Old 7 Apr 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2668413)   #101
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
You're too kind. I'm often wrong as well.

Not having been to Thruxton, I seem to remember from TV that most of the marshals' posts are pod thingies which change the placement. Does that apply to the chicane-complex area, then, albeit with barriers as well?
I also haven't been to Thruxton, but I think I saw in Startline a story about the old pod style posts being replaced by wooden sheds? I also think that the chicane has got recticels on it... don't quote me on that there. I think I should probably go to Thruxton one of these days!
Old 7 Apr 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2668431)   #102
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I thought distributing marshals around the sector was normal? It is everywhere I marshal, no experience of Thruxton, though.
Your right woolley, just a couple of years ago everyone on post was asked to stay within close proximity of the flag marshals protection fence/barrier, which as others have said and i agree is a problem when theres a lot of you, limiting your escape route on incoming vehicles/debris ect...
This year nothing was mentioned at the on post breifings, so marshals posted themselves at the best postitions for potential offs, thus not being no use to anyone after running 100mts.
We all know where 80/90% of cars, bikes end up at each circuit,so its best to strategically place marshals in those places (or close by, away from the firing line)
Behind the flag marshals fence/barriers are the standard wooden sheds for personal kit ect..
The chicane has got recticells on it, to stop short cutting.....although many did try.
But is also bolstered up with straw bales, and more recticells for bike meetings at the bike hot spots for offs, posts 4,6,14,16 and everyones favorite 21......take cover.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2668452)   #103
GoGoGadget
Rookie

United Kingdom
At Home !
GoGoGadget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowspanner View Post
Enjoyable first meeting on rescue - luckily we managed to keep both big incidents to ourselves dealing with both the big Ginetta offs.
Spoilsports - I think you were just being greedy - you could of let us have at least one !

Found the Porsches at 11 quite entertaining though - one poor soul span at the same place 3 times - If at first you don't succeed keep trying

A day on the rescue unit with Mrs.Little and no cakes - whatever is the world coming to

Roll on Gurston !
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2668479)   #104
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norbert

Have sent you a PM.

Bladders................
Old 8 Apr 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2668988)   #105
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
So practically, what do you do about this on post? Do you discuss appropriate ways away from the post?

Surely putting marshals outside of the "safe" zone isn't the solution to this problem?
Not being funny Piglet but what marshaling discipline do you normally do? The only reason I ask this is that I've been marshalling for 14 seasons and how we did it at Thruxton is how I have always marshalled. This was my first time at Thruxton and I had a fantastic time on post 4 with a top team who were all up for a laugh so many thanks to all the guys and girls for a great day from your Donington refugee.

This "Safe Zone" nonesense is totally crazy as it would very much affect the reaction times of the incident team, as I've already said I've been a marshal for quite a while now the last 6 years or so as a trainee I/O and I always assess where on the post is safe to spread out my team before I deploy them, indeed this weekend I moved my part of the team a few feet to one side because where we initially set up for quali didn't seem quiet so safe when the pack came flying through in race 1. IMO how we deployed this weekend was the correct way for an incident team to deploy and is how I've done it at Donington, Brands, Mallory, Cadwell and Silverstone, infact it's also how we do it for the GP so the FIA obviously don't see it as an insurance issue.

At the end of the day as it says on the passes motor sport is dangerous and we all have a responsibility to look after our own safety, the good advice being if someting doesn't feel safe to you don't do it.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2669000)   #106
Robf
Rookie

England
Dudley
Robf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

We had a fantastic weekend on post 6, we were on the inside with Mike and Alan, we are also Donington Refugees at the moment.

We would like to thank Mike and Alan and all the others we spoke to on Post 6 for an excellent weekend, only 2 incidents to deal with 1 for us on the inside the Formula Renault and Matt Hamilton for the guys on the outside.

Great racing as usual, cold but worth every minute of it.

