Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Mar 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3966940)   #5376
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Wonder what the next specification of cars would be called?
EV21TC
Old 26 Mar 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3966952)   #5377
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not sure the teams would all be around frankly. But ok if you think it's cheap to run these cars then fine.
I dont for one moment think the current cars are cheap but if they exist they are certainly cheaper than the new build you are suggesting ....
Old 26 Mar 2020, 13:06 (Ref:3966954)   #5378
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If they keep the current cars for a bit longer, would it be any different from what F1 is doing with keeping the current cars for 2021?
Old 26 Mar 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3966958)   #5379
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I dont for one moment think the current cars are cheap but if they exist they are certainly cheaper than the new build you are suggesting ....
Ok, but then you need a massive team to run them. I was postulating that the losses from this year present a massive change and as such the current organisations will be culled. If so, who will be around to run the things?

Under these circumstances I'd expect a less technically challenging set of regs.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3966961)   #5380
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ok, but then you need a massive team to run them. I was postulating that the losses from this year present a massive change and as such the current organisations will be culled. If so, who will be around to run the things?

Under these circumstances I'd expect a less technically challenging set of regs.
Why would you need a massive team to run them, the hybrid system that they are planning on using isn’t that complicated, the teams won’t have to employ extra people to run them
Old 26 Mar 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3966974)   #5381
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed knowing TOCA they would have made sure it was a cheap option for all
Old 26 Mar 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3966979)   #5382
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Why would you need a massive team to run them, the hybrid system that they are planning on using isn’t that complicated, the teams won’t have to employ extra people to run them
It's more a case of the teams are massive now. If you're slimming back on budget you'd want to be able to run the car from the back of a transit with a couple of mechanics per car.

If you move to simpler regs then the cars may be new build (incurring a cost) but that could potentially be done for less than continuing to run the current cars for another year - purely by reducing the number of people required to run them.

To illustrate using simple numbers (made up):

NGTC:
Car cost to build: £250K
Car cost to run for season: £100K
10 mechanics @ £10K (so £100K)

So assuming you're going to use a car you've already got your yearly cost is £200K

Cheapo TC:
Car cost to build: £100K
Car cost to run for season: £30K
2 mechanics @ £10K (so £20K)

So total cost including building the new spec car is £150K so cheaper than carrying on running the existing cars.

Obviously that's a huge oversimplification but it illustrates the point - building new doesn't necessarily mean increased cost to the teams (providing running costs - including manpower) are significantly reduced.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3966981)   #5383
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's more a case of the teams are massive now. If you're slimming back on budget you'd want to be able to run the car from the back of a transit with a couple of mechanics per car.

If you move to simpler regs then the cars may be new build (incurring a cost) but that could potentially be done for less than continuing to run the current cars for another year - purely by reducing the number of people required to run them.

To illustrate using simple numbers (made up):

NGTC:
Car cost to build: £250K
Car cost to run for season: £100K
10 mechanics @ £10K (so £100K)

So assuming you're going to use a car you've already got your yearly cost is £200K

Cheapo TC:
Car cost to build: £100K
Car cost to run for season: £30K
2 mechanics @ £10K (so £20K)

So total cost including building the new spec car is £150K so cheaper than carrying on running the existing cars.

Obviously that's a huge oversimplification but it illustrates the point - building new doesn't necessarily mean increased cost to the teams (providing running costs - including manpower) are significantly reduced.
I totally understand the point here - and I agree in principle that cheaper racing is possible.

But there are still likely to be teams on the grid who will have higher budgets. Will they still want to run in what might be seen as a 'budget' series?

It is also worth considering that a lot of teams on the grid are able to run because they have not got new builds.
HARD, Parker, TPC, MB, are all running someone else's new build. If we move to a new rule-set entirely, could these teams fund new builds?
Old 26 Mar 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3966996)   #5384
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But there are still likely to be teams on the grid who will have higher budgets. Will they still want to run in what might be seen as a 'budget' series?
It may be a 'budget' series but it would still be the BTCC so would still have that appeal. As with now teams spend what they have - WSR and Dynamics spend far more than HARD per car at a meeting, the same would presumably continue if they were running cheaper cars - budgets would reduce but budget disparity would remain (as it does at every level of competitive motorsport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It is also worth considering that a lot of teams on the grid are able to run because they have not got new builds.
HARD, Parker, TPC, MB, are all running someone else's new build. If we move to a new rule-set entirely, could these teams fund new builds?
Depending on how basic the rules are potentially all teams could buidl their own cars.

