Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Apr 2003, 01:49 (Ref:582457)   #1
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bright doesn't think much of us.

Anyone watch RPM yesterday? Brighty doesn't think much of spectators opinions. Really Jason. Well I don't think much about you!! Early this year you would have to say that Control Freak was the most despised driver in the Series, then we had 5 Minute Spud challenging Skaife for that title. Now we have Bright who has just lost all credibility amoungst the PAYING public. What is it with HRO drivers?? Are they trained to be like this or were they born this way?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 02:43 (Ref:582463)   #2
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I don't think to much of him.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 02:53 (Ref:582466)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So vote with your feet.... next time you want to buy an electrical appliance, avoid the major sponsor of his team, and the electrical goods sponsors also aboard.

I think what was said was inappropriate, and certainly not stage managed the way it should have been.... maybe being in the the championship lead has gone to his head??

The very best question to ask may have been "How does it feel to be the leader in the series knowing you and your team will be turfed from that series in a few weeks?"
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Apr 2003, 03:39 (Ref:582478)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I already avoid BETTA electrical anyway because of the way they shafted John Faulkner a few years ago.

Much like the same way I would never by any ICS product because of the way they stiffed Larko and are playing Team Noske at the moment.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 03:50 (Ref:582479)   #5
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, before people rush into boycotts, it might be worth asking - is it better to buy BETTA (excuse pun) or is it better to buy an electrical appliance from someone that doesn't support motorsport at all?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:31 (Ref:582481)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Find me an ICS product so I can avoid it

I was reading in a waiting room the other day a copy of Street Heat... in the 1999 Indy race, the Romano VS had Betta Electrical on the bonnet... make of that what you will.

I used to visit Mitre 10 out of support for Larko, and went out of my way to do it as a motorsport sponsor. Now that they are not in the series any more, my meagre hardware dollars now drift to Bunnings as they are more conveniently located, and that is a direct function of leaving Larko's team.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:34 (Ref:582482)   #7
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view it was a very poor attempt to defend the indefensible.

As a result he went from being just a driver who made a dumb racing choice (but in the heat of battle, that happens) to being a driver who has alienated his/the sport's fan base, not very smart.

However, the media can manage to make sports stars say stupid things at times - hell, I manage to say stupid things at times without any external assistance at all - but thank christ they don't show them on the news!

Not sure that a boycott of Betta achieves very much, but the voicing of opinion on sites like this (and even direct email to the team) probably gets the message across.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:56 (Ref:582485)   #8
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
In my view it was a very poor attempt to defend the indefensible.

As a result he went from being just a driver who made a dumb racing choice (but in the heat of battle, that happens) to being a driver who has alienated his/the sport's fan base, not very smart.

However, the media can manage to make sports stars say stupid things at times - hell, I manage to say stupid things at times without any external assistance at all - but thank christ they don't show them on the news!

Not sure that a boycott of Betta achieves very much, but the voicing of opinion on sites like this (and even direct email to the team) probably gets the message across.
Bright doesn't seem to need any help from the media
Old 28 Apr 2003, 05:08 (Ref:582486)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I always get the impression, however unfounded, that JB isnt all that confident in the media spotlight..

I dont know if its an arrogance, maybe thats the wrong word, an air of confidence maybe that he is a driver and this other junk like talking to the media isnt something he wants to do.

The interview yesterday was crook, the driver it when the bait was dangled.... something media pros like Lowndes and Skaife manage to avoid....
Old 28 Apr 2003, 07:12 (Ref:582531)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes the "really, for us" mantras don't make me feel all that enamoured to the "media pro" tag given to Cwaig, great driver tho he is.

Bright probably knows he misunderstood the situation as it was occurring, and I'm sure he's covering himself with bullish confidence that he knows best.

Who am I to argue, really, I don't drive for a major manufacturer for aliving and I don't have the commercial pressures of my job hanging on very syllable I speak.

Some drivers are good at talking the talk and a smaller number are good at walking the walk. Ambrose has not weighed into it and this should show some perspective on the issue.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:34 (Ref:582628)   #11
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bright should have gone to share the Kmart car with Murf, they deserve each other.... an attitude like that, dismissing fans who basically pay his wages by buying the junk he peddles, and that he would do it again, like old Murf.... they belong together...

Cant flick Holden soon enough from this series can they?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 10:44 (Ref:582693)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not supporting a product because they no longer sponsor a team? Hrmmm, is everyone certain of why certain sponsors leave teams? You can't always blame the sponsor...

Why don't people just buy the best products?

I still shop at Mitre 10 down the road, I probably don't mind paying a little bit extra because the folks who work there have always been very helpful.

And why not when spending big bucks on electrical goods, shop around and get the best price?

