Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 19 Sep 2002, 06:33 (Ref:383883)   #901
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All they need is a bit of practice. My dad took me to a carpark when I first started out to get a feel for the car. Then, we used to go back there after every performance upgrade.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 17:19 (Ref:388976)   #902
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how are things guys?
I managed my best final position on monday, 4th in the A final, after qualifying 7th. My car just didn't seem to have the speed of the faster guys though, think I need a motor skim.
I'm using lay down rear shocks now and it makes the back end very stable, although I can flick it out for the tightest corners. The front end needs some tweaking though, it seems to turn in then understeer a bit then turn in again, like it's waving from side to side, although on the fastest corners it's pretty planted.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 06:32 (Ref:389522)   #903
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm still using my Mission, the Losi driver hasn't finished building the XXXS yet.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 22:43 (Ref:391548)   #904
Herminator
Racer

How's the mission going? how's your racing? I'm getting to the point where I hardly crash all night, just the accasional run over a corner dot, causing the car to take off, although last week that was only when I stood far away on the rostrum from an akward part of the track. I just need to get some more speed, hopefully a little tuning will help this week and then by next week my motor wil be skimmed and tuned. I@m thinking I'll sell my Pro 3 soon, I need the money to spend on the lab and my pc, it's nice to have a spare car but indoors it's not so important and having over £200 in car sitting doing nothing is a bit of a waste. I'll keep a look out for a cheap Losi though, or another Lab. Don't wanna sell your Losi do you?
Old 30 Sep 2002, 06:41 (Ref:391823)   #905
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Naa, I'vs still got to get it back from this Team driver! I'm meant to be picking it up at the last Schumacher BTCC round at the new Stafford track this comming Sunday.

I have decided to enter the mod class for this round so I ordered a Reedy Ti 12x2 and hope it arrives before the weekend.............
Old 5 Oct 2002, 20:55 (Ref:396498)   #906
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Got the XXXS on Friday - too late to race it at the local club but perfect to use tomorrow at the last Schumacher BTCC round. This Losi is silky smooth, and I now have some proper imperial allen drivers so I can take my cars apart!

I haven't got the Reedy Ti yet, but I've borrowed a 12x3 from my brother, its a Trinity D4.............

Any news on the racing front up there?
Old 5 Oct 2002, 21:38 (Ref:396525)   #907
Herminator
Racer

I found out why I was so darn slow, only after two rounds of qualifying thinking something was drasticly wrong. My motor needed a clean out, for some reason I've managed to forget about it for the last few weeks, and it's been pretty dusty, the motor was filthy inside. Last qualifier was miles better but I wasn't used to the power, I only just managed to qualify for the A final, with 9 cars it was a bit too busy too. The car wasn't setup right, so I'm still off the pace, managed 8th in the end, with everyone finishing, and me and the 9th guy both lost almost identicle amounts of time with a problem, he lost just over a minute at the start and I lost the same amount half way through, ended up 6 seconds apart. The motor is getting skimmed and new brushes put in so it should be good this week. Just the setup needs work.
At the moment I'm a little confused, the back end will swing out and then catch itself, the week before I was running the same setup and it would do the same thing aswell as the front end understeering inconsistantly through a corner, so it would turn in then loose grip, then turn in again and maybe even loose grip again, like it was waving around. I'm thinking I need to lean the front shocks over but I'm not sure.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 09:59 (Ref:397382)   #908
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Thats a strange effect...........I've never seen that before.

Had an awful day yesterday, I got interference in almost every run except the final. my best qualifying result was only 9 laps!
I think it was the combination of my Hitec reciever and my brothers motor...... I ended up using a borrowed Futaba 40mHz reciever and a 2nd hand BRM 12x2 from a Schumacher team driver (only £15 and just been skimmed/new brushes!).

Started 9th in Modified D final (9 runners.......I was last overall!) and by the 3rd corner I was second. This BRM motor is ballistic!!!!!

As Stafford is a big, abrasive track, I dumped in the last minute and had very worn rear tyres.
I finished 4th which I was happy with as I just didn't have enough time to set up the XXXS properly.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 13:25 (Ref:400281)   #909
Herminator
Racer

what was different from normal to give you so much interference? I've rarely strugled from interference, with my cheap radio, only the occasional bad spots at some tracks or times when I suspect people in the pits turn their radios on.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 06:28 (Ref:400903)   #910
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I've found that for some reason, I get interference from Hitec recievers, no matter wether they are 27 or 40mHz. The motor had capacitors on it, so that shouldn't have been a problem. I'got a Novak XXL on order so I hope this solves it.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 13:38 (Ref:401148)   #911
Herminator
Racer

I use futaba, since they're probably the most popular in rc aircraft and thats why I got my radio originaly. Not to alarm you but it could be the speedo. A guy at my club recently had problems with interferance and after weeks of trying to rearrange electrics and swapping radios he found it was the speedo. A fet had been damaged and this was causing odd electrical signals, it was one of the brake fets I think too, so he didnt notice it as much, the car was just constantly erratic around the track, but drivable.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 12:22 (Ref:401992)   #912
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Since I got this Futaba reciever, everythings been fine.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 06:25 (Ref:409028)   #913
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Quick update: no sign of this Novak reciever........

