Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2021, 09:01 (Ref:4084715)   #126
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
I'm wondering if there's a scenario where a race can occur under heavy rain like today?

I'm not aware if Mostert said anything during the coverage. But he did race on the Saturday of the TCR round at PI. The conditions were comparable, and that race went on with little/no trouble.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4084721)   #127
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have raced at the circuit in worse conditions than those today.I was out there and not watching tv so I could judge for myself.
The determining factor today IMHO was preventing large amounts of damage 10 days before practice starts at Bathurst.If the next race was at for example Winton in 3 weeks time there is no doubt in my mind there would have been a race today.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4084736)   #128
Mr X
Rookie

Mr X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Send out the Trans-am cars to entertain the crowd who have paid good money to watch a race.
If you think the Supercar wet is bad, you should see the TransAm version
Old 21 Nov 2021, 11:44 (Ref:4084737)   #129
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
An observation..
Why does the ARDC want to waste state government money building a workshop et al for a commercial operation, when the state of the surface of most of the Eastern Creek circuit, and the drainage on and around the circuit, is so fundamentally poor?

Puddle and rivers are spoken of in every wet session, cars fall off the road as traction is compromised by tens of thousands of litres of water wobbling across the road surface.

It continues to annoy me when the anti-street track folks say we should be investing in permanent circuits, when we have the opportunity and government funds to do so, and clearly cannot be bothered..

Yes the Dunlop wet in Supercar is suboptimal.. and so is the circuit..!
Any excuse to kick the track and the ARDC……

Have government funds even been made available to resurface?
Old 21 Nov 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4084862)   #130
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Any excuse to kick the track and the ARDC……

Have government funds even been made available to resurface?
You tell me...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Nov 2021, 21:24 (Ref:4084865)   #131
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
If you think the Supercar wet is bad, you should see the TransAm version
Still managed to wobble around in the second race yesterday in very wet conditions.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 21:27 (Ref:4084866)   #132
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The determining factor today IMHO was preventing large amounts of damage 10 days before practice starts at Bathurst.If the next race was at for example Winton in 3 weeks time there is no doubt in my mind there would have been a race today.
Well said.
Old 22 Nov 2021, 00:00 (Ref:4084883)   #133
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They have raced at the circuit in worse conditions than those today.I was out there and not watching tv so I could judge for myself.
I thought the same thing
Old 22 Nov 2021, 00:18 (Ref:4084884)   #134
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Somewhat odd logic for motor racing.

If it's raining Saturday at Bathurst do they call off quali because some cars might get damaged with limited repair time to be ready for the race?

It was safe or it wasn't, nothing else should come into it.
Old 22 Nov 2021, 03:41 (Ref:4084895)   #135
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Somewhat odd logic for motor racing.

If it's raining Saturday at Bathurst do they call off quali because some cars might get damaged with limited repair time to be ready for the race?

It was safe or it wasn't, nothing else should come into it.
This was a hopefully unique situation.Not only was it 10 days before Bathurst but a lot of the teams would not be able to get back to their workshops.
It has been raining a number of times on Saturdays at Bathurst.I remember a lot of conservative Shootout laps as teams made sure they wouldn’t have to fix damage.
It was just as wet at the Creek for Supercars on Saturday of 2014 and Sunday of 2015 and there was no thought of delaying or not holding the races.
Maybe nothing else should come into it but it is naive to think nothing else did.There were people sitting near me who I felt sorry for.One group came from Victoria and another from regional NSW for the meeting with all the costs of accomodation and transport.None of them were going to Bathurst.Denying them a race to protect Bathurst didn’t seem like a great plan to them.
Old 22 Nov 2021, 06:05 (Ref:4084903)   #136
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Watching a show called 7th Gear. I've seen a few episodes in the past month. Has anybody else seen it?
Old 22 Nov 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4085024)   #137
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars spent two decades trying to tell us that the championship is as important as Bathurst, and Tony Cochrane always said preferably more important.

The last two years and particularly last Sunday have shied away from that, and the impression a casual viewer would have gotten last Sunday was that the championship is meaningless compared to Bathurst.

Team owners (and drivers towing the line) saying a championship points paying race should be cancelled to “save” cars for another race in two weeks.

Then the TV coverage switches off just after the race is called with just a token interview with the bloke who has just wrapped up the championship.

It was all very odd, interestingly Foxtel ducked away from the coverage quickly too, hardly a good look for motorsport especially as it’s the last “advertisement” prior to the Repco 1000.
Old 23 Nov 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4085038)   #138
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, feel for the fans at the track. Went home cold and miserable for nothing.

And if the turnaround to Bathurst was a concern for anyone damaging a car perhaps the 4th SMP round should not have been held. Oh but contracts. They really stuffed it. I still believe the season could have been salvaged better than the plan they went with.