Betta poor money into Briggs too remember, are they a pack of duds because Bright comes over as a prickly pear?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 11:32 (Ref:582737)   #13
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Bright doesn't think much of us.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky
Brighty doesn't think
Thats all you needed to say At least the guy is in the correct group of Six Drivers, some of whom are headed for Centrelink on june 2nd.

Old 28 Apr 2003, 11:37 (Ref:582745)   #14
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_butterfly17
well I don't think to much of him.
Blu butterfly I remember a time Not all that long ago before Jason Bright suffered his mysterious and still present dose of Brain Damage, when he was driving a FORD and YOUR brother was a huge fan of his, to the point he bought merchandise and I think he even spoke to Jasons Mum at one stage trying to track something down. I bet he hates Jason Now !!!!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 20:44 (Ref:583182)   #15
True Believer
Racer

Who cares, Bright will be on the dole queue from around June 2nd anyway....
Old 28 Apr 2003, 23:18 (Ref:583291)   #16
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Tool Man
Blu butterfly I remember a time Not all that long ago before Jason Bright suffered his mysterious and still present dose of Brain Damage, when he was driving a FORD and YOUR brother was a huge fan of his, to the point he bought merchandise and I think he even spoke to Jasons Mum at one stage trying to track something down. I bet he hates Jason Now !!!!

And that has what exactly to do with me:confused: whatever my brother does is his decision - not mine.

I didn't follow him then and I sure as hell don't follow him now. go DJR!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 23:37 (Ref:583298)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You lot crack me up. Frankly I don't blame him. Some of the unjustified **** the "fans" have dished up has been ridiculous. I remember the garbage after the Ingall/Bright incident at Indy last year. If his name was R. Ingall, it would be called "enforcing", everyone would love him as a cult hero, because he overtakes people by punting them off the track.

Fact is, Indy was a 50/50 thing, and Phillip Island was a racing incident originally caused by a misunderstanding between drivers, and then by busted steering.

Why should he care what "fans" think. He's still going to drive the same, and I'm pretty happy about that.

As for his relationship with fans, he is personable and friendly. You've got a much better chance of having a chat to Jason, than his former HRT teammate.

Turn it up you guys!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 01:11 (Ref:583335)   #18
True Believer
Racer

I hope he does drive the same myself... watching Bright crash is something to look forward to!

If you want to talk to Skaife its always possible, just depends who you talk to in order to get an audience with his Skaifeness...
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:08 (Ref:583448)   #19
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
You lot crack me up. Frankly I don't blame him. Some of the unjustified **** the "fans" have dished up has been ridiculous. I remember the garbage after the Ingall/Bright incident at Indy last year. If his name was R. Ingall, it would be called "enforcing", everyone would love him as a cult hero, because he overtakes people by punting them off the track.

Fact is, Indy was a 50/50 thing, and Phillip Island was a racing incident originally caused by a misunderstanding between drivers, and then by busted steering.

Why should he care what "fans" think. He's still going to drive the same, and I'm pretty happy about that.

As for his relationship with fans, he is personable and friendly. You've got a much better chance of having a chat to Jason, than his former HRT teammate.

Turn it up you guys!
looks like your the only 'NOT SO' fan on here & you defend him like there is no tomorrow
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:11 (Ref:583449)   #20
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Bright doesn't think much of us.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky
What is it with HRO drivers?? Are they trained to be like this or were they born this way?
they must be trained to carry on like they do as it seems an all to common occurence with 90% of the symbol group past and present
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:43 (Ref:583622)   #21
simon5574
Rookie

simon5574 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the easiest way to prove the connection of the 6 car team is arrogance
Old 30 Apr 2003, 04:30 (Ref:584540)   #22
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I always get the impression, however unfounded, that JB isnt all that confident in the media spotlight..
He has said some rather silly things on camera in the past. The most notable that I can recall was when he got pole or a podium finish (can't recall) and the interviewer said something like "what would you have said if I told you before this weekend that you'd get pole/win/place?" Bright responded by saying something like, "I'd have probably have smacked you one."

I know that emotions etc can get caught up in the heat of the moment. But you don't see such personalities make those sort of gaffes all the time. I think he needs to look at his media skills. Or his management should be.

Nigel Mansell was a beauty for on-air gaffes and the odd unintillegible statements.
Old 1 May 2003, 22:09 (Ref:586801)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Bright's attitude rather depressing.
He was one of the few Holden drivers I had a little time for, and I was hoping he'd do OK this year away from HRT.
Now he's just coming across as another arrogant turd in a Holden.
Old 3 May 2003, 21:58 (Ref:588776)   #24
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Bright from Kew......that would explain it!
Old 3 May 2003, 22:02 (Ref:588779)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A quick question, is it normal for a L1 driver to always have his mum & dad hanging round the circus?

I didnt think so myself but Mr Bright does it regularly.... every round in fact....

Now I know they invested their futures in the #1 son, but is it claustrophobic & stifling development?