Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Dec 2020, 15:49 (Ref:4025080)   #1001
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Blair starts off stupid wars and don’t get Brown to sell any gold?
Politics finished for day.
Old 24 Dec 2020, 16:38 (Ref:4025090)   #1002
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least they knew what they were doing most of the time, unlike some of our current leaders
Old 24 Dec 2020, 16:46 (Ref:4025093)   #1003
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 24 Dec 2020, 16:53 (Ref:4025095)   #1004
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Blair and Brown??!!
Old 24 Dec 2020, 17:31 (Ref:4025100)   #1005
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone seems to have started early on the Christmas tipple! (No not you, Peter or John...)
Old 25 Dec 2020, 01:44 (Ref:4025148)   #1006
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
When it comes to advice on medical matters, I'll go with the (medical) doctors - not politicians, present or has-been!

Merry Xmas
Old 25 Dec 2020, 09:28 (Ref:4025169)   #1007
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, you can’t argue with the medical experts, despite what some might think.
Old 25 Dec 2020, 10:09 (Ref:4025177)   #1008
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, you can’t argue with the medical experts, despite what some might think.

That, I'm afraid, is not true!

Immediately prior to my operation, the anaesthetist insisted that I took some medication that I had stopped taking some weeks previously. I objected, but allowed her to overrule me.

Result was that the medication slowed my heart rate down so much that, firstly, they were unable to prep me for the operation, and then they had to stabilise me during the operation. At that point, the surgeon decided that it would not be a wise move to complete the operation, and as consequence, I will require further surgery next year to finish off a task that could have have been done back in August.

The anaesthetist acknowledged after the operation that she had been wrong.
Old 25 Dec 2020, 10:38 (Ref:4025180)   #1009
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That, I'm afraid, is not true!

Immediately prior to my operation, the anaesthetist insisted that I took some medication that I had stopped taking some weeks previously. I objected, but allowed her to overrule me.

Result was that the medication slowed my heart rate down so much that, firstly, they were unable to prep me for the operation, and then they had to stabilise me during the operation. At that point, the surgeon decided that it would not be a wise move to complete the operation, and as consequence, I will require further surgery next year to finish off a task that could have have been done back in August.

The anaesthetist acknowledged after the operation that she had been wrong.
It's always the anaesthetist - beware of them! My late wife twice had problems caused by them! The second time, the needle had been wrongly placed in her spine; she sat up when she came round & promptly went blind. The anaesthetist was immediately summonsed but it was Friday afternoon & he was about to go home, said he'd deal with it on Monday!!¬

"Oh no won't" said a very stern ward sister & she made him deal with it then & there.
Old 25 Dec 2020, 15:27 (Ref:4025205)   #1010
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It's always the anaesthetist - beware of them!
Sure you're right! Last summer, for my birthday, I had to use one. When he told me prior to the injection "think about something nice" I told him laughing "Oh yes, are you aware that the surgeon has sex with your wife?" In good French, vous êtes cocu!
Old 11 Jan 2021, 22:49 (Ref:4028253)   #1011
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Unsurprisingly, CSCC's planned pre-season trackday at Donington on February 16th has been cancelled.......given that the current "stay at home" lockdown is only due to be reviewed the day before, the likellihood and indeed wisdom of people converging from all over the country has been looking unlikely for a while.....

I'm a bit sceptical about whether the season opener at end of March will happen, either.....but I haven't cancelled my Premier Inn booking for the Oulton round on April 10th, yet
Old 20 Jan 2021, 21:50 (Ref:4030344)   #1012
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly feeling optimistic today and entered the Spa 3 hours in June
Fingers firmly crossed
Old 21 Jan 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4030392)   #1013
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've not bothered renewing my license or booking a medical yet, far too many uncontrollable factors in the way. I can't see anyone going to Europe to Race at least until we're vaccinated. That won't happen for many of us until high summer at the earliest. We're holding back on booking ferries in June just to go on a scooter rally in Brittany at the moment . .
Old 21 Jan 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4030394)   #1014
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Et d'abord par chez nous, on dit "Bretagne", Monsieur Joe! Will you play guitar too? In French, "jouer de la gratte"?
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4030409)   #1015
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ne joue pas de basse, just good music, friends, food and drink and travel by Lambretta