Also, having a dry race on Sunday would not guarantee a grid of undamaged cars. What was a team to do 10 days before Bathurst in that scenario? They would have just gotten on with the job of being ready.
Old 23 Nov 2021, 05:43 (Ref:4085055)   #139
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
PS The Championship is meaningless compared to Bathurst.
Refunds for single day ticket holders which is good but proportional refunds for multi day ticket holders would have been nice too.
Old 23 Nov 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4085059)   #140
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been nice to see the race go full distance, it could have been Percat’s chance to reward BJR with a win.

In reality it would have been a crashfest, and with Bathurst in under two weeks along with border restrictions due to the Wuhan virus it would be a big ask for teams.

Personally I was just glad to see some car racing on TV, and look forward to Bathurst.
Old 23 Nov 2021, 08:02 (Ref:4085060)   #141
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
PS The Championship is meaningless compared to Bathurst.
Of course it is, however that’s not the line Supercars has pushed for twenty years, they’ve strived to put the championship on at least equal footing with Bathurst

Why on Sunday though would they so publically dismiss the meaning of the championship, especially on one of the live FTA races? Seems like a backward step.

I still don’t understand why Foxtel dropped off the coverage so fast? All the hours they devote over the year, and they ended the coverage after a short interview in the rain with the driver who’s just wrapped up the championship that Foxtel has followed all season.
Old 23 Nov 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4085105)   #142
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Of course it is, however that’s not the line Supercars has pushed for twenty years, they’ve strived to put the championship on at least equal footing with Bathurst

Why on Sunday though would they so publically dismiss the meaning of the championship, especially on one of the live FTA races? Seems like a backward step.

I still don’t understand why Foxtel dropped off the coverage so fast? All the hours they devote over the year, and they ended the coverage after a short interview in the rain with the driver who’s just wrapped up the championship that Foxtel has followed all season.
Nobody cares.

Only a person not interested in motor racing in a lightweight community thinks lumping a single 1000km in with 10 meetings of 3x20min is a good idea.

It's a community lacking in substance, and they just do whatever it takes for vested interests/cliques to get by. That's why they change their tune.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 00:23 (Ref:4085204)   #143
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Nobody cares.

Only a person not interested in motor racing in a lightweight community thinks lumping a single 1000km in with 10 meetings of 3x20min is a good idea.

It's a community lacking in substance, and they just do whatever it takes for vested interests/cliques to get by. That's why they change their tune.
A lot of words with no substance, are you the only TRUE motor sport enthusiast on this board and if so what differentiates you from all the other lightweights (your word). A full explanation of your thinking might set me right but we have not seen anything more than brief posts with mostly puzzling weird sentences. I eagerly await your expansion and thinking on this subject.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 00:28 (Ref:4085205)   #144
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
A lot of words with no substance, are you the only TRUE motor sport enthusiast on this board and if so what differentiates you from all the other lightweights (your word). A full explanation of your thinking might set me right but we have not seen anything more than brief posts with mostly puzzling weird sentences. I eagerly await your expansion and thinking on this subject.
What do you want to be explained?
Old 24 Nov 2021, 01:30 (Ref:4085213)   #145
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Nobody cares.

I agree it would be better if Bathurst was separate from the Championship largely because there would be more chance of reverting to free driver line up choices and allowing the full timers to pair up and also I remember too many cases where teams have compromised their efforts to win the only race that matters in the pursuit of series points.
But someone should point out to you that the last year of 3x20 minute races was 2000.Last time you paid attention?
Old 24 Nov 2021, 03:41 (Ref:4085221)   #146
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What do you want to be explained?
Why everyone here is a lightweight motor sport fan except you.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 05:04 (Ref:4085226)   #147
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But someone should point out to you that the last year of 3x20 minute races was 2000.Last time you paid attention?
And was the "Star" even born then?
Old 24 Nov 2021, 05:06 (Ref:4085227)   #148
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We should probably pass the hat around for a 44-gallon drum of Mylanta now that the "two warring factions" are now one
Old 24 Nov 2021, 05:53 (Ref:4085229)   #149
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
We should probably pass the hat around for a 44-gallon drum of Mylanta now that the "two warring factions" are now one
How is the Kelvinmonster these days?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Nov 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4085262)   #150
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I did not say everyone here is a lightweight motorsport fan, even though I've pointed such fingers previously at some.

I said...

Quote:

There's nothing wrong this this.

The "person" I was referring in to particular was Tony Cochrane, and he is not someone interested in motor racing. It was his idea to lump Bathurst with a series of 10rounds x 3heats x 20mins races at the time.

It was a lazy idea that that did not enhance the ATCC as a motor racing competition, and had actually diminished Bathurst (If you count the current B1000 with the original ARDC run B1000), even though it generated commercial success. The fact no prominent Aus motorsport identity even queried the merit of it is a reflection of motor racing in Australia being a smaller culture.

Cochrane being seen as successful is a reflection of motor racing in Australia being a smaller culture. He would not succeed as an admin in any bigger, more mature racing cultures in the world (Both Indy and Nascar, UK/European and Japanese).

Australian motor racing is still affected by the legacy of this bozo. Nobody knows how to get out of it.