Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4121457)   #151
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There has been a discussion about the TV coverage of the BTCC weekends, and although I think that we are lucky with what we have because it could be far worse.

However, I have noticed that the coverage is shrinking in comparison to past years. Whereas most Sunday programmes started between 10 a.m. and about 11.15, they are now regularly starting at midday, and this may account for the fact that we see less of the supporting races, especially as they also spend more time gassing in the on-track studio.

Anyone else observed this?
Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:29 (Ref:4121459)   #152
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There has been a discussion about the TV coverage of the BTCC weekends, and although I think that we are lucky with what we have because it could be far worse.

However, I have noticed that the coverage is shrinking in comparison to past years. Whereas most Sunday programmes started between 10 a.m. and about 11.15, they are now regularly starting at midday, and this may account for the fact that we see less of the supporting races, especially as they also spend more time gassing in the on-track studio.

out of 6 events only two have started from midday

Donington Park: Sunday 24 April – 1050-1815
Brands Hatch Indy: Sunday 15 May – ITV4: 1100-1355 & 1655-1835, ITV: 1400-1700
Thruxton: Sunday 29 May – 1100-1815
Oulton Park: Sunday 12 June – ITV: 1210-1510, ITV4: 1505-1835
Croft: Sunday 26 June – 1130-1835
Knockhill: Sunday 31 July – ITV: 1200-1500, ITV4: 1455-1800
Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:47 (Ref:4121466)   #153
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
out of 6 events only two have started from midday

Donington Park: Sunday 24 April – 1050-1815
Brands Hatch Indy: Sunday 15 May – ITV4: 1100-1355 & 1655-1835, ITV: 1400-1700
Thruxton: Sunday 29 May – 1100-1815
Oulton Park: Sunday 12 June – ITV: 1210-1510, ITV4: 1505-1835
Croft: Sunday 26 June – 1130-1835
Knockhill: Sunday 31 July – ITV: 1200-1500, ITV4: 1455-1800
And those are the two starting on ITV rather than ITV4 - presumably too much money for an extra hour of build-up.

Which I agree, is noticeable and a bit annoying, especially at the expense of a support race / highlights. But then of course, it's on ITV.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:51 (Ref:4121467)   #154
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Advance notice - broadcast details will be the same for Snetterton as they were for Knockhill.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 21:51 (Ref:4121468)   #155
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
And those are the two starting on ITV rather than ITV4 - presumably too much money for an extra hour of build-up.
It's because Barry can't cope with more than one channel change a day.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4121497)   #156
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I don't have a problem with ITV dropping the 45 mins of pre-race fluff and filler. If I was out and recorded the show I'd always fast forward to the start of the race as there was rarely anything of interest.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4121512)   #157
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think the windscreen strip at least was different, but existing PHSC (PSHC? PCSH?) branding was still there.
The windscreen had Mane K9 Security Services.

This appears to be an increase in presence, having been on the rear quarters of all 3 cars so far this season.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 10:20 (Ref:4121515)   #158
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only issue is with race 1 being at noon the teams have less time to repair and prep cars, also the orange army dont get a decent break, fine if you have plenty off bodies to allow a semi-stand down (park your arse for a munch but if we need you you run).... i really felt for the chicane and clarks crews at knockie as they had a lot of sweeping of gravel between races....
Old 2 Aug 2022, 10:51 (Ref:4121516)   #159
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's because Barry can't cope with more than one channel change a day.
in fairness every time they change channel they probably lose viewers they don't get back. i know i didn't switch once itv's show had ended, i switched to netflix instead then forgot about the last race...
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:35 (Ref:4121570)   #160
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Says everything you need to know that most notable thing to happen to Tom Chilton all weekend was the commentator getting his name wrong.
Repeatedly!

Tom Chilton did have a pretty solid weekend though, by the standards of the last couple of seasons
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:37 (Ref:4121571)   #161
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:
Kellett disqualified from his Ginetta win.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...es-Kellett.pdf

...meaning it's an Am 1-2!
Chris Kellett was saying in the post race interview that it was Ashton Miller's fault because he switched lines at the last moment.
Didn;t look that way to me. He was just talking the normal racing line and got punted out from behind
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:43 (Ref:4121572)   #162
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Forgot to say well done to George Gamble. He’s really taken to the BTCC like a duck to water and proves that you can beat Morgan in his team. He thoroughly deserved that win after a controlled drive
|To be fair, I think Adam Morgan must have run over a black cat before tracing began,
Having to start from pit lane in race 1, forced wide at start of race 2 meaning he lost a ton of places on the first lap- I donlt know what happened in the last couple of pas in this race to him. Third race was relatively straightforward.

He basically had top six pace but everything went wrong.

Nevertheless, it was great to see George Gamble win the final race. He controlled things brilliantly from the front, and it clearly meant a huge amount to him. Think he has budget problems and I sense getting the drive at the start of the season was his last chance at the big time.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:46 (Ref:4121576)   #163
mattcanary
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Totally agree.I sense ITV may be losing interest.

