Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Oct 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4076817)   #451
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
Is there anyway of watching race 2 live? BT sport are not advertising it at all.
Not officially - 'Saturday's race will be broadcast live on BT Sports ESPN, with coverage starting at 12:15pm BST.

The second race of the weekend on Sunday will not be streamed live in the UK due to scheduling clashes'
Old 3 Oct 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4076818)   #452
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not officially - 'Saturday's race will be broadcast live on BT Sports ESPN, with coverage starting at 12:15pm BST.

The second race of the weekend on Sunday will not be streamed live in the UK due to scheduling clashes'
Yes I find that totally baffling, they even showed qualifying, but no mention of the race anywhere.
Old 3 Oct 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4076820)   #453
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
2022 very interesting for European GT3.

DTM has gotten stronger and stronger through its first year with GT3, and the all 'PRO' format has been popular.

How does that affect GTWC and GT Masters?

GT Open is struggling for numbers, British GT is too to a lesser extent, but those are for different reasons
I think the solution is to create a brand new GT3 series! Just kidding.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4077760)   #454
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WOW, WOW, WOW. JUST WOW.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4077808)   #455
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a crazy finale!
Old 10 Oct 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4077821)   #456
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wel I don’t think AF corse will be back which means I doubt Ferrari will be back after that today
Old 10 Oct 2021, 20:20 (Ref:4077883)   #457
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Wel I don’t think AF corse will be back which means I doubt Ferrari will be back after that today
I’m sure they’d seen DTM before they entered. Also if they get paid again, they’ll be back.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 22:49 (Ref:4077917)   #458
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame Mercedes played their tactical games, this should be clearly banned - DTM is now all about teams rather than manufacturers so I'd understand if he was helped by his teammates. Otherwise it gets unfair if Mercedes is able to have 8 cars whereas Ferrari 2. I didn't cheer for Ferrari and Lawson and I'm quite happy with Götz being a champion - he was somewhere there all season and avoided s*it that both van der Linde and Lawson were involved in too often - remember that Lawson also had some brainless moves this year.

All in all I think Götz is a deserving champion, it's a shame though, that Mercedes (and not Haupt Racing) clearly played tactical - this shouldn't happen again next season.

Also, I'm quite astonished with level of hate Götz and van der Linde (especially the latter) receive in the social media - some may say it's understandable but really it's not the right way to express criticism and disappointment. Yes, van der Linde may have made a stupid move but it was not as stupid - there've been hundreds of such at Norisring and will be hundreds more. He happened to hit Lawson, yes, that leaves a bad taste but I doubt it was intentional. Götz drove his, clean race - if someone is to receive criticism is Mercedes but not him. If I were Maxi I probably wouldn't feel 100% satisfied but on the other hand it's him who collected most points - if they weren't given after quali, he'd have significantly more points than Lawson. That should say something about his performance throughout the season.

I'm quite amazed seeing so many people crying that it's not Motorsport and they quit watching it. I understand, DTM may not be everyone's thing but on the other hand - don't we all look at history cards fascinated by a lot of drama, controversy and unexpected moments as something that really shaped motorsport and gave a lot of spice to it?

If AF Corse/Red Bull leaves DTM it's quite a shame but on the other hand I wouldn't cry - they shouldn't quit after one failed attempt, this is not what sport is all about.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4077929)   #459
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
It's a shame Mercedes played their tactical games, this should be clearly banned - DTM is now all about teams rather than manufacturers so I'd understand if he was helped by his teammates. Otherwise it gets unfair if Mercedes is able to have 8 cars whereas Ferrari 2. I didn't cheer for Ferrari and Lawson and I'm quite happy with Götz being a champion - he was somewhere there all season and avoided s*it that both van der Linde and Lawson were involved in too often - remember that Lawson also had some brainless moves this year.

All in all I think Götz is a deserving champion, it's a shame though, that Mercedes (and not Haupt Racing) clearly played tactical - this shouldn't happen again next season.

