Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will Win the 2014 SuperCheap Auto Bathurst 1000?
#1 Whincup/Dumbrell - Red Bull 888 HOLDEN 23 25.27%
#2 Tander/Luff - SP Tools HRT HOLDEN 4 4.40%
#4 Holdsworth/Baird - Erebus AMG 0 0%
#5 Winterbottom/Owen - Pepsi Max FPR FORD 9 9.89%
#6 Mostert/Morris - Pepsi Max FPR FORD 3 3.30%
#7 T.Kelly/Buncombe - Jack Daniels NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#8 Bright/Jones - BOC BJR HOLDEN 2 2.20%
#9 W.Davison/A.Davison - Beko Erebus AMG 0 0%
#14 Coulthard/Youlden - Lockwood BJR HOLDEN 1 1.10%
#15 R.Kelly/Russell - Jack Daniels NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#16 Pye/Walsh - Wilson Security DJR FORD 1 1.10%
#17 Wall/Johnson - Wilson Security DJR FORD 0 0%
#18 Perkins/Waters - JeldWen FPR FORD 0 0%
#19 TBC/TBC - Dragon GRM HOLDEN (SCRATCHED) 2 2.20%
#21 Wood/Pither - Advam BJR HOLDEN 0 0%
#22 Courtney/Murphy - SP Tools HRT HOLDEN 13 14.29%
#23 Ingall/Blanchard - OPS Gateway LDM HOLDEN 0 0%
#29 TBC/TBC - Dragon GRM HOLDEN (SCRATCHED) 1 1.10%
#33 McLaughlin/Premat - Valvoline GRM VOLVO 8 8.79%
#34 Dahlgren/Ritter - Valvoline GRM VOLVO 1 1.10%
#36 Caruso/Fiore - Norton NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#47 Slade/D'Alberto - SuperCheap WP HOLDEN 1 1.10%
#55 Reynolds/Canto - Bottle O FPR FORD 1 1.10%
#97 Van Gisbergen/Webb - VIP Tekno HOLDEN 11 12.09%
#111 Heimgartner/Pedersen - Super Black FPR FORD 1 1.10%
#222 Percat/Gavin - HHA WP HOLDEN 0 0%
#360 Moffat/Douglas - Norton NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#888 Lowndes/Richards - Red Bull 888 HOLDEN 9 9.89%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Oct 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3466293)   #701
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
for us Europeans who couldn't stay up all night, are there any links to repeats, highlights or full written reviews please?
Hi David I've tried to send you a few private messages but I think there is something wrong my end and the weren't send, anyway DVD's are done and will be in the post to your son Wednesday

Enjoy mate
regards Mike
Old 18 Oct 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3466306)   #702
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There a gallery here from Bathurst, including a few spin/crash sequences: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iwillshootu/

Last edited by mayhem; 18 Oct 2014 at 23:31. Reason: Error.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3466325)   #703
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go to Vimeo, use the search, and you might be amazed what you find
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 19 Oct 2014, 01:06 (Ref:3466328)   #704
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let me go on the record by apologising to Crompton unreservedly for my comments. Following a conversation with Neil, he explained that the decision to refer to the Bathurst 12 Hour as ‘the GT race’ in one particular instance was entirely his and his alone. Neil also pointed out that he did in fact refer to the Bathurst 12 Hour by its name several times on air throughout V8 Supercar’s coverage of the Bathurst 1000.
http://autoaction.com.au/editorial-sorry-neil/
Old 19 Oct 2014, 10:15 (Ref:3466411)   #705
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A nice day spent watching the recorded coverage of the race. Amazing to see some of the subtleties that the on-track show may have missed

What a great race!

So many incidents and accidents and strategies and pitstops... The fastest car of the day got the win, despite its challenges earlier in the day..

Last to first... Wow!

Does this event also suggest that the outright pace of the codriver ismt as important as their ability to circulate & stay out of trouble...

Unbelievable
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 19 Oct 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3466417)   #706
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was listening to Matt Worland & Andrew Clarke on The RevUp podcast and they were giving out about the commentary, but hadn't watched it yet...
Old 19 Oct 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3466598)   #707
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume the answer is no, but is there a publicly accessible "live" program like Pitsmart that can be used/viewed online by Joe Public to read what strategies different teams are on, and where it will all come out in the wash?
Old 20 Oct 2014, 03:03 (Ref:3466633)   #708
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Was for the move then, for it now. No change

More cars in contention is great. Not watching a gun driver sitting on the bench in dying minutes is great.

Not watching a car with two gun drivers competing against a car , who for sponsorship reason cant combine or because of single car team cant have two gun drivers, has meant a better competition

some statistical info. average cars on lead lap 2005-2009 12.
average cars on lead lap 2010-2014 - 18

anecdotally, don't hear people complaining about it any more.

I reckon the bigger issue is E85. hasn't taken off like it was hoped. Has lead to more pit stops and slower lap times (taking aside this years re-surface)
chuck regular race gas back in them and get the flames spitting again.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 05:32 (Ref:3466658)   #709
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
chuck regular race gas back in them and get the flames spitting again.
I miss the old fuel smell...

Always takes me back to being a kid at Warwick Farm in the 1970s.

