Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Nov 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2341805)   #51
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
Its a done deal Denosaur. Soooo, hope you develop a taste for JD or somethen, otherwise its just plain old Coca Cola for you buddy.
Nah man he have to hit the Pepsi cuz Coca Cola is also a sponsor of DJR
Old 26 Nov 2008, 01:32 (Ref:2341852)   #52
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol, Jim Beam n Coke, wonder which bright spark at DJR thought to try to attract those two sponsors.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2341860)   #53
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Geez, there are people I don't have great fondness for in racing, but to "hate" a racing driver so intensely speaks more about the hater than the hated.
It's a developed hatred of the bloke. Didn't score many points when announced that he would be driving for SBR after running with HRT in the enduro's. Then the arrogance, driving, performance and so on has really put him out in the hatred paddock. I could say some other pretty low comments, but at the end of the day his driving performances and results so far speak more than my words ever could.

As a side note, the current and previous sponsors on car #4, I have and friends have looked at using there services. Regardless of Courtney's face associated with them, they still charge an arm and a leg. So there be no change there even when they leave.

Quote:
Soooo, hope you develop a taste for JD or somethen, otherwise its just plain old Coca Cola for you buddy.
Been drinking both for a while, just depends on the time, date, week and month as to which I drink. After Todd got shafted from HRT started drinking more JD, out of sadness that he got dropped for the so call "chosen one". Prefer JD over JB, especially neat, and prefer to mix with Dry than Coke when I have too.

As for Coke, I'll be still drinking the Official Non-Alcohol Beverage of NASCAR.

Last edited by Denosaur; 26 Nov 2008 at 02:30.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 02:31 (Ref:2341861)   #54
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
lol, Jim Beam n Coke, wonder which bright spark at DJR thought to try to attract those two sponsors.
I think Coke own part or there of the distribution company that moves JB in Australia.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 02:45 (Ref:2341865)   #55
dazza027
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Been drinking both for a while, just depends on the time, date, week and month as to which I drink. After Todd got shafted from HRT started drinking more JD, out of sadness that he got dropped for the so call "chosen one". Prefer JD over JB, especially neat, and prefer to mix with Dry than Coke when I have too.
Id have to admit that Im more into the JD than the JB, the JD has more guts to it. More often than not theres more JD in the glass than there is Coke too.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2341867)   #56
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I could say some other pretty low comments, but at the end of the day his driving performances and results so far speak more than my words ever could.
So you intensely "hate" someone because his driving performances and results don't match your expectations...? Seems harsh to me.

Surely a significant portion of the grid should be "hated" then...
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2341871)   #57
dazza027
Racer

I think he may be talking more about JC's ability to imply he is so much more superior to everyone else on the grid. And that air of betterness doesnt translate into results. As far as I see it, he still is the most overated driver in the paddock, even though I actually dont mind him too much, its just that ' I used to be a F1 test driver, why the hell am I here?' thing rubs me up the wrong way sometimes. And I still say he isnt worth a million anythings much less actual dollars in terms of value as a driver, and I dont particularly care how that pay packet is broken up into as far as proportions paid by team and sponsors. A million bucks buys CL, or Skaife, or Rusty, but not a newboy thats only been in the series five minutes. Even if he has won a race now. (Im still ****ed off that he took CL out at Clipsal.)
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2341878)   #58
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think he may be talking more about JC's ability to imply he is so much more superior to everyone else on the grid. And that air of betterness doesnt translate into results. As far as I see it, he still is the most overated driver in the paddock, even though I actually dont mind him too much, its just that ' I used to be a F1 test driver, why the hell am I here?' thing rubs me up the wrong way sometimes. And I still say he isnt worth a million anythings much less actual dollars in terms of value as a driver, and I dont particularly care how that pay packet is broken up into as far as proportions paid by team and sponsors. A million bucks buys CL, or Skaife, or Rusty, but not a newboy thats only been in the series five minutes. Even if he has won a race now. (Im still ****ed off that he took CL out at Clipsal.)
I have to agree there, at first i never really liked him. he is slowly begining to grow on me. There is no doubting there is some talent there. But i feel he may have been better suited to the open wheels of F1. He seems to lack the ability of say Whincup, davidson or winterbottom all from open wheel backgrounds. Tin tops just suit some drivers better than others.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2341884)   #59
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
So you intensely "hate" someone because his driving performances and results don't match your expectations...? Seems harsh to me.

Surely a significant portion of the grid should be "hated" then...
I think dazza027 sums it up pretty good with his post
Quote:
It's that air of betterness that he has.

As for hating the rest of the grid, I don't. There are many drivers out there who are under-performing, but I don't hate them as most of them, as they don't go talking themselves up like Courtney does. Like Skaife said before Bathurst in response to Courtneys comments, it better to be a "has-been then a never will be".

