Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:44 (Ref:856587)   #1
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TG: Odds of Haas Fielding Car @500 - 30%

George put the odds of CART team owner Carl Haas fielding a car in this year's Indy 500 at 30 percent. George doesn't expect CART runner-up Bruno Junqueira to be the driver if it happens.

Poor ole TiG, just can't win cause evertything isn't for sale at the right price

Some goood reading here folks

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/116119-1603-037.html

Last edited by SurfaceUnits; 30 Jan 2004 at 16:46.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:58 (Ref:856604)   #2
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When can we buy TG out? How just would that be?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:05 (Ref:856613)   #3
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think TG would ever let himself be bought out. I think the best we can hope for, is for OWRS to start making money a few years down the road, and get TG interested in a merger, or unification that will make him more money, as well attract more teams, drivers, fans, sponsors and money to open-wheel racing. Of course I am only for unification if the resulting series is at LEAST half road/street courses.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:21 (Ref:856639)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
Of course I am only for unification if the resulting series is at LEAST half road/street courses.
As long as they keep Fundidora Park and Miami off the schedule, I could live with that
Old 30 Jan 2004, 17:23 (Ref:856642)   #5
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:856955)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a question:

What are the odds on Derrick Walker staying in OWRS????

Why do I ask???

On Wednesday, the day in court, Walker (a member of the CART Creditor Committee) was at Homestead "observing" IRL testing...

Curt Cavin wrote in a Thursday article from Homestead (on the reaction of race teams to the court decision)the following:

"One of the teams expected to remain on the OWRS is Walker Racing. But team owner Derrick Walker said he is closer to moving back to the IRL in 2004."

His quotes about the decision dealt with the fact that many people would have been unemployed if OWRS would not have won...and that it was a good decision for the business climate and the employement picture in Indianapolis...

Not a word about ""Now we can go racing...or now we have a new direction and new leadership...or It's time to get ready for Long Beach...."

Wonder if there's something to it, or if he is just yanking Curt Cavin's chain?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 22:36 (Ref:856968)   #7
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Neptune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
As long as they keep Fundidora Park and Miami off the schedule, I could live with that
I compared Miami to being less than the 1-1/2 mile long Waterford Hills course near Detroit and shortly before the 1st Miami race, I had hustled my 40 year old 1000cc Formula Jr around WH in 1:18 and the Champcars were just under 1:10 at Miami. The 1600cc Formula B car that won our race was at 1:14 for the longer WH course. That's racing?????

Champcars at Miami is like running a horse race in your dining room! There may be lotsa money there and if there is, then they ought to be able to find a more open space for the race. Just think of all those old Miami Vice shows and the high speed chase scenes.

There has got to be on-track passing for it to count as a race, doncha think.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 02:37 (Ref:857128)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walker Racing will remain in Champ Cars. Tony George can't even buy Dale Coyne. He doesn't have the right currency. We do.

Maybe TG can buy Formula One. I'm sure Bernie would sell if he made an ofer of 5 cents on the dollar.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:34 (Ref:857201)   #9
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of N-H, whatever happened to that test they were supposed to do at Laguna this week? Remember they supposedly rented the track for a test and invited other team to participate...PK was going to go, then changed their plans (Sebring this week or next).

Just curious.

Last edited by MLM; 31 Jan 2004 at 04:35.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 08:37 (Ref:857309)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have moved this thread as it involves the Indy 500 and Tony George, two subjects that have nothing to do with OWRS/ChampCars.

I will also remind certain members that it would be wise not to bash the series and/or owner in this thread.

Ben
Old 31 Jan 2004, 11:40 (Ref:857461)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thanks F1 manoz for moving the thread.

Im gonna re-open it up to people and ask if Bruno isnt going to be the driver in this 30% chance then who will be ????
Old 31 Jan 2004, 14:29 (Ref:857601)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al Junior, if the Patrick effort doesn't happen? Fisher? Giaffone?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 15:21 (Ref:857659)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd pay to see the reactions on the faces of Liz and Surface units, if they knew they were moved to this forum!

