Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Apr 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3968221)   #5526
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Agreed.

Most times a post is just a post, not a personal attack itching to be deconstructed in pursuit of internet points.
I think it's just extended silly season cabin fever due to the lack of new things to discuss.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3968236)   #5527
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I did know that BMR were running the 888 cars, and that they were 'combined' financially at the time. Thanks for going back through my posts to remind me.

It was a simple case of, at the time of running 6 cars was posted, my recollection was that they were being run separately. Is it wrong for someone to request clarification of something that didn't immediately spring to mind?

Once I was kindly reminded by S Griffin, I had thought I made it clear that I now recalled the 2017 situation, and actually posted a discussion point on this.

So why continue to attack the request for clarification I made?
So you have just now clarified that you knew exactly what the '6 cars at BMR' meant but you still had to pull apart the post anyway. You have frequented the BTCC topics enough to know that team names are just fronts for larger teams/operations which is no secret - so why get so pedantic over the simple terms that other posters use?
Old 2 Apr 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3968237)   #5528
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So is Speedworks being the "official" hybrid test team new news or old news?

Autosport has an article. I have not yet read it as my boredom level has not yet reached a point where "hybrid" is interesting enough to take note of!

(Is it just me non-plussed about hybrid stuff?)
Old 2 Apr 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3968238)   #5529
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
So you have just now clarified that you knew exactly what the '6 cars at BMR' meant but you still had to pull apart the post anyway. You have frequented the BTCC topics enough to know that team names are just fronts for larger teams/operations which is no secret - so why get so pedantic over the simple terms that other posters use?
I knew in 2017, and I know now.

When the '6' was mentioned though, I couldn't recall that knowledge at that specific point in time.

In what way is posting '6?' in request for clarification pulling apart the post?
I'm regularly having to look up who drove what, when and for who, even in relation to 2019 drives occasionally.

In this case, searches for BMR typically only ever reveal a maximum entry of 4 cars. I apologise if I lack the encyclopedic knowledge required to never have to request clarification.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3968239)   #5530
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So is Speedworks being the "official" hybrid test team new news or old news?

Autosport has an article. I have not yet read it as my boredom level has not yet reached a point where "hybrid" is interesting enough to take note of!

(Is it just me non-plussed about hybrid stuff?)
New news as of today, I got the email announcement this morning.

It's actually interesting to me how they intend to use it to replace success ballast, and it introduces another tactical element to the racing - currently their talking about 15 seconds of boost per lap, to be used as the driver sees fit (ie to attack or defend). Boost should be ~40hp.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3968240)   #5531
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Coincidence that the test car for the original NGTC regs was a Toyota, and now the hybrid test car will be a Toyota?
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3968244)   #5532
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
New news as of today, I got the email announcement this morning.

It's actually interesting to me how they intend to use it to replace success ballast, and it introduces another tactical element to the racing - currently their talking about 15 seconds of boost per lap, to be used as the driver sees fit (ie to attack or defend). Boost should be ~40hp.
Ugh. All for hybrid power, but for me this 'push to pass' is just going to run it. It's hardly a good overtake if one driver's got 40 bhp extra power.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3968245)   #5533
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It is getting very tedious how you have to respond to every post pulling every detail apart. Just chill out.
👆🏼
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3968248)   #5534
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ugh. All for hybrid power, but for me this 'push to pass' is just going to run it. It's hardly a good overtake if one driver's got 40 bhp extra power.
I remain to be convinced, but I'm prepared to be - they've all got 40hp extra to use for a limited time per lap, how they choose to use it could be interesting. There's also plenty of time between now and '22 for things to change of course.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3968250)   #5535
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...maybe, just maybe, Mr Malcolm has a memory like mine. Or has other things on his mind.

I'd forgotten the VWs were run out of the farm that year for Here One Minute Gone The Next Racing!

(Edit)

You're on about the woefully badly prepared MGs.

Was it eight cars at the farm or was it BKR one year and 888 the next?
I'm sure 888 were at the farm in 2016 along with the Subarus and the Volkswagens were in a separate shed, which seems apt..... I think 888 had vacated Greatworth by that point and Multimatic had taken over the building.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3968259)   #5536
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In Indycar when they had the push to pass boost the drivers actually called it "push not to pass" as it was used far more often to defend than attack.

