Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jun 2021, 06:34 (Ref:4054543)   #876
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speedcafe reporting delay on Gen3 cars now until August 2022.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 07:18 (Ref:4054546)   #877
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How come they want to switch cars mid season? Sounds expensive to me.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 07:21 (Ref:4054547)   #878
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That´s Bullcrap to switch regs mid season.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 07:45 (Ref:4054548)   #879
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
How come they want to switch cars mid season? Sounds expensive to me.
From memory (which means I'm probably wrong) it was because the Gen 3 car was supposed to debut in 2022. Pushing the debut back to midseason gives them room to fulfil the promise.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 08:04 (Ref:4054551)   #880
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
IMO it removes an element of skill and subsequently passing opportunities decrease. New regulations (less aero) may render that moot though
It makes no difference with flat changing, you don't see many missed shifts these days and if they were routinely missing shifts I would agree with you. If you want to create passing opportunities give them less brakes and make the braking distances longer. More passing does not necessarily make better racing, tactics and pressure over many laps is far more pleasing to watch.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4054562)   #881
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Speedcafe reporting delay on Gen3 cars now until August 2022.
Quote:
Supercars has today confirmed the Gen3 race cars are targeted for inclusion in the Repco Supercars Championship in August 2022.
https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...gen3-timeline/

I'm still a little baffled about it all. Where the heck did they find 5.4 Coyote and 5.7 LS engines, they are not standard capacities any more, and if you are not using standard capacities then why not stick to the trusty 5000cc? Are they going to use direct injection?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 4 Jun 2021 at 09:54.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 11:15 (Ref:4054576)   #882
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine having to make parity adjustments 3/4's of the way through a season you already interrupted 1/2 way through with reg changes lol

As long as they can get parity between two different body shapes and two different displacement engines first go, no mistakes, everything should be fine...
Old 4 Jun 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4054586)   #883
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Imagine having to make parity adjustments 3/4's of the way through a season you already interrupted 1/2 way through with reg changes lol

As long as they can get parity between two different body shapes and two different displacement engines first go, no mistakes, everything should be fine...
If you develop 2 cars with in parallel with similar methodologies and resources you should be right.

But when one is developed for $2m and another one closer to ten times that it is never going to come out in the wash.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jun 2021, 14:04 (Ref:4054609)   #884
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
More passing does not necessarily make better racing, tactics and pressure over many laps is far more pleasing to watch.
I'm not convinced many will share your sentiment there!

Don't think i've ever got particularly excited about a motor race where passing is minimal if at all.

Horses for courses, sure, but tactics and pressure needs to result in overtaking otherwise it's all for nothing surely?
Old 4 Jun 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4054615)   #885
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s not the same if a driver just catches and passes though. It’s more exciting watching a car catch another and wondering if they can get through. Seeing two cars in a chase for position can be more exciting than a car passing another and just pulling away. Of course every series should have rules that allow for passing obviously
Old 4 Jun 2021, 17:33 (Ref:4054643)   #886
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why not delay until 2023? Doesn't make sense ($$$) to introduce midway the season.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 02:14 (Ref:4054662)   #887
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The announcement of a mid season debut of the Gen3 car is nothing short of a disaster.

Whatever marketing capital there is in the new shapes of cars, the new news around additional REC entries, new liveries and the wholesale newness of a new pair of cars will be washed out in the midst of NRL, AFL and every other sport edging towards their grand finals. Plus the exhaustion of hype about the new car that seems just so far away.

An absolute monumental #%^*up

Teams now have to run their existing chassis for longer, keep engine programs going for longer. And may now not have the opportunity to exit their current chassis to fund the Gen3 cars. If Super2 isn’t running these cars next year at all then who will buy them?

A monumental s%^*show that in a traditional commercial environment would see the exit of not only the CEO but any number of those directly responsible.

Mr Cochrane has expressed his disappointment, calling the mid season change a “disgrace”

Which it absolutely is.

