Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2959260)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do see your point actually

As you may imagine I know the Ring a bit, but these were my first laps, so as most newcomers there I was amazed at the gradient.

Perhaps coz of this knowledge I was going a little faster than a full on newbie would so the dips were taking their toll a bit more perhaps.

I would EXPECT a huge drop at Paddock, so might know to sort of stres for it, whereas some of the Ring areas are not so much steep but rolling! Bringing it on.

Just so damn frustrating. I will go back and maybe try and do some karting in the meantime to test bands, meds etc!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2959292)   #27
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Personally I've never had a problem with motion sickness on the road or in a race.
However my other half suffers and can't even turn round in the car to talk to anyone on the back seat or read for more than a minute or so.
She takes anti sickness tablets for boat trips (Kwells) and wears wrist bands that supposedly work on pressure points (although I think it's bo****ks) but hey if it works it's OK.
As has been pointed out looking at a fixed reference point on the horizon does help while on a boat but driving a car could cause a few problems !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2959401)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is kinda weird guys that I dont really get it that much being a passenger, I know I cant read in a car much, but I can a bit. Ships are bad for me, but I dont use them so hey!

It is a little odd that driving in a solid, fast car makes it happen, when I never get it in a road car as a driver! I have never taken anything for it htough, so at leat I have somewhere to start.

Am already planning another trip back there, as anyone knows once you start it is very hard to stop at the Ring, utterly amazing, awesome place, total mecca for petrolheads!

Thanks so much for all the advice.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2959696)   #29
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surrounded by family who get motion sick. Dramamine non drowsy is my drug smuggling when coming back from the US on business trips. everyone swears by them.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2959719)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Winton View Post
I am surrounded by family who get motion sick. Dramamine non drowsy is my drug smuggling when coming back from the US on business trips. everyone swears by them.
WIKI -"Dimenhydrinate (dramamine) "has been reported to be abused for non-medicinal purposes. Street drug users abuse DMH for the acute effects of euphoric sensations and hallucinations,"

haven't checked the WADA list of banned substances but sounds like one should be ultra-careful with it, I wouldn't fancy racing knowing the chap alongside on the grid was full of it.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2959723)   #31
billyboy205gti
Rookie

billyboy205gti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the first couple of times i went to Cadwell I vommed. First time i was there the sickness feeling came as a surprise to me. I wasn't particularly tense or nervous as i had no idea what to expect. However I had eaten so i put it down to that.

the second time I limited my food intake but still vommed ( not in the car I hasten to add) so I put this down to motion sickness.

I went back again to Cadwell last year for the first time in 6 years. I was careful with what I ate/drank and this time did not vom. In fact i was absolutely fine.

The only thing that I feel made a difference was that I was a lot fitter.
I think in this case the OP needs to look at his overall fitness - as improving this will make a difference to susceptibility to nausea.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 06:46 (Ref:2959837)   #32
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be honest I also think familiarity will help, your ability to know whats coming and prepare somewaht for it helps.

Fitness will help but motion sickness has nothing to do with fitness, all sorts of people can get it, this much I have gleaned, but also I dont think it does you any harm being fitter.

Eating stuff can make it worse if you get it and like you billy it took me by surprise as before I ahve only ever got it on go karts and coz they are so specific and you ae largely doing severe 180 degree turns at high speed I put it down to that, hence my shock when it happened!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2960013)   #33
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nasty experience, hope you get over it, but I must ask.

You first registered on this site in 2000, eleven years ago, when you chose the username of 'chunder', a widely used slang term for vomit/ing , allegedly fron the "Watch under!" cry at the window. So are you nausea-prone, get travel sick? Can't just be your karting, surely that made you choose that.
Why use that name, but then be so unpleasantly surprised when it hit you on the 'Ring?

John
Old 23 Sep 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2960116)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Its a long story really, and nothing to do with being sick! I only get that usually when i drink too much!

The karting thing, well I ahve only ever been sick once as I didnt know what the problem was until i came home and felt so bad! then I was, after that I tend to stop before it happens!

I think karting is a no no for me, just too switchback and sickness inducing, I am fairly sure that given the chance I would be hopeless in things liek Caterham or slick shod single seaters or GT cars!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2960188)   #35
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bad luck!
Frsh air important, IMHO. can't get much fresher than on a kart,but have a sallon windows open. Did you try the wrist bands? I'd avoid anti-carsick drugs - they are sedatives
If it's any comfort, accopridng to this, Schumacher gets car sick!
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/853844-...-gets-car-sick

JOhn
Old 24 Sep 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2960292)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
John, thanks again for the insight, I am going to go to the doctor's first and see if they can offer up anything, maybe try and get some tests to see if my ears are top notch. Then we will try some remedies, Mum uses the wrist bands and has lots of success as a passenger in cars and on boats, so let's hope it's a genetic thing and I can find an easy fix!

If it helps, I went to a theme park the other month and didnt get sick at all, I didnt go on repeated times but managed to go on everything, upside down, corkscrews, high G etc? Maybe coz it's such a huge dose for a brief time whereas in a quick car its sustained