Last edited by Denosaur; 26 Nov 2008 at 03:48.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2341886)   #60
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
A million bucks buys CL, or Skaife, or Rusty, but not a newboy thats only been in the series five minutes.
I tend to agree that the top end guys that have runs on the board, both ontrack and offtrack with sponsors deserve the 7 figure incomes. Short life span and all that, like footballers etc.

But, I would love to know what Billy thinks Skaife should get...
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2341887)   #61
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think he may be talking more about JC's ability to imply he is so much more superior to everyone else on the grid.
I'm sorry, but when you come to V8Supercars with junior and senior world karting championships, a British Formula Ford title, a Japanese Formula Three title, countless wins in British Formula Three and Japanese Super GT, plus a couple of stints test driving Formula One cars, it is only natural that there is going to be an implied superiority - not to mention elevated expectations.

I daresay James is the most highly credentialled driver ever to regularly race a V8Supercar.

And it is this background that leads to media (informed and uninformed), spectators and the entire paddock expecting total and utter greatness.

James' relaxed, open nature, and willingness to give the media as much time and effort as they seek, and happiness to speak honestly about any topic, must come off as arrogance and superiority to some.

Having met the bloke a number of times, in a professional capacity, I must say he seems, though confident, completely grounded and unaffected by his position or history.

He can't win - he says he didn't like F1 because they were knobs and he's blasted for being arrogant.

He gets good publicity for V8Supercars in general media and he's a media whore.

Quote:
And that air of betterness doesnt translate into results. As far as I see it, he still is the most overated driver in the paddock, even though I actually dont mind him too much, its just that ' I used to be a F1 test driver, why the hell am I here?' thing rubs me up the wrong way sometimes.
Are you sure that's coming from James, and not the media, or the fact that you know he has been an F1 test driver?

As for his results, well, it's very easy to forget that when Marcos Ambrose left Stone Brothers, a lot of technical personnel also left the team - and the place has never really been the same since.

Yes, he's had just a "couple" of opportunities to run at the front, and he hasn't always taken those opportunities - such as Clipsal this year. But had Jason Richards allowed him through to lap him at Clipsal, and had Besnard's first stint at Bathurst gone to plan, we could be talking about a Clipsal and Bathurst-winning driver.

If you're unsure of his talent, as I've said further up this thread, go and watch him street the field in the first stint at Bathurst, then drive from the back of the field to third.

Quote:
A million bucks buys CL, or Skaife, or Rusty, but not a newboy thats only been in the series five minutes. Even if he has won a race now. (Im still ****ed off that he took CL out at Clipsal.)
Suggesting you'd pay a million dollars for Skaife and Ingall indicates how seriously to take your opinion, Dazza.

Last edited by mac; 26 Nov 2008 at 03:49.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:48 (Ref:2341888)   #62
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
I tend to agree that the top end guys that have runs on the board, both ontrack and offtrack with sponsors deserve the 7 figure incomes. Short life span and all that, like footballers etc.

But, I would love to know what Billy thinks Skaife should get...
The arse, which is exactly what has happened
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:49 (Ref:2341889)   #63
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never mind what the journalist in the article said, we have all heard JC say on TV that "HE CHOSE" not to pursue an F1 career!

As if!!!!!!
Old 26 Nov 2008, 03:51 (Ref:2341892)   #64
mac
Veteran

Quote:
There are many drivers out there who are under-performing, but I don't hate them as most of them, as they don't go talking themselves up like Courtney does.
Find me a quote where he has talked himself up...
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:09 (Ref:2341895)   #65
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I daresay James is the most highly credentialled driver ever to regularly race a V8Supercar.
Mac, I am also a fan of JC's driving ability and have been since his karting days thru to his time at Jag. He got toasted by Nikki after being blamed for the testing accident which was proved to be mechanical fault. He may well be the most credentialed driver to arrive in the category but it is time he delivered...There is no doubt he has not always had the fastest car but there has also been a few brain fades like Clipsal this year with J Richards while comfortably leading.

Quote:
Suggesting you'd pay a million dollars for Skaife and Ingall indicates how seriously to take your opinion, Dazza.
I think for the same reasons you suggest JC deserves to chase the big money; Skaife and Ingall with both Bathurst and Championships have reached the top of their sport and should earn accordingly. Bit harsh on poor old Dazza?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:24 (Ref:2341897)   #66
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Find me a quote where he has talked himself up...
Like I said, you only have to read Skaife's comment and that says it all.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:30 (Ref:2341900)   #67
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
I think for the same reasons you suggest JC deserves to chase the big money; Skaife and Ingall with both Bathurst and Championships have reached the top of their sport and should earn accordingly. Bit harsh on poor old Dazza?
Exactly, and when he turns all those Championships and F1 tests into V8 race wins, then we might say something different. Until then he really needs to pull the figure out.