Painted up a Protoform 156, white, pink and metallic blue. Pics soon.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 10:17 (Ref:413898)   #914
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
It just could last could it?

One of the pins holding the MIP CVDs together fell out leaving me with 3 wheel drive. I didn't want to stretch or break the belt, so I didn't race. I did have a go on a new XRay T1 Evo 2. Not bad, but its so new it didn't have a good setup.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 17:19 (Ref:414090)   #915
Herminator
Racer

I had the same problem with my cvd last sunday, now I'm using a body clip cut down to about the right length. I'm still strugling for a good setup, it's kinda annoying me now. I didn't even make the A final last week it was so bad, I started 4th in the B, was last after a lap or two then managed to win it, I was taking no prisoners when overtaking though, not helped by an unstable car.
I'm looking into getting a setup board now, help get an acurate setup, I've had some bad tweak recently.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 09:05 (Ref:414528)   #916
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I'm going to get the MIP rebuild kit, so I have spares!

I've got the Fastrax Millenium Setup System - £59.99 but not too accurate. Hudy do the best setup systems, but they cost too.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 11:39 (Ref:420640)   #917
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
XXXS still not fixed, looks like I'm going to have to dust off the Mission.........

Hows your RC Lab Herm?
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:15 (Ref:420947)   #918
Herminator
Racer

I've found my main problem withthe lab is super aggresive steering, caused by a lot of steering movement and no linkage options to reduce it, I'm going to drill a hole closer to the center of the steering horn for tomorrow, I should have a better solution in a couple weeks though.

I just arranged to buy a load of second hand stuff for a pretty good price. It includes a Losi XXX-S with graphite chassis and titanium turnbuckles, Vantage 2 radio with spare reciever (the main reason I though of buying this lot) an M-Tronics M Cubed (used once) a couple of good twelve turn motors, a P2K2 motor, a Poly Butler pit box (£50 at modelsport) a charger (think it's a pro peak super nova) a couple sets of V-Max 2400's and various spare bits, wheels and tyres. All for £350 plus postage, which will cost a fair bit. Once I get it I'll go through everything and sell what I don't want.
Thank goodness for student overdrafts and selling my Pro 3 for a decent sum of money.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 11:15 (Ref:421302)   #919
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
£350!?!?!?

Christ, thats an amazing deal!

Lets see:

Losi, £210. Graphite chassis, £40. M cubed esc, £150. Vantage 2, £250.

Thats £650 already!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 14:26 (Ref:421426)   #920
Herminator
Racer

Hence I'm pretty chuffed I've been pretty good at finding nice second hand deals lately, I could sell my RC Lab without the servo I got with it and still get more than I paid for it.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 01:02 (Ref:421856)   #921
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've just built my first RC car!!!! it's a bog standars Tamiya TL-01 chassis with long arm suspension and it has the Beams Integra bodyshell which is the proverbial dogs!

what i need now is some help in finding out what i should purchase to turn my car into a rapid machine whilst keeping costs fairly low (it cost me £245 just for the car, radio gear, charger etc!)
Old 5 Nov 2002, 07:38 (Ref:421974)   #922
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Herm: I wish I could find deals like that. the only car or sale at my club is a RC10 B2 for £45............

Kistof: Congrats, you have made a good choice. The long-arm suspension is worth over £50 on its own!
The next thing to get is ballraces. Not sure how much now, but mine cost about £30 when I had a TL-01 many years ago.

Then you need an electronic speed control, then better batteries, then a better charger, then a faster motor, then a........................(its like a money-pit: money goes in, sometimes speed comes out!).
Old 6 Nov 2002, 00:07 (Ref:422636)   #923
Herminator
Racer

lab was ebay, other deal was back of this months rrci, the day it arrived I searched for a vantage or 3vc, coz I really need a computerised radio.

The first thing I would get is an electronic speed control, you'll get loads more run time, more speed and it will be easier to drive, can get a cheap one for about £20 that will handle a stock motor, but I'd reccomand somthing in the £40 range and preferably not M-Tronics, they still like to blow up.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 01:05 (Ref:422661)   #924
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought an electronic speed control would end up on the list! I didn't realise the suspension was that exciting!!!! i've got a decent charger already it set me back an extra £20 when i bought the car!
Old 6 Nov 2002, 18:00 (Ref:423111)   #925
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, I'd definitely reccomend an ESC, you don't get any wear on them.

PS Herm, I should be able to say in next few days when the legend will be re-appearing...