Not good enough by any measure.
And gagging the team owners perhaps on the provision of soft loans to convert their equipment isn't the answer either.

If someone like Mr Jones, with arguably a bigger inventory of existing gear than any other team, and a need to replace it all, was asked for his true thoughts on this.. what might they be?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Jun 2021, 07:11 (Ref:4054670)   #888
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
old codger here
in the 70s and 80s it was normal for new models or cars to be introduced mid year just before sandown or bathurst
Old 5 Jun 2021, 07:15 (Ref:4054671)   #889
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can understand the cause but if you are doing it mid year how do you sell the old cars to DVS?

Clumsy.

Old 5 Jun 2021, 07:26 (Ref:4054672)   #890
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I can understand the cause but if you are doing it mid year how do you sell the old cars to DVS?

Clumsy.

Hold Gen2 cars as inventory for six months, use some of the massive profits from the Foxtel deal to keep you going in the meantime
Old 5 Jun 2021, 08:56 (Ref:4054679)   #891
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
old codger here
in the 70s and 80s it was normal for new models or cars to be introduced mid year just before sandown or bathurst
True. HDT used to build a new car for Mr Brock for Bathurst most years, certainly they deliveries the ‘84 cars to fluoro Marlboro specs.

Yet the championship was heavily manufacturer/dealer/parts supplier assisted/ supported at that time, and definitely not at the full time professional self sufficient level with the number of teams in place as the current series appears to be.

Mr Adderton seems to think it’s a great idea to delay. As does Mr Johnson
The argument isn’t to delay or not, it’s when the changeover should happen.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 04:38 (Ref:4054791)   #892
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
old codger here
This is not a new model but a whole new set of regulations.Unprecedented in the history of motor racing.Equivalent to running the first half of 1984 for Group C and then changing to Group A half way through.
The only logical explanation I have heard is that there is something specific in their tv contract that Gen 3 would be introduced in 2022.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 08:16 (Ref:4054806)   #893
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will this work for Ford?

Don’t they have a new model Mustang they want to debut in 2023? What’s the point of building a whole new car for a few races at the end of 2022?

If they all buy TA2’s we’d be set to go right from Newcastle Rd1 next year
Old 6 Jun 2021, 10:52 (Ref:4054819)   #894
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
This is not a new model but a whole new set of regulations.Unprecedented in the history of motor racing.Equivalent to running the first half of 1984 for Group C and then changing to Group A half way through.
The only logical explanation I have heard is that there is something specific in their tv contract that Gen 3 would be introduced in 2022.
So.. any new REC holder also has to secure use of a Gen3 AND a current car in the same year. Might scare off a potential new investor/team.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 00:09 (Ref:4055028)   #895
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Is it even "legal" (from a FIA etc perspective) to change regulations mid-season? This isn't a wing adjustment or a weight change, it's a serious change.

I've seen in other motorsports fairly innocuous things put their championship status in jeopardy
Old 7 Jun 2021, 02:58 (Ref:4055039)   #896
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It isn't an international series anymore, so the FIA wouldn't even consider it.

CAMS probably wouldn't block it, because Supercars. Despite it being like the AFL changing mid year and playing Rugby League. Well, they're both football....?
Old 11 Jun 2021, 04:19 (Ref:4055652)   #897
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Test Drivers,

CHeck !
Old 11 Jun 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4055795)   #898
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just wanna see a 3rd or 4th manufacturer join...
Old 11 Jun 2021, 23:10 (Ref:4055804)   #899
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I just wanna see a 3rd or 4th manufacturer join...
Who/what with?
Old 12 Jun 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4055854)   #900
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Who/what with?
Any suggestions would be welcomed but give the manufacturer a call first and ask would they do it. I'll save you the time and expense, judging from the lack of starters I guess there are none interested and not many suitable cars anyway with less each year. The closed shop in the early years has done the series no favours I suspect but that is a personal view and could be entirely wrong.
Closed Thread