Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 11 Jul 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2499533)   #226
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Personally I think the use of helecopters for personal travel whoever you are must be the most ungreen thing you could imagine, they fly over my house a lot and its like a vietnam evacuation when the GP is on, good riddance I say, noisy things.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2500858)   #227
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Pomfret View Post
I was sitting at Abbey for the GP at Silverstone and counted 85 parked up helicoptors at one point in the day, where are Donington going to manage a similiar number of machines or are the occupants also going to be herded into buses from elsewhere?
85 helicopters parked at East Midlands Airport won't even make a dent in the normal aircraft parking area. Integrating helo traffic into the normal fixed wing traffic pattern will be a bit of a challenge but it can be done. (Royal Navy air traffic controllers used to do it all the time at Yeovilton and Culdrose Naval Air Stations). Its a myth to think that EMA is incredibly busy, too busy for one days worth of GP aircraft activity to not disrupt things. EMA does have many, many minutes between normal aircraft landings & take offs and therefore has slots for additional traffic. The EMA controllers will have to be fully involved in the planning but I would suggest that its probably far easier and safer to plan air traffic in to and out of a full time commercial airport than it is to have a temporary "airport" & facilities at Silverstone once a year.

I would also hazard a guess that actually far more people will fly in in fixed wing corporate aircraft than helos anyway, because they can! Helos are the most popular form of corporate air transport at Silverstone because it's the only option!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2501601)   #228
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ladies and Gents,

Just a quick note to say that I have sifted through the thread and have kept all of the useful information.

If we could stick to the topic in hand, which is will donington be ready for the GP? And if so how will they cope with the increased traffic on roads, as well as the closure of the airport.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2501602)   #229
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robin. Tell me why the airport has to close during the GP, it doesn't for any other meeting now, and as I said above, EMA is not as busy (by airport standards) as is widely believed.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2501608)   #230
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems busy enough, and for the 2 or more helicopters to film the GP like they currently have at Silverstone you would have to temporarily close the airport for a good 2 hours if not longer.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2501611)   #231
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Robin. Tell me why the airport has to close during the GP, it doesn't for any other meeting now, and as I said above, EMA is not as busy (by airport standards) as is widely believed.
I think the assumption is from one of the earlier statements (from DVLL?) that the Airport could close for the duration of the GP

Take on board the point about not being a busy Airport, but I think the comment was made (earlier in this thread) that due to the increase in traffic around the Circuit/Airport wouldn't this lead to unacceptable delays to the "man in the street & his family" trying to access the Airport, as happens now with any race meetings or events of significance.

I know a lot was said about re-arranging flight times etc around the dates but as was also pointed out, Airlines guard their slots quite jealously and are loath to make changes if it upsets their operational schedules.

Also with the supposed "no go" zone around the circuit for vehicular traffic -how would this fit in with the general public who just want to drive to the Airport, catch their plane and fly away on holiday ?? Can't see them putting up with Airport only routes. Many of the roads will need at be as clear as possible for the fleet of buses bringing spectators in.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2501612)   #232
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Believe me, its not mega busy (I live there and is probably busier through the night than during the day). They use helos for filming at some events already and yet the airport doe not close. They also easily cope with displays by Spitfires, Red Arrows etc & this is achieved by slotting these in between movements. The film helos will have to move in an out to accomodate the fixed wing movements but ATC will be able to cope with that.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2502037)   #233
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I must say there is not that many take offs during the day when I have been up there racing.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2502123)   #234
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Believe me, its not mega busy (I live there and is probably busier through the night than during the day). They use helos for filming at some events already and yet the airport doe not close. They also easily cope with displays by Spitfires, Red Arrows etc & this is achieved by slotting these in between movements. The film helos will have to move in an out to accomodate the fixed wing movements but ATC will be able to cope with that.
Very true, and possibly even fewer demands for daytime slots if the recession continues and people stop flying off on holiday.

There are quite a lot of private flights by light aircraft - presumably some are for training purposes - and a few helicopters but they would be easy to manage for a few days. Busiest seems to be the Air Ambulance - keeps popping in and out. I often wonder what it is doing.

Passenger access to the airport should be manageable on way or another since there are options that don't require use of the main entrance BUT woth the long term parking arrangements as they currently are - both airpport and off airport parking are at the track end, with the off-airport facility being within the park perimeter - there are certainly some things that need to be considered.

Of course the chopper shots of the GP may be restricted by weather conditions anyway. Yet another variable in the mix.

At the WSR events they were easily able to fit in flying displays by a very slow moving bi-plane, each display about taking 10 minutes or so (more if you included its on the ground and take-off time from the airport.) Iirc it flew at least twice a day on both Saturday and Sunday.

