Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2004, 20:47 (Ref:950381)   #26
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
When Bernie said it moved TV coverage of F1 to a new level he didn't say in which direction. Notice he didn't say 'to a higher level' just "to a new level"...

Last edited by Teretonga; 24 Apr 2004 at 20:48.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:39 (Ref:950447)   #27
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
When Bernie said it moved TV coverage of F1 to a new level he didn't say in which direction. Notice he didn't say 'to a higher level' just "to a new level"...
A new level of total incompetance
Old 24 Apr 2004, 22:51 (Ref:950454)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Today's coverage was ok
Old 24 Apr 2004, 23:06 (Ref:950466)   #29
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it?

It was boring from the dullard, as usual. Martin has his work cut out covering for JA.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 04:35 (Ref:950591)   #30
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHY is race commentary on the radio only available on the digital channel 5 live sports extra?

Now I cant turn the sound of JA off and listen to Legard and Hamilton instead.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 12:32 (Ref:950881)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why are they still plugging that damn "Catch me if you can". They used it for the opening sequence today!

My heart sank when I heard the opening chords (if you can call them that).If I'd had a gun handy, I would have taken my own life.....
Old 25 Apr 2004, 12:50 (Ref:950899)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And did you see how they pretty much ignored the fact that a certain Roland Ratzenberger also died on that horrible weekend in 1994?

Oh no, I beg your pardon, they showed a pin badge of his helmet. That's alright then.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 13:32 (Ref:950961)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
And did you see how they pretty much ignored the fact that a certain Roland Ratzenberger also died on that horrible weekend in 1994?

Oh no, I beg your pardon, they showed a pin badge of his helmet. That's alright then.
I thought they had that about right.

Acknowledged the loss of Roland, but reflected the impact of Ayrton's loss.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 13:43 (Ref:950976)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I find that wrong, frankly.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 13:47 (Ref:950979)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why?

The loss of Ratzenberger and Senna, as people is equal.

But their loss as Formula One drivers, and the impact on the sport and its fans is very different.

The level of coverage given to the anniversary story this weekend is a decision which can be argued.

But as a journalist, if I'd been producing that programme, I'd have made the same decision.

It's not belitting Roland at all.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 13:50 (Ref:950981)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I can see why there is more coverage of Ayrton and i agree with that.

But to give zero reference to Roland? That's my gripe.

I see what you're saying though.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 14:11 (Ref:951026)   #37
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make no mistake this is very bad news
Old 25 Apr 2004, 15:51 (Ref:951152)   #38
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV's coverage started to slide when Martin Brundle stopped demonstrating a lap of the track on the F1 game for the PlayStation.

Last edited by Shoe-maker; 25 Apr 2004 at 15:52.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 15:58 (Ref:951161)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Since it first started then.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 18:50 (Ref:951305)   #40
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GXH
Whats wrong with ITV.. (could be here all day with this 1)

Did anybody see the BBC coverage of the rain soaked London marathon last weekend, it was interactive, you could chose which part of the race you wanted to watch even a highlights screen (sound similar)

So if the BBC can do it with the marathon why can’t ITV use its little red button and give us multi screens 2 choose from, it’s not that hard..
A live screen
A Highlights screen
No commentary screen ( no james allen yahoo)
Different commentary screen ( Ben Edwards maybe ? )
Even a timed delay screen
And of course they could stay with the race even when the main channel has 2 switch over to Coronation Street.

Am I the only one not seeing why ITV can’t do this??

I understand this will only work for digital viewers in the UK but with so many people with sky/cable/freeview etc it’s a hell of a large viewing operation.
As I said if the BBC can do it with a run round the park what is stopping itv when they have millions 2 spend on the program.
Just look at the money they must be saving with there new studio alone
I agree 100% GXH. Like for god sake this is 2004! the technology is there so why not use it. In june we have 2 races back to back the canadian and the us gp,s it is more than likely we will not get live quals dew to the time the sessions are on at (saturday evening primtime) now thats where the interactive service would come into its own it would be best of both worlds quals would be life via interactive and the main channel program schudule would remain the same
Old 25 Apr 2004, 20:17 (Ref:951385)   #41
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked Bernie's quip on the the ITV agreement," commercial agreement wasnt particulairy favorable". And i have to agree with the comment on the opening to the programme, to me it just felt so corny and cheesy but then thats most races.

And the so called studio! It seems so ameteurish, standing around with the mics breaking up. I can only think its to save money! Bring back the real studio.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:09 (Ref:952000)   #42
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
WHY is race commentary on the radio only available on the digital channel 5 live sports extra?

Now I cant turn the sound of JA off and listen to Legard and Hamilton instead.

sometimes they have it on ordinary 5Live, depends on whether there is football on or not then they stick on 5live extra
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:11 (Ref:952005)   #43
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in a way im glad that they have it til 2010 - least theres no worrys then about who is showing it
however gettting rid of JA would be a great start and by investing more into the pre race show would be great

i really dont want to hear Jensons girlfriends attempt at being a singer or any of that stuff
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:27 (Ref:952024)   #44
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing you have never listened to David Hobbs on SpeedChannel ?? He's actually pretty good most of the time.His attempts at French,Italian or Spanish accents need working on though..
He does try to be interesting.
Speed has no coverage in the pits or garage area though,so the actual information given during the race is lacking.

It's nice to have a choice of the ITV or Speed feed. You can switch from one to the other during the ads..
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:46 (Ref:952044)   #45
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
, and it's not their fault Murray Walker retired
I always thought Murray was pushed and didn`t jump
Old 26 Apr 2004, 11:18 (Ref:952063)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why push him, they crave ratings above all else. Murray had a following. Why push him to replace him with Martin?

Murray perhaps left early, but he really didn't want to leave when it was too late.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 11:19 (Ref:952066)   #47
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murray certainly was NOT pushed. In fact having tried to retire once, he was persuaded to return for another season or two (though I don't think it took too much persuasion!).

In the end, I think the attraction of a quieter life, and the opportunity to travel to some of the places he hadn't seen (or maybe some of the places where he only saw a hotel room and a commentary box...) while he was still young enough to enjoy it all was too much to resist.

If I can think like that at 75 I'll be a happy man.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 11:59 (Ref:952112)   #48
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh no not another 6 years of adverts intermittent qualifying coverage sounds like throat slitting time to me :confused: