I think, is it. Interesting top ten:-

Alta - 1, 5
Frazer Nash - 2, 4
Alfa - 3, 7
Aston - 6, 9, 10
Delage - 8
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9823wl6.jpg   IMG_9878wl6.jpg   IMG_9883wl6.jpg  

IMG_9885wl6.jpg   IMG_9946wl6.jpg   IMG_9966wl6.jpg  

Old 30 Jul 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2511813)   #343
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRDC 500

One item of note, Simon Hope gifted second place to Patrick Blakeney-Edwards when he lost it on the last corner ? whether he needed to overtake the back markers as just sitting behind would have made second place safe.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2511830)   #344
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
And he went from an easy second to third!
I was terribly sad about that....!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2511846)   #345
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*snigger* Behave!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2511851)   #346
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Patch would have got him anyway and what was that signal he was giving Hopeless when he passed him?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2511853)   #347
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The other Alfa 8C Monza was driven by Christopher and Peter Mann to 7th. Pic 2 shows a group coming through Club - Behind the Butterworth Lagonda, is the other Alta Sports (16) of Sam Stretton and Chris Chilcott which finished 5th, and the Jaguar SS100 of Anthony Hancock which finished 26th. Car 12 is the Bentley TT 3 litre of Andrew and Richard Frankel who finished 36th. The next pic shows the Talbot AV105 of John Polson who took 19th. The car that finished 2nd, mentioned in the previous post - the Frazer Nash Super Sports (49) of PB-E and AH. Behind it, and I'm sure running it close during the early part of the race is another Super Sports (44) in the hands of Charles Gillett and Justin Maeers. Pathetic 'arty' one, but I like it, is the Holly Mason/Charles Knill-Jones Aston Martin Ulster LM17 which finished 6th and followed here by the Alvis Speed 25 (24) of John Paul Mason which finished 18th!

So that, I think, is it. Interesting top ten:-

Alta - 1, 5
Frazer Nash - 2, 4
Alfa - 3, 7
Aston - 6, 9, 10
Delage - 8
Interesting race and good report, thanks John.

We tend, in this world of what we perceive as close racing, to discount these cars. The fact is there was always a big diversity of speed (just look at the Brooklands results) yet the racing was about how fast each car could be made to go. This race shows (for me) that the old cars still perform but their limits are pretty much unchanged by technology. Hence the old handicap system may well be proved to be the right approach.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2511889)   #348
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
BRDC 500

Just watched race on Motors TV - a certain John Rushton had more airtime with his stopwatch than most of the race cars! Who was it who said no such thing as bad publicity?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2511892)   #349
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
"Ruston"
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2511893)   #350
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Whoops......... digititis strikes again!