Also, I'm quite astonished with level of hate Götz and van der Linde (especially the latter) receive in the social media - some may say it's understandable but really it's not the right way to express criticism and disappointment. Yes, van der Linde may have made a stupid move but it was not as stupid - there've been hundreds of such at Norisring and will be hundreds more. He happened to hit Lawson, yes, that leaves a bad taste but I doubt it was intentional. Götz drove his, clean race - if someone is to receive criticism is Mercedes but not him. If I were Maxi I probably wouldn't feel 100% satisfied but on the other hand it's him who collected most points - if they weren't given after quali, he'd have significantly more points than Lawson. That should say something about his performance throughout the season.

I'm quite amazed seeing so many people crying that it's not Motorsport and they quit watching it. I understand, DTM may not be everyone's thing but on the other hand - don't we all look at history cards fascinated by a lot of drama, controversy and unexpected moments as something that really shaped motorsport and gave a lot of spice to it?

If AF Corse/Red Bull leaves DTM it's quite a shame but on the other hand I wouldn't cry - they shouldn't quit after one failed attempt, this is not what sport is all about.
I would say when you cut a corner and drive straight into the car in front, you had no intention of making the corner. Espeicially from so far back as well. I think KVL deserves every comment he gets. He even stated in the interview after Q2 that he would "perfect'" the first corner....

Its a shame that KVL brought down an otherwise great season of DTM.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 01:54 (Ref:4077936)   #460
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No chance KVL did it on purpose imo, the scenario for him to win the championship would require him to finish i think top2? If not first and Lawson not to finish. Doing it on purpose would cause KVL massive risk of a penalty or damage and no guarantee of causing Lawson to finish outside of the points (obviously this did end up happening). Just think he genuinely missed his braking point ever so slightly and thought he would try and make the corner as best as he could. Driving later on in the race might have been on the edge/over it though.

As for the Goetz team orders im surprised that anyones surprised that it happened. From memory the commentator never mentioned it during the race until it actually happened which surprised me because after about 10 minutes it became almost obvious what was going to happen. A. its always happened in DTM B. Ellis/Auer and their teams run across multiple series (GTWC,ADAC GT Masters) so i wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes dont contribute financially or with access to factory drivers.

Doesn't sit well with me but then im miserable so little in modern motorsport does.

Last edited by tux; 11 Oct 2021 at 01:59.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:39 (Ref:4077990)   #461
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess the stakes were high. I too see little point KVL would do it on purpose. He needed to win. You only really see that sort of deliberate stuff when a driver has a points advantage, so I don't what he would have had to gain by doing that. Of course he could have been more aggressive in that situation, but it seemed like a genuine mistake. Although there is no doubt he was making sure he did what he could

And of course the team orders were bound to happen. Obviously no one wanted to admit it, but it was going to happen. Some things don't change. Auer is right to take one for the team. That's life. It will always happen. So there you go
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:50 (Ref:4077996)   #462
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
No chance KVL did it on purpose imo, the scenario for him to win the championship would require him to finish i think top2? If not first and Lawson not to finish. Doing it on purpose would cause KVL massive risk of a penalty or damage and no guarantee of causing Lawson to finish outside of the points (obviously this did end up happening). Just think he genuinely missed his braking point ever so slightly and thought he would try and make the corner as best as he could. Driving later on in the race might have been on the edge/over it though.
Totally planned move IMO. For him to win he had to get past Lawson and then secure either 1st or 2nd place with Lawson finishing well back. Probably not likely to happen thus KVL really had nothing to lose. Lawson only needed to finish 6th I think to win the championship.

KVL did the same thing in Race 1 but Lawson managed to get out of the way! It was KVL's overly aggressive driving later in Race 2 that caused his puncture and spin. There's karma in this world after all!

What beats me is why Lawson didn't see it coming pre race and plan to brake a little early and satisfy himself with being maybe a safe 2nd or 3rd out of Turn 1. Surely the team would have discussed the strategy?