They'll all have exactly the same use of it so it's down to them where they choose to deploy it.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3968261)   #5537
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I'm sure 888 were at the farm in 2016 along with the Subarus and the Volkswagens were in a separate shed, which seems apt..... I think 888 had vacated Greatworth by that point and Multimatic had taken over the building.
Question, I see in the TOCA release that the hybrid cars must be powered in the pit road by electrical power Does this mean the cars in the garage at pit entry will have to use more battery life than the car at pit exit garage to get to the exit? Will that disadvantage the entry cars in the opening laps?
Old 2 Apr 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3968268)   #5538
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Question, I see in the TOCA release that the hybrid cars must be powered in the pit road by electrical power Does this mean the cars in the garage at pit entry will have to use more battery life than the car at pit exit garage to get to the exit? Will that disadvantage the entry cars in the opening laps?
The difference in power usage between the different ends of the grid will be tiny. They will have one lap to get to the grid and one or two green flag laps before the first racing lap during which that power can be re-generated.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 17:06 (Ref:3968270)   #5539
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd expect the lap to the grid and formation lap will be enough to fully charge the system.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3968273)   #5540
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I don't think it will, provided the battery retains enough energy to supply the 15s per lap limit.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 22:49 (Ref:3968327)   #5541
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I don't think it will, provided the battery retains enough energy to supply the 15s per lap limit.
If the cars on charge between race's it leave the garage on full charge so with an out lap and a green flag lap it'll be 100%
Old 3 Apr 2020, 05:51 (Ref:3968349)   #5542
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
If the cars on charge between race's it leave the garage on full charge so with an out lap and a green flag lap it'll be 100%
Yes, agreed.

In answer to the original question posed, those nearest pit entrance will deplete their energy store more than those near pit exit.
But, provided the recovery system is working, then out lap, green flag lap and lap one (the system is not available until lap two) should see the charge fully recovered.
Old 3 Apr 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3968352)   #5543
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could just run some extension leads out to the grid
Old 3 Apr 2020, 07:48 (Ref:3968353)   #5544
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
They could just run some extension leads out to the grid
Just imagine the carnage if someone forgot to unplug!!

Old 3 Apr 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3968402)   #5545
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I am not keen on any push to pass system. I just think it will make overtaking pointless. If driver A has already used his boost for a lap, and then driver B chooses to use his, driver A cannot defend and therefore its a "motorway pass", they won't fight it. Is that what people want to see?

I don't mind hybrid tech being used as a matter of principle, however I would rather it be worked into the normal drivetrain and just boost the forward motion at certain rev ranges or speeds, so like from 80-150kph the system is active, then below that or above it the system shuts off.
Old 3 Apr 2020, 14:44 (Ref:3968421)   #5546
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, even though the 'Push to Pass' works well in IndyCar for instance, in DTM is also pretty good. But somehow I wouldn't like to see it in BTCC, we sort of got used to 'raw' overtaking in BTCC, it's not highly aero-driven series and generally lack of passing and action is not an issue so I can't see the reason to implement push to pass. I feel it could make racing worse, sort of more 'artificial.'
Old 3 Apr 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3968427)   #5547
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Artificial, that's the word. One of the reasons I ceased watching F1 is the artificial DRS stuff.

I want to watch a man (or woman) in his machine outfox another man in his machine. Otherwise it's no different to watching a Focus RS at traffic lights vs a family run around; it's obvious that the Focus will leave the other car standing - unless the driver is content to pootle around at a leisurely pace.
Old 3 Apr 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3968429)   #5548
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Artificial, that's the word.
You mean success ballast, mandatory option tyres and goldfish-bowl-of-destiny reverse grids weren't artificial enough already?
Old 3 Apr 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3968451)   #5549
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yeah, I know. I don't really like any of that crap, especially hate the having to use rubbish tyres one race per weekend nonsense - it's like Mo Farrah having to run one race in three in hobnail boots.

Push to pass is computer game nonsense and isn't racing to me. I'd rather watch NASCAR where the best car/ driver combination normally wins... normally.
Old 3 Apr 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3968456)   #5550
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can live with those success ballest, reverse grid and tyre rules, they are more of a setup. The power to pass I’m not so keen on, BTCC can race and overtake without it. However the worst was when we had the boost changes which meant drivers couldn’t get past in the straight line