Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Dec 2003, 04:04 (Ref:809783)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Newman Hass 3rd driver?

According to http://www.champweb.net/silly/index.htm

"New information is coming in that Newman Haas Racing is still looking at adding a 3rd car to its stable. The driver they are looking at is attempting to get out of his contract, of which he just signed."

Now this has been up for several days, but I am curious what everyone elses ideas for who this driver might be who is attemtping to get out of a contract in which he just signed.

Darren Manning anybody? I'm sure Ganassi would pay more, but still if Newman Hass were offering a decent salary, maybe he'd want to take it, as he'd like the racing more, and feel safer racing in CART.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 04:40 (Ref:809798)   #2
rookie
Rookie

rookie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this rumor is history but i still think that its Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 05:29 (Ref:809816)   #3
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Hunter-Reay is the freshest rumor that comes to mind, but Manning coming back would be pretty sweet.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 05:57 (Ref:809822)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be Manning, but the name Dario Franchitti is always being rumoured.

Don't you just love silly season!
Old 12 Dec 2003, 06:02 (Ref:809824)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Either manning or dario speedwagon. Far as I know RHR has not been signed anywhere.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 07:23 (Ref:809844)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning?
it would be very unprofessional of him, if he did such a switch after having tested for Ganasii; I'm certin He won't do that.
Hunter-Ray is unquiestionably a better option.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 09:46 (Ref:809933)   #7
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but the rumour states it is a driver who is already in a contract that he is trying to get out of. RHR is not currently under contract that we know of at least. Not mention the rumour states that the driver has just signed the contract that he is trying to get out of.

Last edited by jjspierx; 12 Dec 2003 at 09:47.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 09:50 (Ref:809937)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps it's a driver who signed a sponsorship-dependant contract, but the team now can't get sponsorship? Or signed for a team who's future is in doubt? Maybe Hunter-Reay did sign a cotnract for ASTJ, whcih wasn't technically dissolved when the team folded? Montiero? Wirdheim (escaping a contract for Patrick)? Even Lavin?

Franchitti and Manning are optimistic guesses, neither of them have any reason to leave their current contracts.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 10:31 (Ref:809982)   #9
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All signs point to Franchitti, but that's even if the rumor is anywhere near credible, given its source. N/H has been rumored to be interested in Franchitti before, and if they really wanted Manning they would have probably tested him for Bourdais' seat a year ago (you know N/H is one of those professional teams that actually hire drivers based on merit instead of bank account size). I would think RHR's contract with ASTJ disappeared along with the team. Wirdheim hasn't officially signed anything with Patrick yet, so those two are unlikely. It will be a sad day when even N/H has to resort to the depths of selling rides to Monteiro and Lavin, but hey, maybe they want people to apperciate Crashtian Fittipaldi that much more.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:32 (Ref:810214)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
From that snippet, I would have thought it was Franchitti. If you have Junqueira, Bourdais and Franchitti and you STILL lose the championship, you have questions to answer.

Unless, of course, Paul Tracy hankers after a return to Newman-Haas..?
Old 12 Dec 2003, 16:15 (Ref:810334)   #11
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Franchitti "just sign"? I know he said he was "eager to return" to Andreti racing, but I don't remember if he was returning or just resigned.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 16:20 (Ref:810339)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti was 'returning' i believe so hope is there that our ItaloScot will come back and race the real races, of ocurse Manning would be a treat, really like him on camera good bloke, good attitude
Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:15 (Ref:810394)   #13
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti re-upped with Andretti-Green Racing. He isn't going anywhere. Honda is paying him $5.5M (rumor) to win the championship. (Even more than Player's gave Tracy!)
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=2135

ASTJ is liquidated. Nick Hunter-Reay doesn't belive there is anything binding.

The idea of Ryan Hunter-Reay moving to NHR, bringing some funding (thanks daddy), seems logical enough. It would offset the $2M TAP that NHR wont get next year.

Somehow I think the scenario of two NHR cars in CART for Bourdais and Hunter-Reay, with a Toyota backed IRL effort for Junqueira (sans Newman) seems to fit the resources available, the testing schedule and the finacial requirements. If I had to bet that is what I'd bet on.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 18:12 (Ref:810446)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that certainly isn't what Junqueira is betting on...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Dec 2003, 23:41 (Ref:810644)   #15
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last week, his deal seemed "assured"
Now, it turns out, his deal isn't happening
He's stated he wanted to race in america during his (reluctant) "year off" (he actually named NASCAR, but nothing has come of it so far....
This is probably such a laughable suggestion, but I haven't got any better Ideas!

Colin Mcrae?

Ok...pick yourselves up off the floor and carry on with the thread!
Old 13 Dec 2003, 01:42 (Ref:810686)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't give much credibility to this rumour, but I hope it is right. My first thought was that they were implying Dario. I fail to see why not testing Manning last year would have anything to do with NH possibly being interested in him this year. Manning proved himself quiet capable. Bourdais had an amazing start to the season, but in the second half it would be difficult to say that Bourdais was better than Manning.