Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2023, 21:14 (Ref:4170312)   #101
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, and you WERE cool with your car and then that decision??

I saw about 5 min on TNT or one of those networks and heard 37k upshifts and my head hurt

And no, neither of the per person sales numbers were great. It barely did 52M worldwide so not many did regardless of country
Old 28 Jul 2023, 21:26 (Ref:4170314)   #102
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There were four of us. That’s what probably tipped those number in favor of the UK.

Afterwards we got drunk.
Old 28 Jul 2023, 22:04 (Ref:4170319)   #103
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well it appears this will now just be a speculative how bad could it be thread, movie is DONE and dusted. They say for now as there's no new material written and they've run out of prescheduled shots and things that don't require actors. There were allowances of shots and set pieces done and arranged prior to strike be allowed but that's all used up.

Chances of movie coming back after this strikex2 works through, especially as this is one of the projects the strike would massively change?? Zero,
And yet, filming of the movie continues at Spa this weekend?.....
Old 31 Jul 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4170812)   #104
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well Hollywood Reporter and others have added that production to the shutdown not exempted list so what they were shooting who knows but if anyone involved has a SAG card or any dialogue and that production team is DONE and will be out of Hollywood quick

It gets reported on often here in Georgia as we give movies billions to make "money losers" that would supposedly not be made otherwise and TV/movie folks get to claim they're helping the economy. Interesting cause you get to see how flat and one dimensional most sets are and decent number of folks around town. But also means every so often you turn a corner in town and everything was blocked for days on end
Old 31 Jul 2023, 16:27 (Ref:4170835)   #105
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And yet, filming of the movie continues at Spa this weekend?.....

I think I read somewhere that the producers of the film were sympathetic to the strike action and had made some form of agreement that they would continue filming at outside locations that had already been booked.
Old 31 Jul 2023, 18:32 (Ref:4170855)   #106
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It looks like while he was wanting to complete some existing booked filming, he was getting some grief in Hollywood. So the plug was pulled until the strike has been resolved.

PS: I wanted to do a quick comment on something. I had asked Admins to change my Username to be a bit more incognito. So that has been done, but it is still me (see join date, post counts, any PMs you might have with me, etc.).

Richard
Old 1 Aug 2023, 08:17 (Ref:4170893)   #107
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post

PS: I wanted to do a quick comment on something. I had asked Admins to change my Username to be a bit more incognito. So that has been done, but it is still me (see join date, post counts, any PMs you might have with me, etc.).

Richard
Well, the request you made finally made me realise that you're not related to Fidel as I had always misread it!
Old 1 Aug 2023, 11:43 (Ref:4170918)   #108
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, the request you made finally made me realise that you're not related to Fidel as I had always misread it!
Believe me, it happens all the time.

Richard
Old 3 Aug 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4171217)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Always in the "air"…
Old 7 Jul 2024, 16:50 (Ref:4218099)   #110
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A bit amusing seeing Pitt walking around in the background in full kit pretending to be a driver but I guess that’s movie magic!

Looks like they are going to call it ‘F1’ and here is the first trailer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZGY2CWPXeU
Old 7 Jul 2024, 17:45 (Ref:4218116)   #111
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes they showed that on C4 during the coverage, not sure any film about motor racing really works unless there is a background story to fit the action around. I think Le mans 66(ford v ferarri) managaged that but most fail to hold together TBH
Old 7 Jul 2024, 18:18 (Ref:4218140)   #112
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just remember (and keep repeating it):

This Brad Pitt F1 film is not being made for us. It's being made for the DTS generation, and it'll be consumed heavily without critique.

Meanwhile, those of us who've been enthusiasts since the 60s/70s/80s/90s can all meet up for a whinge once we've watched it. Hell, maybe we should arrange a private showing somewhere so we can all moan in real time!
Old 8 Jul 2024, 12:43 (Ref:4218274)   #113
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Just remember (and keep repeating it):
Its just a movie, a couple of hours entertainment for a boring non race weekend. Its makey up fun just like jack and the wiizard of oz or the Cars animations. Just aimed at slightly older people - who arent annoraks. Its not aa hard hitting expose documentary... even DTS isnt trying to be that.

All those people who will point out "They dont even look like real f1s" "in real life that wwouldnt happen" this is trash. Well in real life 100s of mf-ing snakes dont swarm all over mf-ing planes. Stop being a killjoy and take it for what it it.. an excuse to eat pop corn - and spend some time sharing f1 with loved ones .
Old 8 Jul 2024, 12:54 (Ref:4218275)   #114
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I expect it will be as silly as a lot of the other motorsport movies that have come before.

The usual tropes;

- haggard old timer needs to retire
- young rookie needs to prove his worth
- press the accelerator harder to pass a load of cars just when it seems all hope is lost
- a driver gets injured in spectacular accident causing the main character to go into an existential dilemma.
- drawing new car ideas on the back of napkins

All of this will be in there I guarantee!!

