Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2001, 20:32 (Ref:78213)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

I apologise if this idea has already been raised on 10 Tenths, but lack of Internet time this week has prevented me from reading all the Barrichello topics.

This is the solution I propose to the problem of Barrichello's dodgy overtaking: superlicence probation. I stated on Sunday after he rammed Ralf off the track that it shouldn't be one rule for Raikkonen, a very mature rookie, and Barrichello, a so-called experienced driver who is driving like a rookie. So I suggest that the FIA put Barrichello on superlicence probation for three races. They monitor his driving closely and if he rams anyone again he gets a two-race ban/his superlicence confiscated. I think this is quite fair, because it allows him the chance to prove himself.

Bear in mind that this is what should happen - I know it won't happen because of the FIA's bias towards Ferrari.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 20:40 (Ref:78215)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This of course will apply equally to TGF, should he attempt yet again to ram someone off the track (Jensen Butthead notwithstanding)? And of course to Jacques, who makes over-optimistic passing maneuvers fairly frequently? Or is this another vote for Pick on Rubens Week?
Old 6 Apr 2001, 21:12 (Ref:78229)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Has Villeneuve made over-optimistic passing manoeuvres every race this season?

And of course superlicence probation should apply to any driver who does something as stupid as Barrichello has been doing this year. It's just a matter of if they do it. TGF hasn't done anything wrong this year, and Barrichello is the guy who keeps running into people. Therefore he should be punished.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 22:05 (Ref:78243)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Steph on this one.

It isn't the fact that Rubens knocked someone off the track at Interlagos - it's the fact that he has done the same thing in the two previous races.

Ban him until he has learnt how to drive.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 23:09 (Ref:78273)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes, ban drivers every time they make an over optimistic move. Well actually, no Williams have been knocked out this year because of over-optimistic moves, they have been knocked out because of simple mistakes.

Jacques, Jos and Rubens were all following closely behind Williams, and in each case the Williams slowed before they expected it to. Whether they were in the braking zone or not is not even really the question. They were simple mistakes and should be treated as such.

What good will a race ban do?????? What is this supposed to make Rubens thing? "I will not misjudge my braking point next time" or "beware of the Williams".

It is like punishing someone for tripping and falling.

PS After looking at the replay of the Ralph-Barichello crah at Interlagos, I must say that Ralf should share some of the blame. He veered right across the track into Barichello's line right before the braking zone, similar to the Michael's crash with Fissichella last year at Hockenheim. Rubens is still to blame, but Ralph should know better. get the replay at http://www.f-1.ru/video/index_e.html
Old 7 Apr 2001, 02:09 (Ref:78309)   #6
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay,

You and I both know - Ralf moved to the right a good while before Barrichelo rammed into him. Trulli was moving left right and centre trying to block the Williams ( so much for not veering all over the track ) - Ralf was on the inside when Trulli once again blocked him at which point he moved to the outside and Barrichelo had a good long look at the Williams before ramming into him. I cant see how you can blame Schumacher for that one. Barrichelo was half asleep - he didnt brake, he didnt even try to avoid the Williams. He just rammed straight into him.

A ban sounds good for Barrichelo. But when he loses his race seat later this year, that should be punishment enough.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 07:28 (Ref:78331)   #7
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RB was something like a quarter of second faster than anybody else in the first sector, he was a man possesed !

A most intresting development at Fiorano, Luca Badoer has been doing quite a few practice starts 10 in last years car and 3 in TGF's current car all on Friday.
It probably doesn't mean a thing and they were just testing the TC on starts or something ,but why did Luca Badoer also test in TGF's car when he was there testing it himself ?
Old 7 Apr 2001, 09:19 (Ref:78338)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
These are racing incidents. However, I am concerned at the sudden regularity of Rubens's mistakes, and I proposed a one race ban suspended for 3 races. What do you guys think of this idea. This should make him drive with more care, and is not a harsh treatment by any means.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 10:57 (Ref:78348)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Oh yes, ban drivers every time they make an over optimistic move.
No, not every time they make an over-optimistic move...just when they start doing it every race. That becomes a cause for concern. Look at Barrichello - one race was just an accident, two races was getting daft, three races is just plain ridiculous. If there's no punishment then he'll think he can keep driving the way he does.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 11:36 (Ref:78358)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
These are racing incidents. However, I am concerned at the sudden regularity of Rubens's mistakes, and I proposed a one race ban suspended for 3 races. What do you guys think of this idea. This should make him drive with more care, and is not a harsh treatment by any means.
I agree VB, he should'nt get an immediate race ban, but a suspended sentance would surely keep him out of trouble for a few races. It would also get Ferrari's attention (ban the car as well), and they can settle their 1a boy down a bit (or replace him with a driver, not a crasher).
Old 7 Apr 2001, 12:13 (Ref:78365)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Glad you agree WREX. BTW, about that other thread, I just tried the ignore function and it really works.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 12:15 (Ref:78367)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA won't do it, because they should have done the same to Schumacher the Elder on at least three occassions. Instead they gave him the WDC.

