Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Feb 2001, 22:28 (Ref:63723)   #1
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Oi!

This is mainly aimed at the realtively new members of this forum, like Larsen, hunttheshunt, Sodemo, vauxhall, etc. (mostly because I know all about the older members exploits )

I know some of you have been to see touring cars 'in the flesh' - but have you even been to see anything else? F1? Club racing?

If not - tell me why.. What attracted you to touring cars in the first place?

If you're planning outings to see touring cars this year, why not try getting out to see some other forms of racing as well? There are so many forms of club racing that are as exciting, or possibly more so than BTC.. I'd recommend Classic Saloons, Minis( ) - anything really..

Give 'em your support!
Old 9 Feb 2001, 22:42 (Ref:63737)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Y
mostly because I know all about the older members exploits
Now you're just trying to make me feel old aren't you!!!!!

Old 9 Feb 2001, 22:54 (Ref:63746)   #3
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toca 1 (PSX game) got me into touring cars
97' was the first video i had.

and i really really got into touring cars when:

i crashed my bike (i was goin' fast ok .. OI! pack laffin')
and i was on my bed at home with bandages everywhere, watchin' the 98' doinnington race on my portable.
WHAT A RACE! if it was'nt for that race or my crash i proberly wouldent like touring cars.
..and its the only type of motorsport i like, though i did go to a truck race at donnington (very very cold), but nothing else intrests me!

(B.T.W) i had to go hospital with my hand as it swelled up to 257 X's its normal size
Old 9 Feb 2001, 22:58 (Ref:63750)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You were at the trucks too ? They were mega weren't they! You could have popped over and bought me a pint if you were cold...
Old 9 Feb 2001, 23:33 (Ref:63761)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well I first was interested in F1 when i was about 5, (1986) and i remember Mansell's Tyre blowup at Australia that year.
When i was younger, computers was my first love, though thankfully now i have passed that stage.
I only used to watch F1 on and off and i didn't start to watch it "hardcore" till about 94' when Hill was in the running.

I actually went to my first race meeting In 1989, at the Birmingham Superprix, and again in 1990'.
Then in 1992, My Dad aquired some free tickets to a sportscar race at Silverstone, i still have the programme along with the B'ham Superprix ones! - You should see the names - Aiello in F3000 etc.

Then a lean period when i just watched motorsport (F1) at Home. It was only until 97' when i heard murray Walker commentating on these saloon cars, and being an f1 fan my Fav team was Willaims, and I never knew Williams ran a saloon car. i also never knew that Murray Walker did anything other than F1.

In many ways i suppose its down to williams and M Walker that i am a touring car fan now.

Also it was the arrival of the TOCA games on the PSX which made me go back trackside. I then attended my first meeting since 92 in 1998 at oulton PK for the BTCC. if there is one memory me and my Dad will shart it is this. Standing on the inside of Lodge corner and seeing the cars brake from 135Mph to 70Mph for the corner. I had to lift my Dad's jaw off the ground for him, (he did likewise for me).

Since then i went to almost all the 1999 rounds of the BTCC, went to the RAC Rally of GB in 1999, the 2000 British GP and a few rounds of the 2000 BTCC.

i also attempt to take part in as much Motorsprt as i can. I do alot of Karting with my University, have gone on that Ian Taylor Thruxton ferrari race school thing. I also plan on obtaining a Go-kart of my own, sometime!
Old 9 Feb 2001, 23:46 (Ref:63764)   #6
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess my first love was bikes and FFord, I used to go to Lydden a lot and watch whatever was on, Rallycross cars through to Grasstrack Bikes.

My main motorsport interest for many years has been F1. But essentially if it has an engine and is in a race I'll watch.

Then came my all time hero, Mr Mansell, racing in touring cars in '98. I had watched the odd race on telly, but I just had to go see my hero race in the flesh. Sadly I didn't get to see him at his best but I was hooked on touring cars.

This year will see me at a number of race meetings, Including Powertour and Toca tour. I hope to see a Formula BOSS race too, that is a big bang for yer buck!

All this as well as getting up a 4 in the morning to watch F1 in Ozz!
Old 10 Feb 2001, 02:05 (Ref:63807)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I remember Ayrton Senna in F1, but it was the first TOCA game that got me involved in the BTCC. I didn't even know the BTCC existed before then.

