Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 May 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4052177)   #1301
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Viv, I think that if you do a little research online about the temporary approval, I think that you will find that the reason behind it is the fact that at the time that it was granted, the UK was still a member of the EU, our membership of which ceased on the 31st Dec 2020. The rules at that time stated that individual states within the EU were able to grant temporary approval for drugs/vaccines for a limited period, and that is what the UK did as well as some other countries, such as Hungary I believe.

No doubt that in due course the relevant authority will grant full approval when it gets around to it.
Old 18 May 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4052186)   #1302
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, I'll stick my head above the parapet here...

Surely, if the jabs are as good as we are being told that they are (i.e. that if you have it you will be safe) the only people at risk and those who have chosen not to have it (or are yet to be offered it)?

But this is not the case, they don't stop us from catching, carrying or transmitting the virus, but what they can do in some cases is to reduce the severity of your symptoms if you do catch it.

Stay safe everyone (and I do mean that from the heart).
There was a chap on Jeremy Vine at lunchtime saying just this. "I've not been vaccinated it's my risk, if you've had the jabs then you're OK why do you worry about me?" Seemed a specious argument to me, some people need protecting from themselves. Every person being treated for a preventable disease is taking resources from a cancer patient.

Then of course on Five Live early this morning there was the Tin Foil Hat brigade, shouting "do your research sheeple" but never coming up with a scintilla of evidence for their crackpot theories.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4052193)   #1303
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The last sentence is the only part of this I have issue with. IMO the government is doing exactly the right thing in moving slowly, assessing the situation before opening the next bit. It's only five weeks to go, let's make sure we're doing the right thing.
the oxford/az vaccine is effective against the india mutation, so pfizer will be too. we’re doing exactly the right thing by making vaccines available to as many as we can by adjusting the eligible age range gradually and removing it entirely where relevant.

we are getting it right. we’ll see it becoming the dominant variant without a question but cases won’t go up by a significant amount. the media scaremongering is nonsense.

we aren’t looking at removing restrictions to an unvaccinated population, nearly 70% of adults have now received one dose. so probably around 60% are three weeks post-vaccine and 70-80% immune. each day that goes by that number increases. locking down isn’t the answer now. we’re in a different situation than we were in december in the same way as the first outbreak in march was different to the country in january 2020.
Old 18 May 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4052196)   #1304
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree. I still think softly, soft is the right approach.

Old 18 May 2021, 20:09 (Ref:4052200)   #1305
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There was a chap on Jeremy Vine at lunchtime saying just this. "I've not been vaccinated it's my risk, if you've had the jabs then you're OK why do you worry about me?" Seemed a specious argument to me, some people need protecting from themselves. Every person being treated for a preventable disease is taking resources from a cancer patient.

Then of course on Five Live early this morning there was the Tin Foil Hat brigade, shouting "do your research sheeple" but never coming up with a scintilla of evidence for their crackpot theories.

Max, I accept that I'm a lone voice in the wilderness here and I do honestly respect everyone who has done their research and have made the decision that having the vaccine is what they want to do, I am genuinely happy for them (I honestly am).
However, as time has gone on I have personally started to question things, and to do my own research which has led me to not blindly believe all of the information that is being fed to us by the main stream media. (I can also assure you that I don't believe a lot of the apparently crack-pot theories put out by some of the front runners in the anti-vaccination movement either!).
I am happy to believe that I am taking a well balanced view by listening to BOTH sides of the argument and then forming a judgement on what course of action I currently want to take. I continue to keep an open mind on this and am currently in the fortunate position that should my opinion change, I can choose to have the jab, but as this procedure is irreversible, it is not a decision that I am going to take lightly.
I do honestly hope that whatever course of action we all individually take, the end result is that we learn to live with this horrible virus, and that life goes on, economies and everything else return to normal and that The World remain safe place for us and those who follow on after us. The amount of resources that have been thrown at the virus over the past 15 months or so has knocked a huge hole in what could have been done for cancer patients (to use your example), and I personally question why.
I'll most likely get shot down for this (as well) but I saw something which for me puts this into perspective: "I'd tell you a Covid joke but there's a 99.696% chance you won't get it".
Stay safe everyone, this IS a community, and I really do care about my friends.
Old 18 May 2021, 20:53 (Ref:4052206)   #1306
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

This. For me, people should think of vaccines like seatbelts. They are there for your own good and the safety of others too. Therefore it’s only common sense they should be used. And since seat belts are mandated, then there’s no reason why vaccines can’t be either

