Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Feb 2004, 14:59 (Ref:864114)   #1
silverback mike
Rookie

silverback mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello everybody.

Just a quick hello really.
I was directed to this site by a helpful member of pistonheads, and very much want to get into marshalling.
Living in Bristol puts me near to coombe, so not too far away.
Any hints gratefully accepted, unfortunately cannot make the training day on 21st feb due to manning levels and working shifts.

Anyway, hello everybody

Mike.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:18 (Ref:864138)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Mike, some of us also live dual lives between sites ....welcome to ten-tenths and the world of marshalling in general. I'll let someone else give you the gen on marshalling though, I'm sure you'll have a ringside seat at Combe soon.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:24 (Ref:864145)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A good first step is to visit the BMMC website (http://www.marshals.co.uk/).

The MSA's Pocket Guide to Marshalling gives a lot of valuable information - you can download it from the BMMC website. The grading manual will also be useful.

You need a club to act as your 'primary club' for grading purposes. The choice of club will depend on where you want to do most of your marshalling. No doubt one of the Coombe regulars will advise you on that - personally, I'd recommend BMMC as it is a club purely for marshals & enjoys good relations with all the organising clubs.

It's a pity you can't make the training day; training is an essential part of the job.

One thing I'm sure of - you'll have fun marshalling!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:44 (Ref:864233)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Mike

Here is something we produce for new members of the British Motorsport Marshals Club. (The images and layout don't come out in the forum so the layout may be a bit off - sorry.)

=================================
British Motorsport Marshals Club

Midland Region

Useful sources of information

Now that so many people have access to the internet, much of the information about circuits, meetings, volunteering and general discussion is being made available on websites. Listed below are a few of the ones which experience has shown are most useful. Do make use of these and let them/us know what developments you would find useful.

1. BMMC website at http://www.marshals.co.uk/ Here you will find things like club information, an introduction to marshalling, your Regional committee contact details and membership forms.

2. Marshals.org.uk at http://www.marshals.org.uk/ is a site (maintained by BMMC member Julian Floyd) which lists information about meetings, club availability forms and, for some clubs, on-line volunteering forms.

3. The Marshals Post website http://www.marshalspost.com/ . The site contains information on circuits around the UK and overseas that is of particular use to marshals; such as good posts to work, sign-on points, places to park and many other useful bits and pieces. So if you are going to a circuit which is new to you here is a good place to start looking for where to sign on etc. And once you have been somewhere you can update the site with what you have found. Attached with this sheet is a print of a circuit from this website so you can see what we mean. Thanks to Paul Perkins, the site owner, for allowing us to print and distribute his circuit pages.

4. Finally for a forum to read and express your views, have a look at http://tentenths.com/ . All sorts of forums concentrating on worldwide (anglophone) motorsport, including a marshalling forum where you will soon to recognise friends and acquaintances. (But you have already found this one. )

Jim Whitaker
Chairman
Midland Region
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:45 (Ref:864292)   #5
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, welcome to ten-tenths, and the wandering topics that make the marshals forum. We're all nice people really...

Blatent self-publication, but please allow me...
www.geocities.com/alan_green6975/index

A friend was getting started in marshalling so I said I'd do some notes, and got carried away with it. Hopefully you might find something of use in there.

Again, welcome to the forum, and hope you get to have a go on the bank (or the pit lane, assembly, etc) on many occasions this year,
Alan
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:43 (Ref:864366)   #6
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike
Although you are missing the training day at Combe have you considered Thruxton? Or for something slightly different try hillclimbing, Prescott near Cheltenham has a training day on Sunday 7th March, if you would like anymore details please PM me. Not quite sure whether Prescott would be your nearest hillclimbing venue or Gurston Down Near Salisbury.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:08 (Ref:864483)   #7
silverback mike
Rookie

silverback mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you very much for the welcome and answers.
Alan, very infomative link, thank you.
It is indeed unfortunate that I cannot make the training day, normally a day shift wouldn't be a problem but this time it is.
Pike, I would be interested in hillclimbing.
Cheltenham isn't too far away either.
Mike
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:14 (Ref:865227)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to Ten-Tenths Mike. The guys and gals have already given you some great advice so I won't repeat it. Naturally training days are good to attend but don't let not attending one this year put you off in any way. Much of what you learn is done 'in situe' and the people you get to work with will give you lots of good advice.

I hope you have a great time trackside this year and hope to 'bump into you' during the year.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:00 (Ref:865383)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, I'll add my welcome and hope to see you at a track sometime in the future.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:865443)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Mike & hello!

There's a ten-tents user called Gary Tanner who's a regular observer at Combe - PM him and he'll tell you what you need to know.
Combe is also run by the BRSCC SW, so their chief Marshal, Adrian Fawdington is also an excellect contact.
www.brscc.co.uk/default.asp?page=brscc-centres will give you contact numbers etc.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 6 Feb 2004 at 13:59.