Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 9 Jun 2002, 13:40 (Ref:308596)   #1
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT/F3 Testing at Castle Combe 8/6/02

Having just spent the day marshalling at Castle Combe, a day split between racing and GT/F3 testing I can only look forward with eager anticipation for the GT/F3 meeting later this month which will be superbly organised by the BRSCC. However where were you GT boys yesterday, I know there is a little clubbie going on at Le Mans next week, but really 5-6 cars out was pitiful. You want these test days, we give our time freely and people even paid to watch you, so what went wrong. I hope that next time you want a test day you will get the same support as you did yesterday, use it or lose it.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 14:32 (Ref:308627)   #2
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, time did indeed hang heavy at times during the day! I know there are good reasons on the organizational side why this idea was tried out, but the GT response was not good.

If the powers that be ( TV??) had allowed the cancelled F3 race ( from Knockhill) to be run, then the day would have been excellent. I think the format could be tried again...but perhaps without Le Mans in the intervening weekend.

As Balders says, roll on the 2 day meeting in two weeks time.

And congratulations to Combe management...each time we visit, there seems to be an improvement somewhere around the circuit! Shall we see 25,000 spectators over 2 days this year?

I'm glad my bed is booked and supper organised.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 20:14 (Ref:308859)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound committment from you boyz.. sorry to hear about lack of cars. at least we're guaranteed 50 cars next weekend!

Looking forward to the weekend after also...
Old 10 Jun 2002, 10:19 (Ref:309386)   #4
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was as shocked as you guys when next to noone turned up. Noise has quite a lot to do with it as well as Le Mans and the fact that we have just finished a very punishing four races in five weeks that included Knockhill and Croft (two of the furthest circuits for quite a few teams). Therfore I think they would rather make sure the cars are well and truly fixed and ready for what will be a very punishing weekend on the cars than risk breaking them after only a handful of laps. I was certainly glad from a driving point of view that there were only a few cars out because it was almost like a private test day. I'm sorry for the people that paid to watch what must have been about as exciting as watching a pen sit on a desk. It'll be much better come race weekend and let's hope the weather stays just the same.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:19 (Ref:309974)   #5
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon thanks for your input it was good to see at least a few of the GTO boys out, what I do not understand is the noise, can you explain. Correct me if I am wrong, the noise level is set higher for a race day than a normal test day, likewise more cars are allowed out on the circuit at any one time, these restrictions must be down to the local planning people. So if I get it right, it is better for a 'Test' day to be held during a race day, you do not have the above restrictions, if I am right it is likely the championship organisers will want the same next year. While I do accept many of the reasons most teams stayed away, they are not doing anything to help their future causes. I can, like many others only look forward to seeing you all out in a couple of weeks time and I hope that those who bothered to turn out will benefit from the experience, we wish you the best of luck - Balders
Old 10 Jun 2002, 21:42 (Ref:310057)   #6
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It unfortunatly comes down to cost too...Shame but true..
Still its a great series, and thankfully the teams make it what it is, good exciting racing.
Old 12 Jun 2002, 18:03 (Ref:311816)   #7
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When is the F3/GT meet at castle combe?
Old 12 Jun 2002, 19:44 (Ref:311933)   #8
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
June 22/23rd
Old 12 Jun 2002, 19:45 (Ref:311934)   #9
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The meeting is on the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd June. If last year is anything to go by it should be really good! However lets hope we get a few more GT cars for the race than we saw testing on Sat.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 00:03 (Ref:312110)   #10
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well I get paid on the 28th so that counts me out
Old 17 Jun 2002, 15:24 (Ref:315458)   #11
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by M Greenslade
what I do not understand is the noise, can you explain.
To be honest neither do I.

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, the noise level is set higher for a race day than a normal test day, likewise more cars are allowed out on the circuit at any one time, these restrictions must be down to the local planning people.
I think this is correct but the noise level is still lower at Castle Combe than other places, even on a race day.

Quote:
if I am right it is likely the championship organisers will want the same next year.
I dare say that the organisers would like to do it again next year.

Quote:
While I do accept many of the reasons most teams stayed away, they are not doing anything to help their future causes.
This is true but there is no easy way to resolve the problem. Castle Combe is a long way for some teams and two 35 minute sessions isn't very much track time. However, it would be impossible to give more testing time to people turning up on someone elses dace day. I for one, do not have the answer.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 16:19 (Ref:315492)   #12
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe I can answer some of the questions.

As defined by the Blue Book, there is a limit of 118dB(A) @ 0.5m, set for the F3's (and Touring cars), the GT's however use 110dB(A) @ 3.0m.

Normal racing has a limit of:-
108dB(A) for racing and sports racing
105dB(a) for everthing else (road derived basically)
This is all at 75% of max revs.

Combe does not differ from anywhere else in these limits, they just have to enforce them.

Being a test day, the limits for the GT's & F3's are not defined by the MSA, it is up to the circuit owner.

As such, the setup on the test day was to use the 118dB(A) limit for both, as finding a sufficiently clear area to test at 3.0m is a tad tricky in the Combe padock.

It would be nice to say that all of the cars had been adequately prepared (i.e. with some packing in the silencers), however this was not the case.
The dayglo orange TVR was not allowed out in the second session as it could not get below 122dB(A).

The local environmental health bods were in attendance, they took note of the static & drive by reading, aswell as going to do readings around the villages.

Any questions?