And as for turning down F1, I'd say he could be stuff paying for his drive like Webber did.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:45 (Ref:2341903)   #68
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Never mind what the journalist in the article said, we have all heard JC say on TV that "HE CHOSE" not to pursue an F1 career!

As if!!!!!!
Well, at the end of his second British F3 season, he did have options to continue in Europe... but he chose to go to Japan to race in F3 and GT, which is clearly not a step to further his F1 aspirations.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2341904)   #69
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Like I said, you only have to read Skaife's comment and that says it all.
Umm, no... parli inglese?

I asked you to find me a quote where James has talked himself up like so many have accused him of constantly doing.

And you come back with, "read Skaife's comment"...!? Huh!?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:55 (Ref:2341905)   #70
mac
Veteran

Quote:
There is no doubt he has not always had the fastest car but there has also been a few brain fades like Clipsal this year with J Richards while comfortably leading.
I personally think Jason Richards should have been a bit more courteous while the race leader was barrelling down the inside of him to put him a lap down...

Quote:
Well, Skaife is retiring because of his mediocre performances this year, and Ingall was roundly whooped by Courtney when they were team mates. They may have won championships in the past, but neither will ever again - at least James represents some future potential to win a championship, while bringing money and marketability to the team.

I give up - you blokes just don't get it. A name driver with talent, like Courtney, is a precious commodity for a race team. How much that commodity is worth is a matter for that team and it's sponsors - and frankly Dick Johnson and Jim Beam have far more runs on the board in this caper than any of you lot.

Last edited by mac; 26 Nov 2008 at 04:58.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:57 (Ref:2341906)   #71
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

Didn't one Mr Jones pedal one around in the early days?

I don't recall Mr Courtney having any Le Mans wins under his belt.

Mr Perkins did actually RACE in F1? Sure, it was a long time ago, but in my view, it sure does count.

IIRC, Will Davison had a test with Minardi, so could he too be considered an "F1 test driver"?

He's highly credentialled, for sure, but THE most credentialled? No.

As Frank Williams often points out, drivers have relatively short careers, who can blame him for making the most of it?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2341911)   #72
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I personally think Jason Richards should have been a bit more courteous while the race leader was barrelling down the inside of him to put him a lap down...
At the Chicane?? Come on mac, Courtney had plenty of time up his sleeve and I am sure if he had his time again would react differently. Speaking of JR, he is also known for brain fade and its probably the same reason he has not lived up to his talent.

Quote:
Well, Skaife is retiring because of his mediocre performances this year, and Ingall was roundly whooped by Courtney when they were team mates. They may have won championships, but neither will ever again - at least James represents some future potential to win a championship, while bringing money and marketability to the team.
Runs on the board, by both, multiple times. My reference is during and after their success they should be entitled to earn the top $$. Results Talk B.S Walks... Up till now its been mostly talk and not results from JC.

Step up to the plate young fella or you will become the Braith Anasta of motorsport permanently.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2341912)   #73
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction
Didn't one Mr Jones pedal one around in the early days?

I don't recall Mr Courtney having any Le Mans wins under his belt.

Mr Perkins did actually RACE in F1? Sure, it was a long time ago, but in my view, it sure does count.
I meant currently on the grid... He's got the current lot licked easily - including Will Davison.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 05:13 (Ref:2341913)   #74
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Runs on the board, by both, multiple times. My reference is during and after their success they should be entitled to earn the top $$.
What are you talking about!?!?

You don't think Skaife has made squillions out of motorsport? You don't think he was one of the drivers on absolute megabucks when the sport was throwing money at drivers?

And for someone closer to the end of his career than the start and in his 40s, Supercheap would be paying Russell Ingall quite a pretty penny to appear in TV ads, the media whore...
Old 26 Nov 2008, 05:26 (Ref:2341916)   #75
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
What are you talking about!?!?

You don't think Skaife has made squillions out of motorsport? You don't think he was one of the drivers on absolute megabucks when the sport was throwing money at drivers?

And for someone closer to the end of his career than the start and in his 40s, Supercheap would be paying Russell Ingall quite a pretty penny to appear in TV ads, the media whore...
Keh?? you suggest Dazza has no credability based on his comments about someone like CL, Skaife or Ingall being entitiled to earn the big $. That is the point which you now appear to agree to that these guys get paid the big bucks because of their achieved results!!!

Courtney has all the signs of being a top driver earning top pay and all the best to him and I hope he gets there. Other wise I will feel like a goose because I have always rated him.

However he has yet to deliver a nanny nat of what either Skaife or Ingall has so he should get a rattle on or the buffet will end.