Thanks
Andy and Bob
Old 8 Apr 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2669083)   #107
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Post 4- who holds a blue flag across there body confused the hell out of us on post 3..
yellow flag used to point to debris on track ! our flaggie was getting very confused....
Old 8 Apr 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2669102)   #108
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Post 4- who holds a blue flag across there body confused the hell out of us on post 3..
yellow flag used to point to debris on track ! our flaggie was getting very confused....
Really don't understand your first point.
The debris was a bit of a pain, because although it was swept off the racing line, it was directly on line for cars leaving the pit lane. Sorry to the green flag man on 5.
Why it confused the people on 3 is beyond me, as surely they could see the debris aswell!
Old 8 Apr 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2669114)   #109
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf View Post
We had a fantastic weekend on post 6, we were on the inside with Mike and Alan, we are also Donington Refugees at the moment.
So which one of you three took the tumble when you went to push the F.Renault out of the way?

I promise you that those of us on Post 5 did not laugh - well, not for too long anyway!! I trust the only damage was a bit of pride at taking a tumble...
Old 8 Apr 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2669119)   #110
Robf
Rookie

England
Dudley
Robf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
So which one of you three took the tumble when you went to push the F.Renault out of the way?

I promise you that those of us on Post 5 did not laugh - well, not for too long anyway!! I trust the only damage was a bit of pride at taking a tumble...
That would be me (Andy), no harm done just dirty overalls (only had them the day before as my old ones were ripped lol), imagine if it had been Sunday on TV lol.

I lost my footing on the kind of moss stuff, then to add insult to injuny so to speak, I was pushing the F. Renault and clipped my dads heel and stumbled but didn't fall luckly.

Hope you all enjoyed my show lol, ive had a cheer/applause from Becketts grandstand at Silverstone before when tripped up last year lol.

I now know how unfit I am after the off season, Very lol.

Thanks
Andy
Old 9 Apr 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2669307)   #111
Barman1963
Rookie

Barman1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'I lost my footing on the kind of moss stuff'....still think it was bladder wrack !

It was a pleasure to work with both Rob abd Andy, despite their funny accents, and look forward to seeing you up at Donington where you can poke fun at the way we talk.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2669340)   #112
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
Spoilsports - I think you were just being greedy - you could of let us have at least one !

Found the Porsches at 11 quite entertaining though - one poor soul span at the same place 3 times - If at first you don't succeed keep trying
Just found out the driver from Sunday has cracked three vertebrae and broken his collar bone. 11 was interesting through most of the weekend - the faster cars like the FR's, the Porsches and the G50's seemed to be magnetically drawn to the grass on the outside. Roll on Brands!! Thats my next free weekend.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2670245)   #113
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just found out the driver from Sunday has cracked three vertebrae and broken his collar bone. 11 was interesting through most of the weekend - the faster cars like the FR's, the Porsches and the G50's seemed to be magnetically drawn to the grass on the outside. Roll on Brands!! Thats my next free weekend.
Is that the young lad in the Ginetta?
Old 11 Apr 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2671024)   #114
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006 View Post
Is that the young lad in the Ginetta?
IIRC, the commentator said one of the G50 drivers suffered a broken collarbone....
Old 11 Apr 2010, 19:11 (Ref:2671032)   #115
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
On the day of the race? I am not too sure what his exact injuries are/were but would be interested to know how he did get on.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2671035)   #116
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
http://www.ginettacars.com/news_details.php?id=233

Just found this, not too sure how accurate this is?
Old 11 Apr 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2671057)   #117
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I know its been covered in another thread but the LPG issue was in my opinion on most minds, Post chiefs where given a handout on sunday morning but i think we need to get LPG covered in training days.
Most marshals are still a little unsure how to treat a LPG incident....
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2671534)   #118
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
IIRC, the commentator said one of the G50 drivers suffered a broken collarbone....
Thats the one - straight into Post 14 tyre wall. Autosport report so guess its accurate.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2671669)   #119
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats the one - straight into Post 14 tyre wall. Autosport report so guess its accurate.
Having seen that replay on ITV4, he is lucky to not get airborne and take out the TV tower. It did seem to hit straight on to that part.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2672643)   #120
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Having seen that replay on ITV4, he is lucky to not get airborne and take out the TV tower. It did seem to hit straight on to that part.
Yup. Saw it happen from where we were posted close to Post 11 and was amazed when got on scene to see the driver out of the car. He really mullah'ed that one.