Rubens you have obviously learned from this shining example of fairplay! Why should you be treated any different.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 12:18 (Ref:78369)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
G'day AM, up to your usual stirring again? I think Ralf's Girl has woken up to you too.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 21:10 (Ref:78454)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay

What good will a race ban do??????
It will show the world what Tristan, Badoer fan and I knew long ago - that Luca Badoer is a criminally under-rated F1 driver.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 22:59 (Ref:78484)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I meant for Barichello... I think Barichello made a mistake, and I can't see what good any punishment is going to do.
Old 7 Apr 2001, 23:07 (Ref:78486)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Jay, I knew exactly what you meant!

Old 7 Apr 2001, 23:41 (Ref:78506)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...but if he gets banned for a race (did I say "IF"?? Dunno why, he's not gonna!!) that would leave the door open for Ferrari to correct its injustice of 99 (ie Salo) and put YOU KNOW WHO, Minardi fan, in the Ferrari for a race at least!!!! YAY!!
Old 8 Apr 2001, 00:13 (Ref:78510)   #18
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, "probation" has been used quite frequently in CART, for instances of over optimistic or aggressive driving. Rubens should have been given a ban, but now they could at least threaten him for Imola. As long as he thinks he did nothing wrong, his behavior is not likely to change, he'll still drive poorly trying to keep pace with Schuey.
You know, it wasn't until recently that I found out what TGF meant. I always thought it was Tres Grand Fromage!!, or loosely translated as "the big cheese"!! Close enough, I guess! Rubens could be TLC, the little cheese!!
Old 8 Apr 2001, 01:59 (Ref:78522)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Moffat on this. And if we banned and stuck on probation pilots for this kind of thing, Senna would have been on probation or banned almost his entire career. ("But," he said opening his eyes wide, "I am Senna....")

In fact, if i were the FIA and I wanted to get the attention of the racing fraternity, I'd ban TGF for the next bit of dangerous driving he did, thus proving that NO ONE IS EXEMPT from the rules.

However, i don't plan to hold my breath until that happens.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 02:12 (Ref:78525)   #20
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Naturally.

'Coz there isent going to be any dangerous driving from Schumy.There is a difference b/w aggressive driving(Schumy) and stupid driving(Rubens).Driving within your own capability is what is required by people such as Rubens Barrichelo.He will never be the next Senna or Schumacher.The sooner he realizes that the better.But my guess is it will not happen anytime soon.So its ta ta Rubens and Hello Luca(I Hope) in 2002.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 04:53 (Ref:78548)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Liz, when was the last time TGF pulled a dangerous move? Arguably the French GP last year, but other than that all I can remember was Jerez 97.
Old 8 Apr 2001, 20:56 (Ref:78710)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jerez?? Dirty, yes. Dumb, yes. DANGEROUS?? Now you are kidding, right??
Old 9 Apr 2001, 07:12 (Ref:78826)   #23
Rha
Rookie

Rha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, looking at the replay of the move in Interlagos it seems like Rubens didn't brake or turn at all, he wents right on Ralf's back, so it's clear that's is not the kind of reactions expected from an F1 driver, it seems like RB has a lot of preasure at the moment at that's all, hes not in his foots. But wow! how can he blames Ralf for that one, even if Ralf brake early bcause the blocking from Trulli this is not a reason. Instead of breaking he accelerate aproching a corner with several cars in it, so what's he expected to overtake 4 cars on the same move......It is true that if Kimi ou Tarso ou Gaston has donne this kind of agresions on the track they will not be in F1 for long....
Good luck RB