It has been a big summer of sport, (although not sure ITV have the rights to that much of it!)
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:51 (Ref:4121600)   #164
InYourMirrors45
Rookie

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
What’s the issue?
The Honda engine installation differs vastly to any other M-Sport powered car. It’s not something they can fix mid season so unless all M-Sport Cars get a significant boost increase at some point don’t expect to see their performance massively improved. They should be a bit more competitive at thruxton though.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 21:55 (Ref:4121608)   #165
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the first two races very exciting. The Race 1 battle between Hill and Sutton in particular was hair-raising stuff - I was really expecting one or both of them to fly off into the gravel at almost any moment, they looked that on the edge, especially with all the contact between them.

Yes the BMWs were very strong, but I see that as a good thing as the championship is wide open now. Given how much Tingram and Sutton in particular have come on since Turkington's last championship win, I think it's great that he's in a position to mount a serious challenge, with Hill in the mix as well.

Someone just give Cookie and JP new engines and it would all be perfect.

The commentary was great and to me it seemed less dumbed-down this time out on ITV 1, which is good.

I'm also really continuing to enjoy the absence of the soft tyre, while that lasts... Surely anyone can see it wasn't needed this weekend?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:38 (Ref:4121612)   #166
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
I found the first two races very exciting. The Race 1 battle between Hill and Sutton in particular was hair-raising stuff - I was really expecting one or both of them to fly off into the gravel at almost any moment, they looked that on the edge, especially with all the contact between them.
so slight contact and generally agressive Hill made for exiting racing ??? who would have thought that ?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 23:09 (Ref:4121618)   #167
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so slight contact and generally agressive Hill made for exiting racing ??? who would have thought that ?
How very Straw man to portray contact as being the cause of exciting racing?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 23:38 (Ref:4121619)   #168
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I don't agree with many things you write but I know the contact in the BTCC is an exciting spectacle for a lot of spectators. Certainly when I was younger watching it in the 90s I loved it, but bear in mind with so many manufacturers involved then there were bigger budgets to repair the cars.

I've said before I still don't mind seeing a few little nudges or rubs between some of the top drivers and teams (One of the best examples was Sutton and Cook trading a little paint in some of their battles in very close racing with great mutual respect between these two friends). What I don't like is people being punted into the gravel, dangerous driving, and any serious damage especially to some of the less well funded drivers and teams.

I fully understand why others object to any and all contact though.

Anyway, this has been discussed plenty here already. It probably needs its own thread if people still want to keep arguing about it.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 06:04 (Ref:4121633)   #169
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Anyway, this has been discussed plenty here already. It probably needs its own thread if people still want to keep arguing about it.
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157247
Old 3 Aug 2022, 09:17 (Ref:4121654)   #170
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interesting to hear Hill complain about Sutton's driving standards today, when you look at the front of his own car in R1....

He seems to be adopting the Jordan role in that team at the moment.
Context maybe? Hill hit Sutton because Sutton braked early and Hill braked too late...locked up and couldn't stop....and Sutton was upset about that, amplified by the fact that Turkington did the same for the same reason....

Hill was upset about being pushed onto the grass and into the pitlane...his point being the Drivers Group headed by Sutton and Rowbo talks about giving racing room which wasn't given - and he added that Sutton was squeezing him to the point where if he (Hill) kept his foot in, Sutton would have turned himself around the front of the BMW, Jake and Sutton would have ended up DNF with damage....so he eased out of it

Two very different situations
Old 3 Aug 2022, 10:03 (Ref:4121662)   #171
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Context maybe? Hill hit Sutton because Sutton braked early and Hill braked too late...locked up and couldn't stop....and Sutton was upset about that, amplified by the fact that Turkington did the same for the same reason....

Hill was upset about being pushed onto the grass and into the pitlane...his point being the Drivers Group headed by Sutton and Rowbo talks about giving racing room which wasn't given - and he added that Sutton was squeezing him to the point where if he (Hill) kept his foot in, Sutton would have turned himself around the front of the BMW, Jake and Sutton would have ended up DNF with damage....so he eased out of it

Two very different situations
And Jake Hill is renowned for a balanced outlook and never sulks or throws tantrums
Old 3 Aug 2022, 10:46 (Ref:4121664)   #172
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And to be fair Hill didn't take advantage of that nudge up the rear, so there's that
Old 3 Aug 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4121679)   #173
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And to be fair Hill didn't take advantage of that nudge up the rear, so there's that
If he had, there would have been a penalty.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 16:16 (Ref:4121702)   #174
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
Totally agree.I sense ITV may be losing interest.
Yes, because promoting a championship that has only been on ITV4 for a decade to the main channel FOUR times this season definitely demonstrates a lack of interest ?

Quote:

Which I agree, is noticeable and a bit annoying, especially at the expense of a support race / highlights. But then of course, it's on ITV.
One of those was Oulton Park, where they showed EVERY race. It is the curfew there that caused the late start.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4121703)   #175
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cynic in me would say take a look at what's normally on ITV during Saturday afternoon, and it's typical audience figures, and it's not exactly a huge loss.

This weekend for example is more motorsport (Moto GP), You've Been Framed and the 45,346th repeat of an old Bond film.