This is all very much "what if" territory at the moment of course - the official line is still that the 2020 season will happen.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3967023)   #5385
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think TCR would have been a cheaper alternative. Much cheaper cars to buy or build, but the running costs may be higher.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3967025)   #5386
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think TCR would have been a cheaper alternative. Much cheaper cars to buy or build, but the running costs may be higher.
I understand there are safety issues with these cars in that they are a bit more fragile than BTCC cars. I stand to be corrected.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 21:54 (Ref:3967080)   #5387
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So to try and to keep people’s spirits up, what has everyone been looking forward most to this season?

For me I have been looking forward to seeing Mat Jackson back most of all and also been looking forward to seeing other teams with different drivers from last season, like Sonic and Cook at BTC or Hill at MB Motorsport or Bobby Thompson and James Gornall at TPR. Not forgetting the new Hyundai too

And also seeing how Oliphant does in his second season with WSR and whether Cammish could go one better
My spirits are fairly high. Family is healthy, demand on the farm from our customers is huge and what's left of my farm in Zim is picking up as well. So very lucky given what's happening to many people at the moment

Btcc, can't wait to see Hill in the FK2 and also how Crees gets on at BTC. If he does hit it off they look to have a really strong team. Also Jackson back in the series
Old 26 Mar 2020, 23:48 (Ref:3967091)   #5388
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I understand there are safety issues with these cars in that they are a bit more fragile than BTCC cars. I stand to be corrected.
First time ive heard that about TCR... However the NGTC cars arent without their issues. The frequency of the rear suspension getting broken after a mild knock certainly is a weak point of the design.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:32 (Ref:3967128)   #5389
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
First time ive heard that about TCR... However the NGTC cars arent without their issues. The frequency of the rear suspension getting broken after a mild knock certainly is a weak point of the design.
As has been repeatedly explained, it isn't a weak point of the design.

Suspension parts are cheap and easy to replace. Making them break on lateral impact is far preferable to having that energy dissipating through the car, potentially damaging the cage or other parts that would be timeconsuming and expensive to repair.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:15 (Ref:3967142)   #5390
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Safety issues? Really??? So a fully FIA homologated set of regs/cars have safety issues - if that was the case then FIA would have to ground every single TCR car being used until a fix for the 'safety issue' was resolved.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3967153)   #5391
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I said I stand to be corrected but I was told by one of the drivers. Hey ho.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3967159)   #5392
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

Suspension parts are cheap and easy to replace. Making them break on lateral impact is far preferable to having that energy dissipating through the car, potentially damaging the cage or other parts that would be timeconsuming and expensive to repair.
I totally understand the reasoning, however when it results in a DNF every time it happens, what is the cost of a potential "race win" or even a championship? Quite a few drivers have had this happen, most notably Turkington and Jordan in a BMW and Honda respectively. Both were in title winning positions, luckily for Jordan it didn't cost him the championship, but in Colin's case it did.

I heard someone say that the RML part for this is lighter and the GPRM part was tougher? Any truth?
Old 27 Mar 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3967176)   #5393
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is that just a driver moaning about the amount of bits which fall off during a shunt? TCR cars are based off road cars, therefore perform like a road car in a crash. You want to dissipate as much energy as possible to stop it transferring to the cabin & occupants, this means that a lot of bits 'drop off' as it is a way of removing energy from the car. NGTC on the otherhand is a 'proper' race car, built ground up as a racecar then clad with some exterior panels which make it look like a road car. Therefore bits are more likely to stay intact as they can be re-engineered to be a bit more resilient during a crash.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3967183)   #5394
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

The GPRM parts were alot more resistant to damage from a 'slight tap' at least they could carry on to finish the race. The RML stuff is tubular wishbones as opposed to GPRM machined from ally wishbones.
And the GPRM wheel nuts don't undo themselves either... 🙄
Old 27 Mar 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3967184)   #5395
AmD Tuning
Rookie

AmD Tuning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
First rule of Team Management: Never listen to the drivers!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 11:39 (Ref:3967185)   #5396
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Is that just a driver moaning about the amount of bits which fall off during a shunt?
No. It was related to how (in his opinion) fragile they are structurally.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 12:11 (Ref:3967189)   #5397
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
No. It was related to how (in his opinion) fragile they are structurally.
Probably told that by somebody trying to justify why NGTC is more expensive.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 12:28 (Ref:3967190)   #5398
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Or probably why he refused a drive.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3967257)   #5399
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ladbrokes were the Motorbase title sponsor. No sport now meant they pulled the plug on the Friday before media day.

Ive heard that from two unconnected sources now. One who runs a junior team on the support package, and another driver coach to a Porsche squad.
Old 27 Mar 2020, 19:38 (Ref:3967260)   #5400
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost every sponsor that isn't the driver or close families own company is going to be out unless they've already paid up (most are done in installments, and typically the first major one will only be around the time of the first round), and a lot of the self-sponsored drivers may reconsider their position as well.