Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2002, 01:07 (Ref:395358)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best top ten

As a spin off from the Tool Man's thread, what do you think has been the best moment in Bathurst Shootout history? There was recently a list in Motor Racing Australia (reprinted in the Bathurst program), but what do you think?

83 and Dick into the trees?
81 and KB in the Camaro?
Larko on pole?
6 cars off at the chase a couple of years ago?
Brocky into the wall?

My fave was the ST 98 1000. Rickard Rydell's lap was perfect, an incredible lap. But the best bit was the bloke who came tenth. Because the STs had terrible steering lock, they'd do another lap after the finish because they couldn't turn around at Hell Corner. I was the only person standing on the hill exitng the cutting (very sad). Peter Hills came up, and as you do, I gave him a wave. The best bit was, he waved back, his arms, legs and head- you could hear him screaming above the sound of the engine! That was one pumped up driver, and he wound up finishing last!
Old 4 Oct 2002, 01:30 (Ref:395377)   #2
Seton_5
Racer

Seton_5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love 2000. At the chase and the Mud!! I think Loughurst, Tander, Ingall,Kelly all went throught.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 01:36 (Ref:395382)   #3
Gav56
Racer

Gav56 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not quite the top ten..but Bargs into the wall in warm up in the HYL car
Old 4 Oct 2002, 02:00 (Ref:395390)   #4
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought that Dick's lap in the Sierra in 1992 that won him pole was probably one of the most awesome laps in one of the more difficult cars to drive at a time when nobody expected him to be able to pull out a lap like that.

From the same year I guess Larry's lap in the old VL Walkingstick which got him onto the front row, and possibly Longhursts lap from the same year in the Bimmer during qualifyling with a good tow up Mountain Straight from the aformentioned VL.

It's probably not cool to mention here, but I also thought that Skaife's pole winning effort for Brockies last race was a popular effort, for the Brock fans at least
Old 4 Oct 2002, 02:01 (Ref:395391)   #5
White Knight

In 1984 it snowed Saturday morning and I stood and shivered between Reid and McPhillamy when George Fury put the Nissan Turbo on pole. He was about a poofeenth off hanging on the fence through there.

Brock's silky smooth effort for pole in the Sierra was equally as good as Rydell's 'cept Volvo didn't have the fire retardent going off under the bonnet.

Old 4 Oct 2002, 05:43 (Ref:395455)   #6
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1981 was sensational. I still have it on tape. KB in the Camaro in the rain was just amazing, over two seconds faster than DJ in the Falcon. Awesome displays of car control in atrocious conditions. Garth Wigston's two spins at Murrays on each of his runs was another highlight. LP chucking the Janson Commodore around coming down the mountain was spectacular also.

CD.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 4 Oct 2002, 05:47 (Ref:395457)   #7
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Dazz, DJ's lap in '92 is my personal favourite, but there have been other laps at Bathurst that I'll always remember:

1987: Klaus Ludwig took pole with a 2:16, faster than the '86 pole time, and Gary Scott didn't have the Chase to negotiate the year before.

Gricey's effort in the car that was rebuilt overnight after Win Percy put it into the wall at McPhillamy mid-Friday. The car was all over the place, but he was only two seconds slower than his qualifying time...

Although not in Hardie's Heroes, I won't forget Mercedes Stermitz qualifying lap. She had pranged the car at Forrest's Elbow on the Thursday, and while the car was repaired for the final two sessions on Friday, it still wasn't quite right. Compounding the situation, Stermitz still wasn't qualified for the race, her time outside the cutoff, and she had injured a foot in the accident, causing her great pain every time she had to brake for a corner. Deep into Friday's final qualifying session, Mercedes had yet to qualify, and things didn't look good; her times were still around three seconds outside the time required. She had one last run at it, right at the end of the session. She summoned up all her courage and put in a time that was more than good enough to get her into the field and, was right on her co-driver's time. Like I said, not a lap from a shootout, but a lap that required as much courage and bravery as any shootout lap.

1981: Along with Bartlett's effort, Garth Wigston's runs shouldn't be forgotten. He was very quick on both of his Hardie's Heroes runs, only to spin at Murrays Corner. On both laps.

1983?: Was it in 1983 that a Nissan came close to the pole? I think it was the imported gun Hasemi in the Bluebird for Hardie's Heroes. He was looking good for pole, only for hopes to be dashed when the turbo blew on his second run.

1988 & 1990: Klaus Niedzwiedz top-10 runs. He might've been one of Europe's finest, but he was unaccustomed to one-lap qualifying runs. Still, he proved to be the fastest in 1988 and 1990; his 1990 lap less than a tenth off the lap record.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 06:33 (Ref:395471)   #8
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larko on Pole would have to be my favorite, because Im a HUGE Larkham Fan , But Dick into the Trees in 1983 sticks in my mind. Everytime I Hear the words "Shootout" or "Runoff" that scene from 1983 jumps into mind.
The Funny thing is, I live in a Timber Industry area and a few years ago there was a Privately owned company up here workig for a few months - the name on the side of the truck to my amusement was - "Dick Johnson Logging Pty Ltd".
A Different DJ of course, but every time the truck went passed I'd have a good laugh
Old 4 Oct 2002, 06:38 (Ref:395473)   #9
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gav56
Not quite the top ten..but Bargs into the wall in warm up in the HYL car
Yes 1997 if I remember correctly. I didn't know that much about Bargs at that time and didnt really follow his career. BUT that was the day I had admiration for him, he could of got outof the car and blamed the Machinery, or said he was avoiding a Kangaroo, perhaps even blamed some other innocent driver (Not that any one does that ) , BUT NO Jason Bargwanna did what a lot more should, he said "I made a mistake IT WAS MY FAULT."
From that moment on I became a FAN of the Little Fella.
Ive since met and spoken with him at Race tracks and he would have to be one of the nicest blokes in V8 Supercars.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 10:51 (Ref:395594)   #10
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the year that that idiot Crompton lost it on his own diff oil that he dropped on his warm up lap and then blamed the HQ's for dropping the oil! (even though other cars had run before him with no problems)
Old 4 Oct 2002, 11:21 (Ref:395625)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
William Dale Jnr - close, 1982.

Tom Walkinshaw's lap in the Jaguar XJS in 1985 was a fantastic lap, 2 wheels through Mcphillamy Park, the sound of the V12 on conrod, hardly lifting over the old 2nd hump on (the proper) conrod straight.

Ludwig's lap in '87 was almost perfect (apart from a slight wiggle out of the dipper) and as William Dale Jnr said, faster than Gary Scott's '86 pole time even with Caltex Chase, also Gricey's effort in '87 HH, the way that thing was weaving down conrod.........

I thought Ambrose's lap was impressive. (remember if we'd kept the top 10 he wouldn't have even been there)

From what i have read Brock's lap was perfect in 1978, the first running of Hardies Heroes, as good as Senna's pole lap at Adelaide in 1985.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 11:28 (Ref:395633)   #12
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I remember that, Morris. That was in 1993; I would've loved to have been in the GIO garages when Crompton was told that it was he who was dropping the oil. Talk about Kodak moments...
Old 5 Oct 2002, 12:35 (Ref:396311)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rydells lap was great, I still have the tape with that lap, and the whole rest of the race, and just for 2min 14.9714 secs it takes me back to that great day and those great times. Commitment to the end, what a guy and what a car.