I actually didn’t mind Rush, it was ok, one of the better efforts to capture motorsport drama.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:04 (Ref:4218276)   #115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t hold out high hopes for this movie. The plot sounds rehashed. There’s not a lot new it seems. Just seems a racing movie with not much thought put into it

I’ve seen better racing movies than what appears here
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:13 (Ref:4218281)   #116
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I expect it will be as silly as a lot of the other motorsport movies that have come before.

The usual tropes;

- haggard old timer needs to retire
- young rookie needs to prove his worth
- press the accelerator harder to pass a load of cars just when it seems all hope is lost
- a driver gets injured in spectacular accident causing the main character to go into an existential dilemma.
- drawing new car ideas on the back of napkins

All of this will be in there I guarantee!!

I actually didn’t mind Rush, it was ok, one of the better efforts to capture motorsport drama.
Agree.

An alternate plot path could have focused on teams in which the rich owner dies leaving internal political battles for control. Mix in some in appropriate sexual behavior with subordinates to clearly paint someone as the bad guy. Thrown in some various driver conflicts so they can stare menacingly at each other on the grid before the race. And if you really want to be politically incorrect, throw in some nationalistic generalizations about specific non-UK centric teams being clowns, etc. But then that might match reality too closely and F1 might not support that type of plotline. Better to just use the existing motorsport tropes. Just downshift and give it more throttle!!

Richard
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4218282)   #117
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not that we see much plot from the trailer but an old guy winning the race yesterday adds some credibility to Pitts character so that’s all right lol.

Thought the cars looked quite narrow tho. Could just be the camera angle?

Regardless, will aim to see this in the theatre. Given who is involved, I think it’s going to look great on a big screen.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:29 (Ref:4218284)   #118
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I actually think the 2008 spygate saga would be a great backdrop for a F1 film, mix in elements of the crashgate scandal and there is your movie. You have track battles, court room battles, pit lane battles.

The problem is I doubt very much that FOM would want to promote that in a feature film.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:36 (Ref:4218286)   #119
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The pressing accelerater peddle even harder is the quivalent of turning up to 11 on the best rock music film of all times. If a driver is not flat to the floor on the straights, in modern times of telematry feed direct to the team, he would soon be out of a job
Old 8 Jul 2024, 13:54 (Ref:4218287)   #120
Richard C
Veteran

Spygate (and other F1 drama) would make a good film, but as you say they wouldn't get official support for plotlines that speak to dirty laundry.

I expect this film will be F1 version of "Top Gun". A predictable plotline with a maverick protagonist (see what I did there ) set in a potentially (if handled well) exciting visual and high paced environment.

Richard
Old 8 Jul 2024, 14:46 (Ref:4218293)   #121
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Lets give it a chance, not many films worth watching at the moment so this has got to be better than the dribble currently on
Old 8 Jul 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4218295)   #122
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Lets give it a chance, not many films worth watching at the moment so this has got to be better than the dribble currently on
Absolutely. My comments above about "Top Gun" is not a negative. I think that would make the most sense commercially and it could be done in a way that may still find existing F1 fans giving it a thumbs up. While I love racing movies like Grand Prix or Le Mans, I don't see movies like that being commercially viable these days.

Richard
Old 8 Jul 2024, 15:47 (Ref:4218298)   #123
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Just watched the trailer. Cinematography looks pretty, a few new angles off cars is about as much success as a Motorsport movie can have. E.g. Gran Turismo movie.

Hopefully the Daytona stuff isn't too short in the film. It would be a little bummer if the movie only opens on Bradley Pitts spending F1 retirement in IMSA for 30 seconds.

As for non tropey story lines, how about a Tarantino version of the 2021 championship battle, titled simply "AD21"? The movie opens with quick shots of Toto reaction shots, "Micheal that is so not right" played over the cheering crowd, slow mo of latifi backing it into the wall, etc. Then we go back to beginning of season and follow the story from GB's perspective lol
Old 8 Jul 2024, 16:36 (Ref:4218301)   #124
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yeah i thought the race footage looked good. thought maybe the cars looked a bit narrow but that could have been the result of the screen i was watching it on?

the Top Gun reference is very apt as this movie will have the same director as the last Top Gun movie plus Jerry Bruckheimer who produced both of the Top Gun movies. cinematographer im not sure about.

if its about capturing speed and high speed movement, then surely that is a winning combination for a racing movie?
Old 8 Jul 2024, 16:50 (Ref:4218302)   #125
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I also enjoyed Rush but that was because it was generally based on fact.
Niki did nearly die. He did heroically come back sooner than he probably should have. The championship was decided on the result of the last race of the year in japan in monsoon conditions.
It couldn't have been scripted better.