Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jan 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3880028)   #3276
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Thruxton got the extra round for this year because it is a BARC owned circuit and usually pulls in a decent crowd.

They could hardly go back to Brands for a 3rd meeting.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3880042)   #3277
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I think Thruxton got the extra round for this year because it is a BARC owned circuit and usually pulls in a decent crowd.

who or what are your replying to? or did that thought just come out of nowhere
Old 27 Jan 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3880047)   #3278
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Thruxton is my most local track so im pleased, but its also a very awkward track, you can only view around 1/3 of the track, facilities are not the best, its not the easiest place to get in and out of, not everything on the TOCA package can run there and it doesnt really support the ethos of the hard/soft tyre choice within BTCC.

I would rather they had a different configuration of Snetterton or Silverstone
Old 27 Jan 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3880050)   #3279
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Alonso in a Honda? I assume you are being ironic!
Absolutely. Our Japanese friends probably wouldn't let the Spanish prima dona buy a car in a showroom, never mind race one!
Old 27 Jan 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3880052)   #3280
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton might not be a top facility but it's one of the best circuits in the world, imo.

Another round at Donington would have been a good choice too.
Old 27 Jan 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3880057)   #3281
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

They couldn’t have gone back to Brands because they use both layouts but there’s other circuits with alternatives which they could have utilised rather than 6 races on the same one.

Oulton, Silverstone, Snetterton, Donington, Knockhill reverse (although that would have been a disaster) all better options in my book, Silverstone would be the best option because it would be a completely different layout rather than just a bit added/removed.

I’m not a fan of Thruxton anyway, yes it’s the fastest circuit on the calendar but it rarely yields racing of any interest, it’s only good when someone has an accident on the quick bits!
Old 27 Jan 2019, 23:06 (Ref:3880070)   #3282
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, going to one of those circuit mentioned with a different layout would have been better. Donington would have been my choice. Or Silverstone. If it’s good enough for Brands it’s good enough for the others
Old 27 Jan 2019, 23:07 (Ref:3880071)   #3283
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton is awful. Terrible choice for a second meeting. The racing is the worst there. I’d rather see a second visit to Knockhill or Croft, as they are proper technical circuits, which promote great Touring Car Racing. Plus an extra Northern round I’m sure would be welcomed as the majority of meetings are concentrated from the South Midlands and below.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 03:33 (Ref:3880094)   #3284
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Thruxton is awful. Terrible choice for a second meeting. The racing is the worst there. I’d rather see a second visit to Knockhill or Croft, as they are proper technical circuits, which promote great Touring Car Racing. Plus an extra Northern round I’m sure would be welcomed as the majority of meetings are concentrated from the South Midlands and below.
Except Thruxton - BARC - run the BTCC don’t they , so I guess it was easy for them to find a date to replace Rockkngham
Old 28 Jan 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3880099)   #3285
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Thruxton is my most local track so im pleased, but its also a very awkward track, you can only view around 1/3 of the track, facilities are not the best, its not the easiest place to get in and out of, not everything on the TOCA package can run there and it doesnt really support the ethos of the hard/soft tyre choice within BTCC.

I would rather they had a different configuration of Snetterton or Silverstone
Went to the BTCC round at Thruxton for the first time in over 20 years last season.
Enjoyed it there - a big crowd, (probably helped by a baking hot weekend), good atmosphere and you can get pretty close to the cars.

Yeah, facilities aren;t the best but that's part of the charm - it doesn;t feel corporate. It is a bit if a bugger to get out of though!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 05:53 (Ref:3880100)   #3286
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Racing was pretty good at Thruxton last season - much better than Oulton anyway. And some of the support package racing was superb.

Mind you, like others I would like to see a meeting on a track with a different configuration - eg: Donington, Silverstone or my local track Snetterton.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3880108)   #3287
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello Park!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3880114)   #3288
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Mondello Park!
Yes please!!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3880116)   #3289
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Mondello Park!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Yes please!!
Guys - I think it's too late to get Gow to change the 2019 venues.

Possibly something more suited for a 2020 discussion, news and rumours thread? Or maybe the 'BTCC dreams and hopeful wishes' thread?!!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3880120)   #3290
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton is just the choice for this year, probably the only track likely to have availability at short notice. As for Brands Hatch having a 3rd round, fairly sure they did at one point get to hold 3 meetings.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3880121)   #3291
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
Racing was pretty good at Thruxton last season - much better than Oulton anyway. And some of the support package racing was superb.

Mind you, like others I would like to see a meeting on a track with a different configuration - eg: Donington, Silverstone or my local track Snetterton.
I thought Oulton Park was better last season than it has been. The other configuration would be better though, as it always used to be.

Oulton Park is most drivers' favourite track as it's so technical, but for reasons different to Thruxton, it doesn't make such a great spectacle. Great circuit to go and watch the racing live (where you're always going to be limited to what you see, but it's all about the atmosphere and the sights and the smells etc), not so great as another round on the TV.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3880123)   #3292
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I guess it's a measure of the way the cars are built these days. Back in the day when there were various classes, I used to watch the big Chevies and later the Capris bottoming out as they went across the bump through Allard. You could really see who was brave.

As the cars have advanced the circuits just don't do what they did and flat through Church is a lot easier now than it was previously.

For atmosphere I'd say Oulton Park is up there with Brands Hatch but you can't beat the clubby feel you get at Thruxton.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3880125)   #3293
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Thruxton is just the choice for this year, probably the only track likely to have availability at short notice. As for Brands Hatch having a 3rd round, fairly sure they did at one point get to hold 3 meetings.
1995 season (with a 13 event calendar that included the Grand Prix) had 3 visits to Brands and Silverstone, 2 to Oulton and Donington and 1 each to Thruxton, Knockhill and Snetterton.

And after losing the Grand Prix meeting they defaulted to a second Thruxton meeting, rather like nowadays.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3880130)   #3294
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well they did have a second Thruxton meeting in 96, the last time the GP meeting was part of it, although they did drop the third meeting at Silverstone for it. And Croft briefly replaced Brands GP
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:52 (Ref:3880211)   #3295
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well they did have a second Thruxton meeting in 96, the last time the GP meeting was part of it, although they did drop the third meeting at Silverstone for it. And Croft briefly replaced Brands GP
In 1998 quite a few circuits had two meetings. Only Snetterton and Knockhill only had a single round from what I can remember.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3880402)   #3296
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toca really need to do something to spice up the silly season, this is far too quiet.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3880421)   #3297
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Toca really need to do something to spice up the silly season, this is far too quiet.
I would like to announce I may be driving in 2019, with a team that hasn't been announced yet, in a car that hasn't been built yet but will no doubt be a car manufacturer.

All this will be confirmed when the unicorn arrives with the pot of gold found at the end of the rainbow.

In other news JP hasn't announced anything.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3880427)   #3298
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we were spoiled last year by the Jackson-Motorbase-Dynamics issue really weren't we.
This seasons biggest talking point has been Subaru's dwindling UK sales and that none of us are really inspired by Thruxton getting a second visit.

No wonder they have done away with a full on media day this year.

7 seats left I think and I reakon most of us can predict those within a driver or 2
Old 29 Jan 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3880429)   #3299
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
All this will be confirmed when the unicorn arrives with the pot of gold found at the end of the rainbow.

In other news JP hasn't announced anything.
Is this the same Unicorn JP is waiting for?

https://twitter.com/jasonplato/statu...13370295590913
Old 29 Jan 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3880431)   #3300
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is this the same Unicorn JP is waiting for?

https://twitter.com/jasonplato/statu...13370295590913