Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 26 Aug 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2750550)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monthly

I've called this monthly as that seems to be about as often as I post a design these days. This effort I admit has layering issues which I've spent too long trying to sort out, so isn't presented in colour, rather just as a line drawing.

Consisting of a 3 track layout, Monthly has both clockwise and anticlockwise short club circuits of around 2 miles with a larger combined anticlockwise circuit of just over 3.5 miles.

4 images, showing the overall layout, and then the 2 club circuits and the GP layout with corners numbered.

In review I'm thinking it each might actually be a more of a motorbike circuit than a car circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
05_8 plan.jpg   05_8 North.jpg   05_8 South.jpg  

05_8 GP.jpg  
Old 26 Aug 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2750668)   #2
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the full circuit but honestly I think that if you just scaled up the more southern short circuit to something more like 2.3 miles you could have a fantastic track for club racers and lower level professional series. It's a bit of a departure from your usual style but I think that would work quite well.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2750973)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I agree. The southern circuit is the real gem in there. Zooming it out in length would be a great idea indeed.

There is a part of the full circuit that I don't like. This may be because my design philosophy has changed somewhat in recent years. Annoying drivers with an overabundance of sharp corners used to be fun (for reference, look at the Hague circuit from way back in my "Opening my archives" thread), but isn't anymore. Today, I feel the number of sharp corners should be limited and there should be at least one corner on track which offers an overtaking opportunity in 3rd gear or higher. That's why the section of Turns 8-9-10-11 is so not my style. Yes, I agree that it looks modern, but overtaking and processional races are always a problem on these modern looking tracks, caused in part by the fact that they all require a similar kind of setup for a machine, based on them having "a little bit of everything" when it comes to the kind of corners and straights that they have.

The section of Turns 2-3-4-5-6-7 is a great section, but for the full circuit, I'd like to stretch out the straight between 2 and 3 to a length that's comparable to the start-finish straight so that the sharp corner Turn 3 is not wasted but can be used for overtaking. Lengthening the straight between 14 and 15 could also create another overtaking opportunity, even when you just move the Esses of 13 and 14 further towards Turn 12.

I have no idea on how I would "fix" Turns 8-9-10-11 but I feel Turn 8 should be the overtaking opportunity in 4th gear.

I hope you do not feel that my suggestions for an edit would be too harsh, but I realize that they would make it a different track, maybe to be called Montlhy, which is not a typo but an hommage to Montlhery ;-)
Old 28 Aug 2010, 02:11 (Ref:2751280)   #4
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
resir014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice track I think. Perfect for club, national and even international races.