Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should F1 privateers make a comeback?
Yes! plus Transit vans and trailers 59 89.39%
No! Let Bernie play with his friends 7 10.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Dec 2003, 15:54 (Ref:810314)   #101
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't see why teams shouldn't be allowed to just enter,r unning other people's cars, without having to pay the bond. It's their risk to come in, and does it damage F1 when some of them go bankrupt? No, it jsut emphasises the professionalism and development of F1 teams.

And having some of the less-able ones at the back was always quite amusing - F1 Rejects is more popular than most other F1 sites which aren't news- or specific driver/team-related.

I don't know why a team which isn't designing its own car can't be 'serious', as Bluesman puts it - presumably you don't respect any of the CART/IRL/NASCAR/F3000 teams?
for a start never presume/assume anything ok
if you want to watch a series where teams by off the shelf components, chassis included go watch cart, irl, f3000 and such. To say I don't respect any of those series is complete and utter hogwash! What I meant by serious I have no idea, I quite probably was typing something else and forgot to delete it my mistake. And as for everything else you have written I agree with, I disagree with the transit vans and trailers in the choices for voting. F1 should never be that again imo
Old 12 Dec 2003, 20:44 (Ref:810527)   #102
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

jamescrofts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke to a chap who worked for the March F1 team 1970-74; he is all for the return of Transits and trailers. After all it is the cars we want to see! Converted buses as well!
Old 13 Dec 2003, 06:30 (Ref:810776)   #103
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We want to see trailers? We do? Why? :confused:
Old 13 Dec 2003, 16:49 (Ref:811020)   #104
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Yes, it is plain truth. There were no "too" good drivers who never got a chance. I'm sure that a Montoya demanding a pay is worth more than a Diniz paying for his drive.
So are you honestly saying that all the best drivers there have ever been have all had a fair crack at F1? You don't think that anyone has ever slipped through the net? You ust have an awful lot of faith in the F1 team managers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
F1 is not the place to prove yourself. You need to prove your worth elsewhere.
I agree. But some people do that and still don't get a chance (and vice versa). Thank goodness there are other formulas so that good drivers can prove how capable they are even without F1.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 20:57 (Ref:811190)   #105
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

Why not have "WILDCARDS" who just do one race; like they do on MotoGP and WSBikes? Justin Wilson in a Jonathon Palmer Jaguar at the British GP? Jamie Green in a "555" BAR?

Bring back variety!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 07:07 (Ref:811411)   #106
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Krt, no, I did not imply that F1 has the ultimate best 20 drivers currently able to handle the steering wheel. Best 10 (or so) yes. As for the other 10 (or so), well, obviously they're pretty much equal to other 200 left outside. If a personal sponsor can help a teammanager to make his mind, then obviously the other drivers don't display the necessary amount of genius to overcome this. Besides, F1 is NOT about drivers. F1 is more than just drivers. A teamboss hires the driver who can help the team best. And Montoya would help Minardi very little, an average driver able to financially support the team for a while is better.

Obviously, you can spot a great talent and get him in the team. Even if it won't get instant results, you can always make a deal a la Peter Sauber and Kimi.

I don't really agree with you second paragraph either. We've witnessed good CART drivers (no-no, don't be nasty! Andretti I mean) who were absolute dissasters in F1. Being great in other forms of Motorsport doesn't guarantee success in F1. And vice versa.

---------------

James, we have lots of variety. Even at a F1 GP. You are able to see in the same GP weekend, F3000, Formula Porsche, etc. Why do you insist to call all this variety "Formula 1"?
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:47 (Ref:812986)   #107
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Krt, no, I did not imply that F1 has the ultimate best 20 drivers currently able to handle the steering wheel. Best 10 (or so) yes. As for the other 10 (or so), well, obviously they're pretty much equal to other 200 left outside. If a personal sponsor can help a teammanager to make his mind, then obviously the other drivers don't display the necessary amount of genius to overcome this. Besides, F1 is NOT about drivers. F1 is more than just drivers. A teamboss hires the driver who can help the team best. And Montoya would help Minardi very little, an average driver able to financially support the team for a while is better.
Fair enough, the answer was 'no' then! You agree with my point that not all the best drivers in the world are in F1 at any given moment in time, and one of the reasons is the financial situation to which you refer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
I don't really agree with you second paragraph either. We've witnessed good CART drivers (no-no, don't be nasty! Andretti I mean) who were absolute dissasters in F1. Being great in other forms of Motorsport doesn't guarantee success in F1. And vice versa..
I agree. My point is that some of the drivers who miss out on F1, for the reasons above, can go and show that they are good drivers in other categories, though - as you say - that doesn't mean that they would be great in F1 (just that they should have had a chance). F1 hasn't always been the be-all and end-all, and some would argue it still isn't.

As for CART, Andretti and Zanardi didn't show their potential for whatever reason. And Jacques wasn't too bad when he came over....

---------------
Old 19 Dec 2003, 01:19 (Ref:815690)   #108
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

I met Peter Gaydon at the recent F3/GT launch on Wednesday night. Who is Peter Gaydon? He used to arrange entries for the privateers by-passing Bernie and friends to get these guys racing. We need another Peter Gaydon.

James
Old 23 Dec 2003, 05:11 (Ref:818685)   #109
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

Will F1 die without the return of the "privateers"? Why can't the 3rd cars on that run on Friday? I read in Autosport that you even have to find sponsorship just to do that! Must be very frustrating if you are faster than the 2nd driver! Another thing that is wrong with F1!
Old 23 Dec 2003, 15:12 (Ref:819060)   #110
jamescrofts
Retired
Racer

So far 88% have voted "YES" on this issue. Do we tell Bernie to take note and give thw public a real Grand Prix series?
Old 23 Dec 2003, 17:37 (Ref:819188)   #111
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You've made your point now, and a lot of it is true, although bits of it don't make sense or overlook some (sad) facts about cost and exclusivity. However, flooding a thread with a succession of one-track posts is not good etiquette, so can we please have a bit less of it. Maybe everyone else has said their piece.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 21:51 (Ref:819421)   #112
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jamescrofts
Why not have "WILDCARDS" who just do one race; like they do on MotoGP and WSBikes? Justin Wilson in a Jonathon Palmer Jaguar at the British GP? Jamie Green in a "555" BAR?

Bring back variety!

Wildcards are a good idea actually. The best way of doing this would be to have the team's test drivers take part in a 3rd car at their home race. Gene and de la Rosa at Barcelona, Badoer at Imola and Monza, Burti at Interlagos etc.

But I fear that the teams would just use them as blockers.