Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jul 2007, 06:28 (Ref:1976881)   #1
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
more rounds

i cant figure out why their arent more rounds in the year they usually say its because they need time to fix cars ,etc but there are a few rounds that are only two weeks apart why do we have to wait four weeks for others its anoying they need regular racing to make the sport grow and im sure they could go to some of the old tracks even if they have poor attendence theirs still a large tv audience
Old 31 Jul 2007, 06:30 (Ref:1976883)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Teams say 14 events is enough for them.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 07:31 (Ref:1976913)   #3
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wat about the fans though
Old 31 Jul 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1977020)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the fans?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1977037)   #5
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, and what about the thirty something rounds the NASCAR fans in the USA get...... .....maybe if V8SC looked after the fans as a higher priority than their own pockets they could quote believable attendence and TV figures ( as NASCAR does) as opposed to the garb we're currently fed.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1977051)   #6
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wouldn't believe them if they did.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1977066)   #7
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.kuiper
i cant figure out why their arent more rounds in the year they usually say its because they need time to fix cars ,etc but there are a few rounds that are only two weeks apart why do we have to wait four weeks for others its anoying they need regular racing to make the sport grow and im sure they could go to some of the old tracks even if they have poor attendence theirs still a large tv audience

I'd say so.

If they were to increase the number of rounds, the cost would be astronomical, I'd say. Imagine all the spare cars they'd need to build, not to mention the extra staff to handle the extra workload.

Having made that point, I don't think we have enough rounds. I'd like to see more but don't believe it's feasible for most teams atm.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1977134)   #8
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and dont forget the added clashes with AFL etc ... something elsse for us all to whinge about!!!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1977153)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At between $100k and $300k per round per car in preparation costs, if the series were to expand another round, the main series teams would need to have these costs defrayed or guaranteed by the V8SA organisation.

This was what led the teams to overseas rounds, where the transport costs were picked up (to some extent), and the round fixture fee aided revenue to offset some of the operational expenses.

If you want 20 rounds... the teams would need to go to the sponsors and ask for more funding. Or remove some staff or equipment. Or sell everything they own hoping for a pot of gold (cue DJR)

Its not as simple as just throwing a few extra events on the calendar
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Jul 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1977163)   #10
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HO hum out come not enough dollars.
Crap. Lets have a good look.
1)get rid of the ridiculous rear end. Waffle crompton loves telling us about a bolt that snaps.
2) they all run the same front end,same gear box, same diffs. what costs?
3) plastic front guards to stop cutting tyres
4) areo packages that can work if you loose your rear plastic
5)engines that are not machined to the tenth degree.
6)a bit of **** in the front grille won't cook a car
7)adopt the nascar principal of a rolling frame with different sheetmetal
8)points system right thru to the end
9)allow some biff and barge
10)penalise those that preserve race stratergy rather than going for it.
11)a race every 3 weeks, build it and they come
12)make it a challenge the other sports
13)increase the field size ( why would I want to sponsor something that is restricted)

just some thoughts

don't jump down my neck
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1977173)   #11
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need more rounds if they want more mainstream coverage and fans will enjoy the increase...say 15 rounds, F1 NC. 13 rounds a year is nothing. If something was happening at least every fortnight during the season there would be more mainstream media interest. They need to liven it up, have some big news stories that happen, even a mid season test or something with each team...Whatever they need but they cant complain they dont get more media coverage if they only have 13 rounds.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1977217)   #12
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lets just scrap the whole thing because it costs money.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1978009)   #13
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
delete
Old 1 Aug 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1978350)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
13 or 14 rounds is enough, they just need to package the season as a whole abit tighter.

It makes little sense they race basically once a month (bar the occasional double ups) for three quarters of the year, yet after Bathurst (which one would assume deserves the biggest gap afterwards) the rounds come thick and fast at 2 week intervals until the end of the season.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1978558)   #15
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they are factoring in the weather less races thru the winter period too cold for spectators and track preparation plus less chance of a wet race.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1978644)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport

Cool...!!
Old 2 Aug 2007, 02:28 (Ref:1978728)   #17
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
13 or 14 rounds is enough, they just need to package the season as a whole abit tighter.

It makes little sense they race basically once a month (bar the occasional double ups) for three quarters of the year, yet after Bathurst (which one would assume deserves the biggest gap afterwards) the rounds come thick and fast at 2 week intervals until the end of the season.
Nice to see that someone on this thread actually has a clue, racer69.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 02:28 (Ref:1978729)   #18
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.kuiper
They test during the longer breaks.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 01:49 (Ref:1982102)   #19
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport

Mate I'm with you......if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

13 or 14 rounds a year. It starts in March and finished in December thats makes 13 rounds over 9 months (38 weeks). Thats and average of 2.92 weeks between rounds.