I think there is a good chance that the fixed-wing traffic realted to the GP could be a more challenging subject. No doubt people will all want to arrive at the same time. Perhaps there will need to be some sort of lottery (or variable rate landing fees) for different landing and departure times. Bragging rights for those who pay the most for the prime slots.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2502456)   #235
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Earth-moving machines spent the day moving earth!

And you can drive a very large digger thro the tunnel.

And after lots of rain the track did not flood between Mcleans and Coppice.

Tunnel did not flood either.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2502590)   #236
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the original concerns regarding Air craft were the weather data and radio communications.Were there some doubt's as to interference with East Midlands ground/air radio.? Some photos of any work that IS ongoing would be good though.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2502715)   #237
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
I imagine we will get some photos this weekend with F3/GT's there Terry.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2502745)   #238
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really would be handy to see for ourselves.I shall be there next month with Masters,if I get time,I could always taken some shots as a progress up-date.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2502788)   #239
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Would be good if you could as supposedly the main work is starting on August 1st.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2502806)   #240
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Would be good if you could as supposedly the main work is starting on August 1st.
I hope not! We're meant to be racing (Club FF1600) there that day to replace the round cancelled when Coppice / McCleans was flooded....

I'll report back.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2502855)   #241
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Well around then anyway
Old 16 Jul 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2503051)   #242
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I hope not! We're meant to be racing (Club FF1600) there that day to replace the round cancelled when Coppice / McCleans was flooded....

I'll report back.
I think you will find that the majority of the infield will once again be closed off once the MotoGP is out of the way. This will allow the main work to start.

There seem to be track activities booked well into September so presumably the track will have little or no disruption until at least then. Current paddock and pits are not part of the plan other than the hospitality suites (as far as I can tell) and I would imagine it is unlikely that the plan requires those to be pulled down as a first day activity ... but then you never know.

I guess siome mud and snow tyres and rasining the suspension might be a precaution .... but unlikely to improve lap times.

Old 1 Aug 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2513538)   #243
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just arrived back from the Saturday part of the Superleague meeting where FF1600's were due to race this afternoon to replace the round cancelled by the track collapsing by the new tunnel earlier this year.

Guess what?

It rained a little today, wet qualifying but nothing too bad. Nowhere near as bad as last time Then after lunch a couple of heavy showers during which the Superleague and Historic F1 guys stayed firmly in their pits. Then a Superkart race and then......

Meeting abandoned by the CoC due to saftety reasons, subsidence between Coppice and McCleans. A rather large hole had appeared at the edge of the track. Exactly what we were promised could not happen again as it was previously caused by "damage to a drainage pipe".

In my view the MSA should revoke the Donington license immediately until such time as Tom Wheatcroft has a lessee with the necessary competence to run the place safely.

I and many others have now lost significant sums of money due to this miserable enterprise.

Anybody considering investing in this project would be well advised to think again.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2513709)   #244
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bloody Hell that sounds ominous.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2513726)   #245
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Ominous indeed.

Thinking about this again I really don't see what option the MSA or FIA have other than to withdraw the track licence pending a proper and comprehensive review of safety at Donington.

Should a tragedy occur, either this afternoon or at a future date, that might be even remotely linked to this issue, then I believe their insurers will become rather interested in this thread.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2513771)   #246
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard they were planning on over night repairs to then run the rest of the meeting today.

Its getting stupid though, they can't keep having this happen every time it rains.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2513783)   #247
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
I heard they were planning on over night repairs to then run the rest of the meeting today.
In the absence of any other investors they are redeveloping their track using our money. At the same time as risking our lives

The authorities need to step in now before it's too late.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2513791)   #248
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I would have thought that ALL that is needed is to get the sub-structure right,sounds as though there is too much top-soil on the track edge.
Obviously a very simple fix so really no need to panic.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2513815)   #249
mwg
Rookie

mwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I would have thought that ALL that is needed is to get the sub-structure right,sounds as though there is too much top-soil on the track edge.
Obviously a very simple fix so really no need to panic.
A fix so simple, that's why it was rectified in June after it happened the first time. Wait, it wasn't...

It's not the top soil that worries me - it's the people who own it...
Old 2 Aug 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2513846)   #250
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Or more like, the people who are 'fixing' it.Possibly the best course of action is to get in touch with with the Organising Club and request the entry fee being returned.They will then get in touch with the owners -----------.

I dont understand why this particular problem should have happened yet again,it's not as if the track has been changed to something different.IF the contractors knew what they were doing,and after the first problem occured,you'd have thought they would have taken step's to stop it ever having the chance to re-occur.