A real pity for him and I was totally gutted to see the incident but it's a learning experience for him and realistically DTM is essentially only a sideshow for him which gains him extra Super Licence points.

Nevertheless DTM Champ would have had a nice ring to it!

Maxi has had some good drives and I'm glad he picked up the win even if it was with a little help from his friends.

Cassidy too could have been a friend for Liam had there been a few more laps left to get to the front, mind you the Mercs wouldn't have made it easy for him. Sterling drive!

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 11 Oct 2021 at 10:03.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:13 (Ref:4078104)   #463
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was certainly a move of high aggression and with little regard for what happened to Lawson. Of course you don't plan on crashing someone out, because a) you don't and b) you don't know what will happen to your car. What you can do is to use so much space there's none left for the car on the outside and let the chips fall where they may. If KVL had had a better start he could have done it halfway fairly. Instead, he went over the line in a pretty cheap way. If you aspire to be a champion you should also aspire to be better than that.

That said, Lawson could have handled it way better. He's got his championship rival, who has to win the race and for Lawson not to score, probably coming up the inside like a missile on a street circuit. Just hang wide and let him have it. If he's in front he can't crash you out. Lawson isn't in any way responsible for the incident, but with other choices he could have come out with the title.

As for Mercedes and Götz... It would have been a misconduct of duty of Mercedes if they hadn't moved Ellis and Auer. You either have team orders or not and we have them. A champion isn't just about who's driving the car. But to be a champion you have to do your part, and when it mattered, Götz did all he had to from the toughest position of the three. That's a championship performance if any.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4078110)   #464
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
As for Mercedes and Götz... It would have been a misconduct of duty of Mercedes if they hadn't moved Ellis and Auer. You either have team orders or not and we have them.
But Ellis and Auer aren't in his team. If all 6-8 Mercs are de facto one team, why would Ferrari (or Lamborghini, or McLaren) bother entering with only one or two cars?
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4078113)   #465
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
But Ellis and Auer aren't in his team.
He who pays the bills calls the tune.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4078128)   #466
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
But Ellis and Auer aren't in his team. If all 6-8 Mercs are de facto one team, why would Ferrari (or Lamborghini, or McLaren) bother entering with only one or two cars?
Mercedes was very honest about how it looks like - they all share data, work together, all teams are financed by Mercedes. Yes, they're separate teams and I wish they were 'more separate' but look how all factory drivers move freely between teams in various championships. Mercedes AMG customer racing is just one organisation, in DTM it's just run by a few teams.

It's a bit unfair but I don't think it was possible for Winward to tell their drivers "you're racing your own race, don't let Gotz by" because they'd face grim consequences from Mercedes. After all they work for Mercedes and if Mercedes is not happy with them, they can just walk away.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4078168)   #467
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its very clear cut really, all AMG teams are independent teams, but for the DTM are being financed by Mercedes AMG Customer Racing, making AMG their employer for the series essentially (the team is almost like a self-employed person in that scenario).

Obviously with Mercedes bankrolling, the individual teams are going to support the factories ambition of winning the title, and they by all means are going to do so, so they get som more sweet factory funding in the future...

Add the second layer into it, that most of the drivers in Mercedes this year receive their paychecks from the factory, and we are heading into contract renewal territory, then its pretty obvious what they are all going to do.

Doesn't make it great for us the fans, but its completely logical from their perspective.

Its also really not the DTM's fault, and realistically, van der Linde isnt known for those kind of moves either so you cant accuse him of being a horrible driver based on one bad decision.

KVL made a bad move, he probably should have more graciously admitted that sure, but hes not exactly a mega villian for it.

Its a shame the DTM finished that way, but overall was it a good season? Yes.
Was it better than the year before? I'd say so. Racing was more exciting.

I know some of the neighsayers are still upset its just another GT3 series now, but they are also the same people who will probably be upset at DTM's new Electric concept, so how does DTM win there?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4078200)   #468
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Merc obviously give them some help, they need their brand to do well and they picked a good team to do it. I don't blame them. It hasn't detracted from the series, it's added to it if anything.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4078212)   #469
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2021 DTM final standings:

1. GER Maximilian Götz (HRT Mercedes), 230
2. NZL Liam Lawson (AF Corse Ferrari), 227
3. RSA Kelvin van der Linde (Abt Audi), 208
4. GER Marco Wittmann (Walkenhorst BMW), 171
5. AUT Lucas Auer (HTP Mercedes), 152
6. THA Alex Albon (AF Corse Ferrari), 130
7. SUI Philip Ellis (HTP Mercedes), 129
8. GER Mike Rockenfeller (Abt Audi), 89
9. ESP Daniel Juncadella (GruppeM Mercedes), 77
10. SUI Nico Müller (Rosberg Audi), 56
11. RSA Sheldon van der Linde (Rowe Mercedes), 55
12. IND Arjun Maini (GetSpeed Mercedes), 48

Four different manufacturers in the top 4. Six Mercedes in the top 12.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4078251)   #470
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Its very clear cut really, all AMG teams are independent teams, but for the DTM are being financed by Mercedes AMG Customer Racing, making AMG their employer for the series essentially (the team is almost like a self-employed person in that scenario).

Obviously with Mercedes bankrolling, the individual teams are going to support the factories ambition of winning the title, and they by all means are going to do so, so they get som more sweet factory funding in the future...

Add the second layer into it, that most of the drivers in Mercedes this year receive their paychecks from the factory, and we are heading into contract renewal territory, then its pretty obvious what they are all going to do.

Doesn't make it great for us the fans, but its completely logical from their perspective.

Its also really not the DTM's fault, and realistically, van der Linde isnt known for those kind of moves either so you cant accuse him of being a horrible driver based on one bad decision.

KVL made a bad move, he probably should have more graciously admitted that sure, but hes not exactly a mega villian for it.

Its a shame the DTM finished that way, but overall was it a good season? Yes.
Was it better than the year before? I'd say so. Racing was more exciting.

I know some of the neighsayers are still upset its just another GT3 series now, but they are also the same people who will probably be upset at DTM's new Electric concept, so how does DTM win there?
To be honest, I would have been very frustrated if Mercedes hadn't used team orders and Lawson would have won the title. I would have wondered if they were there to win to begin with.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 08:49 (Ref:4078393)   #471
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harsh criticism from Berger of Mercedes and Kelvin van der Linde. According to him, the entire racing series was damaged by the incidents on Sunday.
https://gt-place.com/2021/10/14/gerh...ring-klartext/
Old 14 Oct 2021, 15:48 (Ref:4078461)   #472
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see how he, or anyone else would have expected a different outcome under those circumstances. If Verstappen needs a win to get the F1 championship and he is third behind Tsunoda and Gasly with a few laps to go what are the chances that Red Bull lets it just play out in the name of sport?

You can't really legislate rules against it because I'm quite sure Auer/Ellis are capable of spinning the car out or making it look accidental if needed. Would you begin penalizing people because they spin out of the lead to the benefit of another car from the same manufacturer? How do you prove it was ordered or done on purpose and wasn't simply a mistake?
Old 14 Oct 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4078465)   #473
S griffin
Veteran

They should know it’s always been a part of the sport. Obviously we don’t want other teams interfering, Verstappen should really rely on his own team to help, not others

Team orders will always be part of the sport. What else could Albon and Ellis do? They’d find a way anyway. Of course some are sneaky about it and make it look like normal racing and that’s fine. But you won’t be able to legislate against team orders, so you might as well keep it, rather than try to hide it and make teams find other ways to make it happen. That’s how it goes
Old 14 Oct 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4078475)   #474
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't watch DTM anymore but in the past the big problem was manufacturers used already team tactics in the early part of the season. I don't want that but have no problems if they do in the last one or two rounds.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4078476)   #475
S griffin
Veteran

The DTM is still going strong. There will always be team tactics, although some have been over the top. What Merc did in the last round was maybe a bit underhand considering, but no worse than what other manufacturers and teams have done in the past