Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Feb 2004, 07:38 (Ref:867827)   #26
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'd probably agree with you on Castroneves. He seems to run on confidence, when he's on it he's good, when he's not it appears he's not interested.
Sap
Old 13 Feb 2004, 21:00 (Ref:873575)   #27
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is for the Greg Ray fans out there. From www.tracksideonline.com comes this report from the Phoenix tests:

"Greg Ray remained the surprise of the day. With only a handful of crewmembers, no track time since Oct., no updated aero mods, only 31 laps today and very little track time yesterday to get a handle on the track, he turned out a speed of 175.867 MPH, good for 6th on the grid. The Access Motorsports team was the second fastest G-Force, third fastest Honda, and fastest Ilmor Honda."

"They have been working mostly on getting there base-line set-ups and balance rather than looking for big numbers, yet they have still come easily"

Not bad, but will that kind of luck hold up in the race?

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Feb 2004, 01:57 (Ref:873787)   #28
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
"...The Access Motorsports team was the second fastest G-Force, third fastest Honda, and fastest Ilmor Honda..."
What does this mean? Are there Honda motors out there that weren't built by Ilmor?
Old 14 Feb 2004, 03:36 (Ref:873813)   #29
Weaver
Rookie

United States
Indy,IN
Weaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a handful of units built by HPD in Cali. When I mean built, I mean disassebled, reassembled and dynoed with a few changes in software. The castings, head work, internals are all from Ilmor, either from Michigan or England. These HPD engines were used in practicts and/or qualifing and only a few tracks. Actually, the HPD engines gave us more problems than the Ilmor units. I'd say 90% of the units we used in races were Ilmor engines. Rahal, Fernandez and Access only had Ilmor units.

Last edited by Weaver; 14 Feb 2004 at 03:36.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 06:21 (Ref:873869)   #30
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like you know a bit about it weaver!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 06:25 (Ref:873874)   #31
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for that, Weaver. Always great to hear from you!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 16:02 (Ref:874193)   #32
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Weaver
There were a handful of units built by HPD in Cali. When I mean built, I mean disassebled, reassembled and dynoed with a few changes in software. The castings, head work, internals are all from Ilmor, either from Michigan or England. These HPD engines were used in practicts and/or qualifing and only a few tracks. Actually, the HPD engines gave us more problems than the Ilmor units. I'd say 90% of the units we used in races were Ilmor engines. Rahal, Fernandez and Access only had Ilmor units.
Heck, I knew all that!

Nice post Weaver, always good to hear from an insider!
Old 15 Feb 2004, 23:56 (Ref:875209)   #33
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the former Mackie Motorsport team, Tomas Scheckter and Mark Taylor will win it