Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Nov 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2576119)   #76
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
You've got to love the main-stream media...

Somebody better tell them that Courtney never won the Macau GP.

They don't say he won, just he beat some other drivers.

Jeff

Old 5 Nov 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2576124)   #77
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Toads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That maybe the case, alfacors. It's no secret that momentum is building for the Macau F3's in certain paddocks.

But if you read what others have mentioned in that article. You'll see it's not something punters are prepared to embrace just yet.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2576138)   #78
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8 View Post
They don't say he won, just he beat some other drivers.

Jeff

The bit above that says: "Gold Coast V8 driver James Courtney, a former winner of the Macau GP, backed a push to sign the Formula 3 series."

A very easy fact for the journo to check, one would have thought.

But anyway, I really hope that if the F3 event happens it'll boost the national series. That's something that Champ Cars could never do.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2576142)   #79
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Courtney won the first leg of the Macau Grand Prix in 2003.

I would love to see Indy back, even if it meant the race date has to change to earlier in the year to accommodate it.

For me personally, I would more likely come over from NZ to watch Indycars/V8s, but probably not for F3/V8s.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2576143)   #80
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Just reading the comments below that news article... it's amusing to hear the view that the lack of 'name' drivers in world F3 will hurt crowd figures. It's not like the Champ Car or Indy Car set were really house hold names here in Aus.

The problem really is the fact that CC cars were 800hp turbo-charged monsters that looked and sounded like they were about to break through the walls and rip the whole city apart. Meanwhile, F3s are itsy-bitsy 2 litres that buzz about trying to avoid curbs.

Not quite the same spectacle (although possibly better racing).
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2576153)   #81
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
James Courtney won the first leg of the Macau Grand Prix in 2003.
And he was absolutely dominating the second leg before disaster struck.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2576834)   #82
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
Meanwhile, F3s are itsy-bitsy 2 litres that buzz about trying to avoid curbs.
Oh really?

F3 at Indy 2008
Old 6 Nov 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2576836)   #83
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Oh really?
F3 at Indy 2008
Hehe, you got me, great shots Nathan.

I was expecting someone to pick out the fact that the Champ Car motors were only 650cc bigger than F3s...
Old 6 Nov 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2576837)   #84
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always gotta factor in the turbo equivalency though, and they do sound a lot louder/deeper
Old 7 Nov 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2577834)   #85
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My take on the event as a first time racegoer to this event and some things to consider.
1 As a Gold Coast local is it just me or have we had to put up with more disruptions to the traffic flow than ever before this year so far, with the constant Triathlons, Parkland redevelopment and of course the Race track itself being set up. I know that nearly all of the people I work with in the heart of Surfers feel the same and nearly all of us at said workplace that like to follow motorsport think that it is getting beyond a joke and not worth all the traffic hassles.
2 The world is going through a tough patch - no denying it! Tourism pending IS down and that is blatantly obvious here on the coast.
My wife works at one of the larger motels and she was telling me that they were only 1/10th full up to the Friday night of the event this year. Previously they were already full. HOWEVER she did back that up by saying that they had not expected any great surge in bookings for the event as their bookings were down over 50% compared to last year overall anyway. The tourists are just not coming to the coast. They are nomally booked for Scholies now but so far have none.
The really interesting thing she said was that the late influx was interstate guests who had come to the event as a last minute decision after the V8 legends attempted to step in. Full credit to the drivers and the Bowden family in particular for the late minute availability.

My place of employment images that, as we are down about 40% on last year on income and is a major player in the family entertainment scene in the heart of Cavill Mall till midnight every day.
Add to that the prohibitive ticket prices and of course the crowd would stay away.
Paying $105 gate entry per adult with no stand seat on the Sunday is a joke. Admittedly as the stands were half empty anyway it was pretty easy to just walk in halfway through the day and just sit down.
$340 for a seat on the start finish straight - who are they kidding. And $540 near the Chicanes - even worse.
The ONLY reason I went this year and never in all the years previous was the V8 Legends. I remembered watching them when I was a kid.
Yes I paid the $105 to get in and while definitely a luxury for me (read - could not afford to take the rest of the family) I do not regret it and had a ball.
The racing was pathetic from a viewing aspect as all you got to see was the cars flash past your piece of mesh fence and what was on the big screen. If I had wanted to watch it on TV I would have stayed at home. This is the advantage a real racetrack has over a street circuit - at least most of the time you can see more of the action in person.
The event was very drawn out on track with long periods of nothing and small fields in the support categories.
Yes the V8 Legends were just an on track display and not an actual race but I went there not expecting otherwise. Dick, Jim and Kevin Bartlett were all still showing the crowd what they went and especially sounded like - give me the sound of Beechys Monaro over Team Kellys Turbo 4s (joking) any day.
Despite being a Motorsport fan I think and it is just my personal opinion that the event has run its course and it is time for it to go. The coast does need a rapid transit system more than a race quite simply because it is growing too fast.
While a Goodwood style event would be fantastic and I would go for sure, there is simply just not the room to pit all the vehicles. The outcry over Cockroaches idea to extend even more into Macintosh Park would be huge.
If F2 or 3 and Avesco V8s next year I will stay at home.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2577845)   #86
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here...

Quote:
Gold Coast SuperGP part of $2m Grand Slam
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

By Damien Stannard

November 07, 2009 11:00pm

ONE of the biggest paydays in Australian sport could await the winner of next year's Gold Coast SuperGP if V8 organisers have their way

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 7 Nov 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2577905)   #87
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
got to admire CochOs business plan

I'm no fan of his tactics but I never cease to be impressed as Coch0 pulls another weapon out of his arsenal, nothing to do with the racing, but how he comes up with another attack on the public purse, the good ol' taxpayer ...

Supercharge to survive or turbo the 2-10 profits ... will Mr Williams buy it? Who is going to fund the $2mil?
Old 8 Nov 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2578189)   #88
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
F3s are itsy-bitsy 2 litres that buzz about trying to avoid curbs.

Not quite the same spectacle (although possibly better racing).
Seen them in England. Sound is pretty tinny, but the racing is 300 percent better than Indycar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSzd8pYP50
Old 9 Nov 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2579187)   #89
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this is an interesting article regarding the GC event:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...d_coast_event/

Lets see if it comes to it......