The 'mess my mind' festival will happen again, but I don't know when, maybe 2022 ?
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4030411)   #1016
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I still have a Chunnel ticket for car and trailer which is currently dated for the same weekend as the MM at Goodwood. I may change that to later in the year. I've also got my reservation for Le Mans in June which was held over from last year.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 12:27 (Ref:4030431)   #1017
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
The Times today is warning that any travel into the EU is likely to be virtually banned until infection rates in UK (especially that called the British strain - so named because our genomics testing is the one that was early to identify it ) are markedly lower.........

The trip to join my Dutch Imp enthusiast friends in May, deferred from last year, has already been cancelled, so I now have to see if I can rebook my Stena tickets again, although if we are banned from travelling I guess they'll have to allow it Maybe the Alfa club (SCARB) will be able to run Spettacolo Sportivo at Zandvoort in September, again - I'd be up for revisiting that
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:06 (Ref:4030490)   #1018
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Normally about now I'd be planning my marshalling season. Even before I start looking at it some meetings have changed or been cancelled, so I can't see the point. Add to that uncertainty as to whether I can take a caravan meaning two day meetings at many venues are possibly unrealistic, I shall wait until:

a) I think I'm prepared to go to a meeting anywhere and
b) I'm reasonably sure what meetings will go on.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:18 (Ref:4030495)   #1019
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There are all sorts of rumours flying about concerning the major races.
If these are put back to third quarter it’s pretty certain the large historics will go back or not happen
Pragmatic view
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4030505)   #1020
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With Glastonbury cancelled already, it's hard to see how any of our mass racing events can plan with any certainty.

Last year nothing re-started until the end of May, why should 2021 be any different?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:57 (Ref:4030509)   #1021
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entries opened today for the CSCC opener at Snetterton on 27/28 March. Better to enter and cancel than not open entries yet and then have to open entries in a rush if things become clearer I suppose.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 19:19 (Ref:4030513)   #1022
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
News came today of Flanders Collection Car Show in Ghent, albeit to take place in April rather than it's regular February date. They seem very confident it will happen.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 08:14 (Ref:4030570)   #1023
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I've not bothered renewing my license . .
I suspect that was the reasoning behind the 25% January licence discount, to try and generate some cash flow. My speed licence worked out quite cheap so I took advantage.

Of course the logistics of running my road car in a sprint or hillclimb are much easier than keeping a race car and equipment in a state of readiness so I'm confident I'll use it.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jan 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4030715)   #1024
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if I am alone in hoping that, when we finally get back to racing, lessons will have been learned from our experience of dealing with Covid 19.
I hope the online signing on will be retained. I was no fun queuing outside
a scrutineering bay office for 20 minutes in the pouring rain to be told. "You are 7 minutes too early, you will have to come back".
The scrutineering by self certification seemed to work well. It was certainly preferable to spending an afternoon in a forty car queue in order for the same blokes to test the same cut-off switch on the same car for the fifth time in eight weeks. The scrutineering teams should then have the time to have a closer more thorough look at a small percentage of entrants. This would enable most cars to be inspected thoroughly over the period of a season. It would also give them the opportunity to devote more time to look for those tempted to cheat.
We entrants will have to accept more responsibility both in making sure we and also our fellow competitors are playing the game . At Silverstone last year in the race for cars shod with Dunlop crossply tyres ( Run under the self declaration system for scrutineering) I pointed out to more than one of my fellow competitors that the Avon Radials and other ineligible tyres they were using were out of order. Although, always the gentleman, I did say I would only "grass" on them if they finished ahead of me.
Am I alone in hoping we don`t revert to the same old procedures.

Last edited by Robert Farrell; 22 Jan 2021 at 16:46. Reason: Hilliteracy!!
Old 22 Jan 2021, 17:53 (Ref:4030728)   #1025
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen an email from the MCUI the Northern Ireland version of the ACU, advising that there will be no bike racing in the Province until at least June.
Cars to follow? then the mainland...................