This new fangled sugar brew just doesn't hit the nostrils like the old racing fuels...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 20 Oct 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3466665)   #710
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
I miss the old fuel smell...

Always takes me back to being a kid at Warwick Farm in the 1970s.

This new fangled sugar brew just doesn't hit the nostrils like the old racing fuels...
They could do what I did to my Dad's Victa back in the 60's - a well drilled out muffler insert and a dash of Castrol R made it the loudest and best smelling mower in town.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3466727)   #711
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
They could do what I did to my Dad's Victa back in the 60's - a well drilled out muffler insert and a dash of Castrol R made it the loudest and best smelling mower in town.
I put Castrol R in everything, lawnmower, chainsaw and whipper snipper I use to even stick a cup full in my old Harley shovel so people following could get the sweet smell

Mike
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:02 (Ref:3467251)   #712
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
One of the surprises if the weekemd for me was just how many cars seemed to have issues with starter motors. The #36, #33 and ultimately #97 all had issues on race day, with a couple of other teams on the radio to their pilots telling them not to stall because the starter motor wouldnt handle the restart..

Mr Larkham jammed his cam-on-a-stick under the Volvo to take a peek at its starter, which looked kinda small, and quite exposed to the elements

The odd part is the failures seemed to happen across brands too.

Pushing gear too far past its life, or does Mr Skaife need to make this piece another control spec item?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:12 (Ref:3467254)   #713
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what eliminated the bottle-o car? seemed all fine and then it wasnt?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3467256)   #714
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
One of the surprises if the weekemd for me was just how many cars seemed to have issues with starter motors. The #36, #33 and ultimately #97 all had issues on race day, with a couple of other teams on the radio to their pilots telling them not to stall because the starter motor wouldnt handle the restart..

Mr Larkham jammed his cam-on-a-stick under the Volvo to take a peek at its starter, which looked kinda small, and quite exposed to the elements

The odd part is the failures seemed to happen across brands too.

Pushing gear too far past its life, or does Mr Skaife need to make this piece another control spec item?
There was a time when tracks like the Hamilton street circuit, would see them being torn off and flying down the track.

They're in quite a vulnerable spot, hanging quite low.

Makes me wonder if the you-beaut Albins transaxle has a provision in the back of it for a remote starter, a al an open-wheeler?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3467257)   #715
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
what eliminated the bottle-o car? seemed all fine and then it wasnt?
Flat battery from a failed alternator..........they were on target with the best strategy too, so the commentary team said.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3467260)   #716
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Flat battery from a failed alternator..........they were on target with the best strategy too, so the commentary team said.
cheers, Im assuming alternator is another part like the starter motor built to save weight

I thought they appeared to be on a good strategy and pretty quick also. The cars that started either side of them were first and second with a lap to go
Old 22 Oct 2014, 02:35 (Ref:3467265)   #717
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
There was a time when tracks like the Hamilton street circuit, would see them being torn off and flying down the track.

They're in quite a vulnerable spot, hanging quite low.

Makes me wonder if the you-beaut Albins transaxle has a provision in the back of it for a remote starter, a al an open-wheeler?
It is an interesting idea.. wonder if the torque tube could handle power going from the back to the front rather than the other way round?

888 never seems to have issues with this stuff..
Old 22 Oct 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3467270)   #718
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It is an interesting idea.. wonder if the torque tube could handle power going from the back to the front rather than the other way round?

888 never seems to have issues with this stuff..
I'm not familiar with the supercar set-up but I would have thought that it would still require a small diameter on the starter motor to a large diameter on the fly-wheel to get enough power to turn the motor over.........how could they fit that at the back?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3467273)   #719
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
cheers, Im assuming alternator is another part like the starter motor built to save weight

I thought they appeared to be on a good strategy and pretty quick also. The cars that started either side of them were first and second with a lap to go
I will add that the team were aware of the alternator issue for quite some time. It wasn't a surprise when the car failed..... I was not pleased, they were looking real good. Again.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 05:53 (Ref:3467287)   #720
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange all the starter failures and fear of failures.... Got me thinking about a time when IIRC Skaife used his starter motor to get himself to pit exit (wasn't Bathurst, not sure where or when?) where the team could push him back to his pit bay for repairs.

Different starter type/mounting with the transaxle setup?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 06:49 (Ref:3467297)   #721
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The location of the starter is pretty much the same as before; off the back of the motor, down road-scrapingly low, and right next to the scorching hot exhaust.

There's really nowhere else to put it, that can be easily accessed.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3467325)   #722
The Pressure !!
Racer

Australia
Sydney
The Pressure !! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where I could watch or download the last 10 laps??

Was on holidays during the time of the race and due to how late it finished foxtel didn't get the final 10 laps.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3467336)   #723
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pressure !! View Post
Anyone know where I could watch or download the last 10 laps??

Was on holidays during the time of the race and due to how late it finished foxtel didn't get the final 10 laps.
last two laps are here

final two laps
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3467342)   #724
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
last two laps are here

final two laps
If that doesn't open try this:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/c...ose-final-laps
Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3467348)   #725
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The location of the starter is pretty much the same as before; off the back of the motor, down road-scrapingly low, and right next to the scorching hot exhaust.

There's really nowhere else to put it, that can be easily accessed.
Locating the engines as far back as they are cant be helping either

Time for air starters?