And as for ‘listening to the other side’ as Viv suggested above, well why should we listen to a side that just arrogantly shout down the science and telling everyone how they right they are, without offering a bit of clear based evidence. Quite frankly these people shouldn’t be given a voice. They shouldn’t be allowed out of the house on their own quite frankly
Old 18 May 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4052208)   #1307
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think india is currently showing exactly how badly it can go wrong and how quickly too.

some advice if you or anyone else in england has decided not to get the vaccine:
- please socially distance and wear a mask as you were doing in january to protect those who aren’t able to have the vaccine
- if you change your mind you will need to book online, it’s unlikely you’ll be contacted if you’re a long way past due. the hub responsible for bookings at the centre i work at don’t chase people more than twice at most. your refusal will be noted on your medical record and they’ll move on. nobody will judge you for changing your mind. lots of folk here have been doing just that and we’re just happy to see them turning up.

and most importantly:
- please take up the offer of free lateral flow tests and use them twice a week as recommended.
Old 18 May 2021, 21:24 (Ref:4052210)   #1308
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Max, I accept that I'm a lone voice in the wilderness here and I do honestly respect everyone who has done their research and have made the decision that having the vaccine is what they want to do, I am genuinely happy for them (I honestly am).
However, as time has gone on I have personally started to question things, and to do my own research which has led me to not blindly believe all of the information that is being fed to us by the main stream media. (I can also assure you that I don't believe a lot of the apparently crack-pot theories put out by some of the front runners in the anti-vaccination movement either!).
I am happy to believe that I am taking a well balanced view by listening to BOTH sides of the argument and then forming a judgement on what course of action I currently want to take. I continue to keep an open mind on this and am currently in the fortunate position that should my opinion change, I can choose to have the jab, but as this procedure is irreversible, it is not a decision that I am going to take lightly.
I do honestly hope that whatever course of action we all individually take, the end result is that we learn to live with this horrible virus, and that life goes on, economies and everything else return to normal and that The World remain safe place for us and those who follow on after us. The amount of resources that have been thrown at the virus over the past 15 months or so has knocked a huge hole in what could have been done for cancer patients (to use your example), and I personally question why.
I'll most likely get shot down for this (as well) but I saw something which for me puts this into perspective: "I'd tell you a Covid joke but there's a 99.696% chance you won't get it".
Stay safe everyone, this IS a community, and I really do care about my friends.

Whilst baffled, I accept that you are sincere in the conclusion you have reached. However I have to say that there does seem more "hope" than rigour in your analysis. Your "joke" is virtually meaningless - unless by "get it" you mean die....in which case the percentage of the UK who have died is about right. However the percentage of the population known to have been infected (as a result of a positive test) is nearer 6.5%. And the outcomes in terms of deaths have only been kept to the level you consider derisory - because its a joke - because of the huge amount of resources devoted to it - of course at a cost to other programmes. However it does appear that some of the advances unearthed by the drive for a vaccine may well be significant in terms of treatment for other diseases.

I hope for your sake your view has traction. Mean time keep us posted on your travel plans so we can keep clear...........
Old 19 May 2021, 07:39 (Ref:4052231)   #1309
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Seems its all "up to you, make up your mind" because many infos are biased by politics who dont know much and scientists who are still waiting for the long term results.
My wife will have her first jab tomorrow but because we're living in a crowded area its a matter of "principe de précaution". I suppose that the decision made, or not, by people depends on the place they're living and the occupation, home work or retired for example. All this is very confusing and with the reopening of many public places today, shops, restaurants, terrasses, cinemas, many will play sorcerer's apprentices.
Even when we'll have had our two jabs, we'll remain very cautious for us and others. Stay safe, we're not sorted out yet.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4052232)   #1310
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Just now our Prez' says that we must move forward and see what will happen. Mister hakuna-matata or jeopardy now…
Old 19 May 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4052240)   #1311
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the mantra of 'none of us are safe until we are all safe' holds water.

But how will we be safe if some choose not to be safe?
Old 19 May 2021, 10:15 (Ref:4052245)   #1312
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll admit to being somewhat cynical about some aspects of this whole pandemic - simply because my natural default state is one of cynicism.

And we must remember the old adage: how do we know when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving!

So yes, there are undoubtedly political motives involved in all this and we hear so many conflicting reports that it can, at times, be difficult to know where the truth really lies.

