Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3581083)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LED Info system

Seeing the LED Information system being trialled in the Dunlop series was a good idea. However, the rear quarter window is not the best place to have it, IMO. It's too small. (Especially the Nissan's is tiny) So could we see where the LED Info system where the car number is these days and the number back on the door?
Old 11 Oct 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3581850)   #2
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm glad you raised this, I thought it was brilliant, especially during qualifying. A bit of tinkering, like as you said, placement, and it surely will be in the main game.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 07:02 (Ref:3582055)   #3
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I thought it was a great addition too.
Made me wonder why no-one has considered something similar before
Old 12 Oct 2015, 07:52 (Ref:3582070)   #4
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbers won't be back on the doors anytime soon

I'm surpised the sponsors even allow them back on the retro liveries (HRT didn't in 2010 for example)
Old 12 Oct 2015, 09:27 (Ref:3582095)   #5
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea, but why flash up the pit stop time on the tiny display? Then it goes back to there position in the session.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3582241)   #6
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Yep I thought it was a great addition too.
Made me wonder why no-one has considered something similar before
IndyCar tested them a few times this year, but I'm not sure whether they've been or will be introduced full time. Other than that, I don't know of any series where a similar system is used. It's a good addition for fans at the track, especially during longer races and drivers on different pit strategies it can be quite hard to follow who's in which position.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3582268)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
IndyCar tested them a few times this year, but I'm not sure whether they've been or will be introduced full time. Other than that, I don't know of any series where a similar system is used. It's a good addition for fans at the track, especially during longer races and drivers on different pit strategies it can be quite hard to follow who's in which position.
Dutch supercar has LED displays on the side of the cars showing their position in class, they've had it for a couple of years - it works very well and helps make the multi class races a lot easier to follow (especially if you've wandered into an area of the circuit with no PA system). I'm surprised more 'top level' multi class championships haven't got a similar system in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9442.JPG  
Old 13 Oct 2015, 03:15 (Ref:3582377)   #8
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA WEC and ELMS have a somewhat similar system where a lightbar with three lights is on each side of the car . When the car is in first, one light, second two lights, third three lights.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3582482)   #9
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blancpain Endurance Series has LED panels in the upper corner of the windscreen showing the position in class. I think it's the best system.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3582487)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last year's Silverstone 24hr race used them. For flagging they were very helpful and some spectators I know liked them too.

The only problem was that they were coloured according to class and no-one seemed able to read the blue ones, especially at night. Other than that I thought they were a very positive thing. I guess positioning comes down to where they are least likely to suffer damage or become a problem if dislodged.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3582566)   #11
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best ones i've seen are the ones USCC use. Although their rules allow for teams to put them anywhere on the side of the car (some have them in the 1/4 window, others have them in the door, others have them behind the front door).

I'm not sure V8s should worry about it in this dying format. Wait til they go full GT3 and then introduce them like other sportscar series have
Old 14 Oct 2015, 03:55 (Ref:3582661)   #12
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't everyone have access to a smart phone and live timing nowadays?
Old 14 Oct 2015, 04:15 (Ref:3582664)   #13
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Doesn't everyone have access to a smart phone and live timing nowadays?
Lol. This is australia, where 10% of the population have decent internet, 10% of the time. Good luck everybody else!
Old 15 Oct 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3583166)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And not if you're marshalling...