The nuff nuffs at V8supercars call it a mainstream sport. Tell em their Dreamen.

Compared to NASCARs 35 rounds over a similar time frame (Go Ambrose) our series is an amateur sport at best.

I used to get pumped about the next round coming up. I used to buy merchandise whenever I go to a racing round (3 or 4 rounds a year). Now I dont give a rats.

My thoughts are for 17 rounds over a shorter time frame say 7 months maybe split the season into 2 and race in Autum and spring that fixes the issue of clashing with criket and the footy to a degree.

You can create a habit for people. Having events on a consistant basis helps create this habit. Interest wont waine as it does now and I you might even get a bigger following.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 04:27 (Ref:1982145)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT
Compared to NASCARs 35 rounds over a similar time frame (Go Ambrose) our series is an amateur sport at best.
NASCAR is at the point where its becoming diluted though. In America there may be the market for it, but theyre already doubling and trippling up on the tracks and the teams can have 10+ race prepared cars to accomodate the schedule. 13-14 might not be enough here, or at least not the way its structured but you wouldnt be able to push it too far past 16 IMO, provided the teams would be able to keep up. Even WRC, MotoGP and F1 have extended breaks throughout the year for the teams to recuperate.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 04:37 (Ref:1982149)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The NASCAR scene also has 35 tracks to choose from... V8Supercar would have to visit all the domestic circuits at least twice to accomodate that many rounds.

NSW: Eastern Creek, Bathurst, Oran Park
Vic: Sandown, Phillip Island, Winton
Qld: Indy, Queensland Raceway
SA: Adelaide
WA: Barbagallo
Tas: Symmons Plains

... 11 tracks, go there 3 times... 36 rounds... easy...

Except you would run out of cars by round 12...
Old 6 Aug 2007, 05:23 (Ref:1982159)   #22
Silver GT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The NASCAR scene also has 35 tracks to choose from... V8Supercar would have to visit all the domestic circuits at least twice to accomodate that many rounds.

NSW: Eastern Creek, Bathurst, Oran Park
Vic: Sandown, Phillip Island, Winton
Qld: Indy, Queensland Raceway
SA: Adelaide
WA: Barbagallo
Tas: Symmons Plains

... 11 tracks, go there 3 times... 36 rounds... easy...

Except you would run out of cars by round 12...
NASCAR race at tracks more than once....each year

I dont see that being a problem with racing 3 or 4 times at one track.

Essendon plays at the Telstra dome 10 times a year....that doesnt stop the crowds

My point is....you for get the races are even one....some times the break is two weeks...sometimes 3 weeks some time 4 weeks

its to hard to keep track.....if its too hard for a person who likes car racing....it would be impossible for the potential new views to keep track of
Old 6 Aug 2007, 05:25 (Ref:1982160)   #23
Silver GT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
NASCAR is at the point where its becoming diluted though. In America there may be the market for it, but theyre already doubling and trippling up on the tracks and the teams can have 10+ race prepared cars to accomodate the schedule. 13-14 might not be enough here, or at least not the way its structured but you wouldnt be able to push it too far past 16 IMO, provided the teams would be able to keep up. Even WRC, MotoGP and F1 have extended breaks throughout the year for the teams to recuperate.

Yep their extended breaks are our average break

sounds like our teams wanna be like school teachers
Old 6 Aug 2007, 05:42 (Ref:1982166)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think 14 rounds is not too bad, 16 would be better. There are other classes of racing out there, anybody who thinks there is not enough racing should perhaps get out and have a look at GT's and the rest of the CAMS series. Of course there are many other classes of racing to watch as well. Rallying, Speedway and the Superbikes etc are well worth looking at.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1982281)   #25
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its just so random at the moment...

I'm a fan but went to the V8Supercar site and was surprised that Sydney was still two weekends away.... QLD seemed like ages ago.

Maybe if it was more structured the fans would be happier.

Random thoughts...
Sprint Series Running Mid-Feb to June 10 rounds (20 weeks.)
Enduro Series Running Mid-Sep onwards Every 3 weeks - 4 rounds Sandown , Bathurst, Indy and Clipsal as the finale...

Crown the Sprint series champion; the enduro champion and an overall champion.

Oh and let some of the Dev Series cars compete in the enduros...