Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Apr 2004, 23:41 (Ref:946160)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice IRL Endorsement From Wheldon!

Just came across this on the IndyCar web-site, and thought it was noteworthy.

Dan Wheldon wants to make one thing perfectly clear. He isn't going anywhere.

"I came over to America in 99, because I thought the way motor racing over there, in comparison to Europe works, is there's alot more opportunity, said Wheldon, a native of England. " I've certainly been graced with a great opportunity with AGR, Honda, driving the Jim Beam car.

"This Leagur is truly amazin. I mean, there is no other championship in the world that you can compete in knowing that 12-15 cars can actually win the race. To win is so, so, difficult, but it makes it so rewarding when you do. I mean, I just love being part of it.

"We have great teams. There are alot of good drivers. We have great engine manufacturers. I just enjoy this League a great deal and look forward to being here for along time. I think now that I have won this race for Honda, it will help me stay here longer"

Very refreshing! Its nice to hear from a driver thats just happy as hell to be in this series, and is not using it as a stepping stone to "something better". Well said!

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Apr 2004, 06:27 (Ref:946326)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously I wouldn't have expected him to bash IRL after his maiden win.
Nevertheless it's a point that if you do well, a series like Indycar can guve you many more guarantees than F1, where if something goes wrong you're outta there in a few races.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:18 (Ref:946540)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here here
hand that feeds you and all
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:52 (Ref:946588)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think peopel will go to the IRL to use it as a stepping stone anyway. If they want to race NASCAR, ARCA and Busch serve that purpose. The routes into ChampCars include F3000, Atlantics and Dallara World Series. And there are so many routes into F1 that you'll need more than just oval prowess to get into it - and had Dixon not previously done CART, he'd've floundered badly at the wheel of that powerful Williams.

Dan clearly believes in the US racing scene, and I'd like to see him get mroe coverage in Europe. His success could be the antithesis of the lack of British F1 drivers right now.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 12:51 (Ref:946667)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't think peopel will go to the IRL to use it as a stepping stone anyway. If they want to race NASCAR, ARCA and Busch serve that purpose.
Tony Stewart has done 'reasonably' well after stepping up from IndyCar to NASCAR though

Quote:

The routes into ChampCars include F3000, Atlantics and Dallara World Series. And there are so many routes into F1 that you'll need more than just oval prowess to get into it
Keep in mind that everything points towards road courses being added to the IndyCar schedule for next year.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 13:55 (Ref:946724)   #6
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adding some road races will help diversify the series but it should be no more than 4. Otherwise certain drivers will use the IRL to get into F1 like JV and Montoya did with CART.

With minimal road circuits they will be unable to display their skills for F1.

Last edited by rush1; 21 Apr 2004 at 13:57.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 15:08 (Ref:946768)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Tony Stewart has done 'reasonably' well after stepping up from IndyCar to NASCAR though

Keep in mind that everything points towards road courses being added to the IndyCar schedule for next year.
True about Tony Stewart, but I don't think that can be repeated now, partly because the IRL has more stature in itself, and partly because someone like Tony Stewart would struggle to get a drive now.

As for the second point I agree with rush1 (which might be a first) that there will only be a few road races, so it still won't be an obvious route into F1, because guys in F3000 or ChampCars are racing on road courses week in, week out; for IRL guys It'd still be a rarity.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:23 (Ref:947014)   #8
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True about Tony Stewart, but I don't think that can be repeated now, partly because the IRL has more stature in itself, and partly because someone like Tony Stewart would struggle to get a drive now.

As for the second point I agree with rush1 (which might be a first) that there will only be a few road races, so it still won't be an obvious route into F1, because guys in F3000 or ChampCars are racing on road courses week in, week out; for IRL guys It'd still be a rarity.
Your comments on the IRL have been very positive as of late. You know, we might agree on these issues more than you think
Old 22 Apr 2004, 12:11 (Ref:947782)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Your comments on the IRL have been very positive as of late. You know, we might agree on these issues more than you think
True enough. If Long Beach is typical fo the ChampCar races this year, and some of the recent posts (especially from certain Canadian members (no offence to Canadians in general)) in that forum continue, I might be mroe regular over here.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 23:10 (Ref:948414)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True enough. If Long Beach is typical fo the ChampCar races this year, and some of the recent posts (especially from certain Canadian members (no offence to Canadians in general)) in that forum continue, I might be mroe regular over here.

Man, there are certainly alot of people feeling this way lately!

Cmon over Boots, you'll have alot of company! You can join me, and the ever growing number of disenchanted fans of the other series, and find the "perspective" you've been searching for right here.

Danica Patrick