Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 May 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2695429)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Grand Prix 2 track creations

Hi there all,

I know i'm posting this in 2 seperate forums but I believe it really does cover both sections

I'm looking to start creating some of my tracks in GP2. This is an old favourite of mine, that isn't as complex as R-Factor, therefore not quite as enfuriating/confusing for someone like me!

I've downloaded the GP2 Track Editor. I have managed to get rid of the Varianté Bassa (?) as well as the final chicane at Imola, but obviously the computer's lines are all wrong, and I could barely negotiate my way fully around the track.

I so desperately need some help as this is something i'd love to do. I wondered if anyone could help me, or atleast point me to a handy video tutorial?

Thanks in advance,

Selby
Old 21 May 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2695521)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Selby, you've been asking around about track creation in games previously, if I remember rightly?

I wish I could help you, this is something I'm interested in too. I haven't got GP2, but I have Grand Prix 3 (dunno whether it has a track editor - haven't checked). The closest I've ever got to doing this is using the trial of Bob's Track Builder, which isn't as hard as it looks.

Just to drive the track, you only have to lay it out if I remember rightly, and thats it. Its just adding the detail thats complex.

Sorry I'm not helping here, but I would if I could. Good Luck!
Old 24 May 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2696981)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh i've bought up the idea before generally, but this is more specifically aimed at GP2 It's always been a favourite of mine, plus I used to use the GP2edit years ago, so it was kind of familiar to me.

Also, the graphics are pretty basic on GP2, so my rationale is that it's hopefully a little easier to edit.

I had a little go with the track editor - managed to remove the Varianté Bassa and the other chicane at Imola to make the long straight it has now. Obviously, I had the problem that all the computer AI was messed, and the driving line was trying to steer me in to barriers :/

So yeah, I desperately need some help getting started

Selby
Old 26 May 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2698907)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume we are not talking about the (roughly) 1992 video game GP2?

bio
Old 27 May 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2699066)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Oh yes, bio... The 1996 release based on the 1994 season.

Do you have any information mate? I so desperately need some information on how to create/edit a track..

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2700042)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Hate to disappoint you, but I only know this game as a user, I loved it and played itfor a very long time, but I don't know anything about creating/editing tracks for it

But I'll have a look around.

bio
Old 28 May 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2700044)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Forgot to mention I still have the game installed and running on my pc, so if anyone has a created/edited track I'd be more than happy to test it - or at least to drive around it.

bio
Old 28 May 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2700047)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Have you tried here?

http://grandprix2.de/gp2forum/viewfo...f7f103c528bdf5

I dunno about the site but it seems to be running, the last comment dates seem pretty recent.

bio
Old 28 May 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2700049)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Tutorials:

http://grandprix2.de/Anleitung/tutus/tutus.htm

(Sorry I post these in seperate comments, I should've put them in one big one...)

bio
Old 28 May 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2700146)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Not a problem, bio - Unfortunately, I did have a little scroll through one of the tutorials for the track editing, and it just didn't seem to sink in for me.

I just really wish someone could intepret it, or if there was a tutorial video on the basics. I just can't really get my head round it. I did try a few of the bits it mentioned in the tutorial, and as mentioned, got as far as taking away the Variante Basse chicanes at Imola to how it is now. I had no idea how to change the AI though, or making sense of the pitlane entry etc etc

Selby
Old 7 Jun 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2706059)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
ECQ, you should better try here. And please try mines!
Old 7 Jun 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2706097)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Ah nice one mate. So you've had alot of experience then I take it?

Would you mind talking to me in some form of chat, ie MSN or Facebook? I could really do with just a few pointers to get me started, and that's probably the quickest means of doing so. It'd be deeply appreciated passing this knowledge on.

Thank you,

Selby
Old 7 Jun 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2706322)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
About the "cc-line" (the line computer-driven cars take and keyboard human drivers are suggested to take), do it only after you finished designing the corners. If you move any by the slightest margin, the CC-line will get corrupted. If you remove it, the game will put it in the center of the track, so you will be abled to drive and try the course, just not take the apexes or race against the computer.

You must do the CC-line by trying piece by piece in the game -using the graphics of the track editor won't work. One parameter is the length of the piece, the other one is the "curviness" (how tight or straight it is). First choose the length (that's easy), then change the curviness slowly.

About the scenery, it's composed of objects (cranes, stands, bridges, ads) and exterior surfaces. The former is easy to use; cut and paste the templates, change the parameters and you will put a nice yellow crane in the outer zone of your chicane or hairpin. The latter is trickier. It's made of gates which cut the track transversally, where you put up to eight points some distance to the left/right and up/down. These points get connected to the ones of the next gate in the track. Then you can put textures on the stripes. I was terrible at doing that.

I've forgotten most of the things. Use that forum, they are doing new tracks today. I'll write a couple of tools now and here.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2706568)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thank you, again!

Trouble is, I really need ultimate foundation level... I don't even mind about the scenary right now, I just need a driveable track! :/

Selby
Old 8 Jun 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2706579)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Now I can't even find the track editor

Selby
Old 8 Jun 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2706713)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
http://www.grandprix2.de/Util/util.htm

Download GP2NOCD, GP2Lap, Track Editor and Jameditor. To change cars you will need GP2edit and Carshape Editor.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2706882)   #17
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wow, might get this just to make tracks - track ed looks a bit like an advanced version of Sketchup
Attached Thumbnails
BABABABA.JPG  
Old 15 Jun 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2712696)   #18
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Again, this is not to do with Grand Prix 2, but rather with Grand Prix Legends. If you look http://home.online.no/~bi-knu/editing/ there, you'll find track editing for Grand Prix Legends, a game I have never played, but now have every intention of doing so.

It looks simplistic again, and I reckon using the tutorial even I could do this.

Might use it for one of my tracks!
Old 15 Jun 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2712699)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Graphics of GPL are terribly old. They say that the physics are very realistic, but I could never complete a lap at the Nordschleife driving those wingless F1s.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2712765)   #20
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question is then "Is it your driving or the realism of the game that's bad?".
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2712785)   #21
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Question is then "Is it your driving or the realism of the game that's bad?".
Hehe

To be fair, I think GPL in some ways looks better than GP2, tho I have no idea how old both games are, so I dunno.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2713434)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Good question, Quintin. The same happens with me with Richard Burns Rally, so the first choice is rather probable.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2713768)   #23
bio
Veteran

Hungary
GPL is painfully "realistic" in the way it is *******g impossible to complete a lap without spinning, kissing a wall and crashing - likely within one lap
Great game!

bio