However, there is, to my mind, one inalienable truth in all this, and that's this: your chances of suffering from severe side-effects of the vaccine are lower than your chances of suffering from the effects of Covid 19, and that's without considering any longer term effects that may, as yet, remain unknown.

And that, for me, makes it a no-brainer. We should all (except those known to be at risk for medical reasons) accept the vaccine when it's offered to us, simply because there's statistically more to lose potentially by not having it.
Old 19 May 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4052251)   #1313
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I fully agree with almost any point of view exposed here but I did notice some differ. Not knowing where and what the truth is, I'll go happily to my second jab and my beloved half will to. No other recommandation but stay safe you all. With love from France.
Old 19 May 2021, 23:12 (Ref:4052317)   #1314
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem with people choosing not to be vaccinated is it allows the virus to experiment with mutations until it finds one which evades the vaccines. The more people who are vaccinated then it has less access to potential hosts and fewer opportunities to find an escape. Thus having a vaccine doesn't just protect you in the short term, it protects everyone in the longer term.

Those who've had the opportunity to be vaccinated, chose not to and subsequently become seriously ill or worse, I'm sorry but my sympathy is completely lacking.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4057553)   #1315
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
For those wanting to travel abroad, racing purpose or other, I found this link interesting. Update can be found every Wednesday morning, countries are classified by color: Green, Orange, Red, Dark Red and Grey. ATM -June 21- France is "Orange" and Belgium "Dark Red" if I'm right.
Hope this helps: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-...-free-movement
Old 21 Jun 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4057555)   #1316
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
For those wanting to travel abroad, racing purpose or other, I found this link interesting. Update can be found every Wednesday morning, countries are classified by color: Green, Orange, Red, Dark Red and Grey. ATM -June 21- France is "Orange" and Belgium "Dark Red" if I'm right.
Hope this helps: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-...-free-movement
Sounds like the 'orage' warning system!
Old 21 Jun 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4057561)   #1317
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What's the 'orage' system? You've intrigued me
Old 21 Jun 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4057562)   #1318
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a "traffic light" system of countries where travel is permitted (Green), Restricted with quarantine on return (Orange) and Prohibited unless for business purposes (Red). Seems the EU has expanded this.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4057568)   #1319
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
'Orage' is the French word for storm, & the map of France is currently plastered with orange, yellow & green according to the severity of the storms in that particular area - and there has been some very severe ones in the last few days!
Old 21 Jun 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4057649)   #1320
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
See the trafic light system and the weather forecast? Yes? Well, its different!
Old 22 Jun 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4057776)   #1321
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm currently stressing because Scotland's dear Nicola has ordained that certain parts of North-West England are too infected for its residents to be allowed into Scotland - despite some Scottish areas (eg Dundee) having higher infection rates than some of the banned English areas......

Now I don't live in (although share initial postcode letters with) one of the banned areas, but my race partner is in Greater Manchester (which is banned from yesterday)......so will we / should we be able to get him into Scotland for our Knockhill event in under twp weeks? We're both double-jabbed, of course.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4057788)   #1322
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Now I don't live in (although share initial postcode letters with) one of the banned areas, but my race partner is in Greater Manchester (which is banned from yesterday)......so will we / should we be able to get him into Scotland for our Knockhill event in under twp weeks? We're both double-jabbed, of course.
There’s no border. There are no roadblocks. We are not - at least yet - living in a state where every movement in monitored. The idea of Scotland ‘banning’ travel to and from a specific city is pure political theatre.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 22:21 (Ref:4057806)   #1323
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
sturgeon is posturing, which is really awkward because that's all burnham knows how to do as well. as per the linked bbc article on the matter, dundee has an identical case profile to greater manchester. she was happy to let her national football supporters go down to london.

as for travel, i also find the gov.uk travel advice site combined with local embassy sites very useful, particularly for the semantics. very much worth setting up the nhs app on your phone to access your covid information if you haven't done so already to familiarise yourself with something that'll inevitably end up in uk motorsport as well.
Old 23 Jun 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4057833)   #1324
midgetman
Veteran

Has anyone read the latest MSUK newsletter? It's now driver plus FIVE allowed at events.

Old 23 Jun 2021, 08:20 (Ref:4057838)   #1325
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Has anyone read the latest MSUK newsletter? It's now driver plus FIVE allowed at events.

Didn't know that.