I'd like to see Giaffone get the ride, because its a shame he didn't get a full-time ride this season.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:857706)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I'd pay to see the reactions on the faces of Liz and Surface units, if they knew they were moved to this forum!

I'd like to see Giaffone get the ride, because its a shame he didn't get a full-time ride this season.
Mo Nunn is still talking to Giaffone as well, but since he lost Hollywood the sponsor issue is the main hurdle for him to continue to drive for them.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:40 (Ref:858183)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read an article on www.crash.net, that makes it seem as though Junquiero is seriously contemplating a move to the IRL, even after the court has awarded OWRS the right to continue the series.

It goes on to say that Bruno and his crew chief were seen at the Homestead Speedway during the first IRL time-trials.
Bruno stated that he must talk to his team, to see what there plan would be.

I found this to be rather surprising news, especially that he was still thinking about making the move after the court decision.

What are the chances?

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:53 (Ref:858200)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Read an article on www.crash.net, that makes it seem as though Junquiero is seriously contemplating a move to the IRL, even after the court has awarded OWRS the right to continue the series.

It goes on to say that Bruno and his crew chief were seen at the Homestead Speedway during the first IRL time-trials.
Bruno stated that he must talk to his team, to see what there plan would be.

I found this to be rather surprising news, especially that he was still thinking about making the move after the court decision.

What are the chances?
Sounds odd - everything I've read about Junqueira in the past has indicated that he very much would like to remain in Champ Cars.

Could be that the article was done before the final verdict was announced (regarding the OWRS mess), hence him being unsure about what his team would do etc.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 22:54 (Ref:858205)   #17
MLM
Veteran

That's what I found puzzling...they were supposed to be testing at Laguna this week and yet, B. AND Peter Gibbons (THE chief engineer at N-H) were at Homestead.
I don't know...I'm just as puzzled and perplexed as you.

But, I can tell you one thing...IF that team would go over to the IRL and/or Indy, they will be excoriated by the hard core CART/OWRSisans.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:04 (Ref:858220)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
That at least Haas has been wanting to go to Indy is no secret though - didn't they even test an IRL car at Phoenix late last year?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:13 (Ref:858239)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, Bruno drove it. Dallara/Toyota package, I think it was.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:23 (Ref:858258)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM

But, I can tell you one thing...IF that team would go over to the IRL and/or Indy, they will be excoriated by the hard core CART/OWRSisans.

Well, it would finally take the heat off of Michael Andretti, and give them someone else to beat on for awhile!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 23:35 (Ref:858273)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Astute observation, MLM. It would be "all-or-nothing" for Haas, and he knows it. He'd likely lose his business partner as well. It's a big decision to make, especially this year when animosities run high.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:06 (Ref:858392)   #22
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Astute observation, MLM. It would be "all-or-nothing" for Haas, and he knows it. He'd likely lose his business partner as well. It's a big decision to make, especially this year when animosities run high.
Thank you, O Grand Poobah!
I wonder how much Toyota would be willing to throw Carl's way (or how much they did dealing for da Matta)?
And would it be worth all risks?

Of course, this could all be moot.

Last edited by MLM; 1 Feb 2004 at 01:09.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 08:15 (Ref:861124)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Yeah, Bruno drove it. Dallara/Toyota package, I think it was.
TWAS a Gforce-toyota package indeed.
from what I know, a main concern for Haas was to become spare dealer for Dallara; since Dallara refused to drop the current dealer to switch to them, they run a Gforce just for a revenge.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 08:47 (Ref:866180)   #24
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Read an article on www.crash.net, that makes it seem as though Junquiero is seriously contemplating a move to the IRL,
He should go, then he would have a chance at a title. Myh reaction was in your post.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:04 (Ref:866385)   #25
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is the IndyCar equivalent ChampCar's constant rumours about Dario Franchitti.