Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1692885)   #1
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Purley Silverstone 1977

Having seen the wreckage of the LEC CRP1 at the Donington collection a few times I need a few things clearing up. I bump in to Keith Holland now and again (but haven't seen him for a couple of years) and he tells me that it was a paramedic in the spectator enclosure who gave David initial medical attention including reviving him is this correct? Was there a "kill switch" fitted to the car; if so was it not used due to a lack of time? How close is the mock up at Donington to what was left at Silverstone? Hope you guys can help thanks.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1693467)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure about the Paramedic story.

I was marshaling at Woodcote that day. It was when GP's had pre-qualifying and David Purley was about to miss the cut. This all from memory so forgive me if it's not perfect. There'd been a small engine fire during the session which had been put out by a dry powder extinguisher. The car was quickly cleaned up and sent out agin to try and qualify. Unfortunately the dry powder left on the engine was causing the throttle to stick. He had a quick spin at Woodcote, but carried on until he got to Becketts where the throttle stuck wide open and he hit the wall.

I knew some of the marshals at the scene one of whom had been knocked off the bank such was the impact! It was the subject of much converstaion in the bar that evening. They were good experienced guys who I believe would have dealt with the situation properly. I do seem to remember stories of the engine still running after the accident so don't understand why the kill switch wasn't used - if it was accessable.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1694335)   #3
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
David survived an impact of around 180 G.
An incredible figure!!!

I have a photo of the car which if allowed i will post.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 28 Aug 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1694400)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Shows the big difference in F1 cars 30years ago from todays doesn't it.No frontal protection then,just the drivers feet and a couple of sheets of aluminium.If I remember wasn't '77 when they introduced deformable side structures?.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1694402)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its supposed to have been one of the highest survived G-forces experienced by a person. The picture here is truely frightening. Is the front of the car separated from the remainder and just resting against it... or is that concertinaed ? Purley was one amazing human being, that's for sure.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1694413)   #6
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Concertinared back,in those days the drivers feet were usually ahead of the front suspension.The front wheels and suspension have been pushed almost back in the drivers lap.Amazing escape.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1695624)   #7
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Thanks for the pic "rescue dude" truly mind boggling that he could have survived in what is left in that tiny space..... It must have taken a painfully long time to get him out, I read somewhere else they had to use drills and saws to cut away the wreckage.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1696068)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Concertinared back,in those days the drivers feet were usually ahead of the front suspension.The front wheels and suspension have been pushed almost back in the drivers lap.Amazing escape.
I too heard that they had to cut around him to get him out, hence my reasoning that the photo was of what was left after the rescue. Its all the more frightening indeed if that's how it folded back in on him.
I've been involved in motorsport all my life [37 years] and things such as the position of a driver's feet, which didn't concern me in the slightest years ago, felt shocking when I was looking at the old F5000 and F-Atlantic cars at the Silverstone Classic a few weeks ago.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1697716)   #9
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I remember wasn't '77 when they introduced deformable side structures?.
73 in F1 and 74 in the lesser formulae, IIRC. Frontal protection came much later..
Old 31 Aug 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1698895)   #10
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I do seem to remember stories of the engine still running after the accident so don't understand why the kill switch wasn't used - if it was accessable.
The older style 'kill Switches' were not/are not that easy to find, especially when you have the amount of deformity & crush as in the Purley crash. It takes time(Seems like hours) to clear the debris, before you find it. Don't forget once the Firbreglass has gone the sign writing disappears.

I write from first hand expereince of a Chevron in the Bank @ Shelsley Walsh's Kennel Bend. It took two of us what seemed like ages to find the Switch, with the engine revving to it's limit, before we could attend to the driver.

Stay safe,

Regards,

Jim
Old 2 Sep 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1700025)   #11
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That was such a big accident that even if his feet had been a foot behind the axle line he would still have been in serious trouble.

Having seen the remains, at Donington, I find it amazing that he survived at all, let alone with all his limbs.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1700248)   #12
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
This is a good side on picture of the Lec http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/1...-03-20-031.jpg,you can see the kill switch sticker infront of the mirror,compare it with the earlier picture and you can see why they couldn't find the kill switch.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1708922)   #13
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised to learn that David Purley's Lec did not have a steering-wheel mounted kill button in 1977.

When he had his all-too-short outing in our car in 1972 he insisted upon a kill button on the steering wheel as he had had a near miss with a March earlier in the year due to not having such a switch.

Ironically, it was that kill switch wire that snagged, pulled out and stopped the engine, ruining his race at Brands.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1709139)   #14
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember his accident well and it took ages for him to recover.

It was so sad when he died in his plane just of the shore at ( I think ) near Worthing where LEC Refrigeration was based.

Are they still in business as I worked for a company back in 1969 that sold their products?

Paula Hamilton
Old 14 Sep 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1710094)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, they're still around

http://www.lec.co.uk/About.aspx
Old 28 Dec 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1800644)   #16
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
I understand there were 2 Pilbeam built CRP1 where is the other one?
Old 28 Dec 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1800686)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are both in Donington, the wreck and the second car.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2827676)   #18
Non Stick Nick
Rookie

Non Stick Nick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found this thread

As it says, just found this.
I was one of the Rescue Unit crew when David hit the sleepers. I saw it happen. One one the Sliverstone Incident guys gave the signal for a Rescue Unit and we were only yards away.
I remember that when I saw the car I saw David's head and shoulder and couldn't figure out where the rest of him was!
We had a para medic on board, Bill Reynolds i think, he administered gas & air while the rest of us cut him out.
Anothe rescue unit arrived shortly after.
It took a while but we got him out.
I remember an open fracture of one of his legs.
Subsequently I visited him in hospital at Midhurst.
Really nice guy.
Regards
Nick Jennings
Old 8 Feb 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2827710)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

Sorry that you had to witness such a harrowing incident that day.

Hope you continue to contribute to the section of the forum as a whole!