God 1998 seems ages ago to me!
Old 10 Feb 2001, 09:52 (Ref:63860)   #8
vauxhall
Veteran

Yeh TOCA1 the game was the only reason i found out about the sport.

MR west said ages ago that he wanted to appeal to the youth,
so i think he should get intouch wiht ''CODEMASTERS'' and tell them to make some more games.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 10:27 (Ref:63864)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definetly, but this time privateers would have to be in the game as well.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 13:21 (Ref:63903)   #10
vauxhall
Veteran

Yeh indies and class b would be good
Old 10 Feb 2001, 13:32 (Ref:63907)   #11
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a strange world we live in.

Discovering Touring Cars via a video game is a bit like suddenly finding out about cows after eating a burger....y'know the things.....those big black and white things that go MOO.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 15:20 (Ref:63933)   #12
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toca 1 did it 4 me and after that i watched a few races on the telly.Toca 2 followed and when i beat every1 in my town i got really into it.my first race was at oulten park in 98 and i have been everytime since.i reckon that they should make TOCA 4 on the PS2 and make it only british.u should have a career mode where u have 2 start in formula ford and work yer way up through the championships till u get 2 touring cars.that would be so cool.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 15:52 (Ref:63943)   #13
vauxhall
Veteran

..That dont sound too bad actually knowlesy59, i think it should only be british aswell, i've told 'em to make it just british aswell via
e-mail: custservice@codemasters.com
E-mail 'em and tell em your idea!!!

-----------------

does anyone have a BMP e-mail addy?
Old 10 Feb 2001, 16:12 (Ref:63949)   #14
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB
I guess my first love was bikes and FFord, I used to go to Lydden a lot and watch whatever was on, Rallycross cars through to Grasstrack Bikes.

My main motorsport interest for many years has been F1. But essentially if it has an engine and is in a race I'll watch.

Then came my all time hero, Mr Mansell, racing in touring cars in '98. I had watched the odd race on telly, but I just had to go see my hero race in the flesh. Sadly I didn't get to see him at his best but I was hooked on touring cars.

This year will see me at a number of race meetings, Including Powertour and Toca tour. I hope to see a Formula BOSS race too, that is a big bang for yer buck!

All this as well as getting up a 4 in the morning to watch F1 in Ozz!
Apart from you and I no one really rates Mansell in a touring car, I didn't get to the 98 Donnnigton race but was it as exciting as the Tv suggested and did the crowd go mad when he got the lead???
Old 10 Feb 2001, 16:44 (Ref:63958)   #15
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
me is gonna give em me idea now vauxhall la,dya rekon theyll pay me if they use it???????i could do wif the cash 2nite cause i wanna go out..
Old 10 Feb 2001, 17:42 (Ref:63979)   #16
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard
Apart from you and I no one really rates Mansell in a touring car, I didn't get to the 98 Donnnigton race but was it as exciting as the Tv suggested and did the crowd go mad when he got the lead???
short answer was YES - it was something special as the crowd was very large and vert pro Mansell.
BUT the were even more cheers from the more 'usual racegoers' when John Cleland passed him, then David Leslie and did I scream when Derek Warwick did as well.
Old 10 Feb 2001, 22:43 (Ref:64026)   #17
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The crowds at Donington that day were unbelievable. It's a shame we don't get that many people at touring car races all the time! There was a little bit of me saying "they are only here for Mansell - true touring cars fans can't get near the pits" but it certainly was a good day. The entertainment provided by Mansell, Cleland and Warwick was good.

I did manage to get a picture of Mansell... (after getting lots of pictures of people's arms, heads, autograph books...)

Old 10 Feb 2001, 22:58 (Ref:64030)   #18
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First got intereseted in Tourer's around 95 from wathing it on TV.

Went to my first TOCA meeting at Thruxton in 97 and absolutlley loved the experience!! Me and my Brother sat on the embankment getting sunburnt and eating our picnic and having a beer or four (My brother was driving, I got trollied) and watched the racing.

The only real life motor racing I had witnessed before that was the 92 Grand Prix and rather wet F3 meeting at Silverstone.... oh yes and that Grand prix when TGF won in the pits (Sham).

It really opened my eyes as to what Motorsport was really all about, and I have been borring my relatives and friends with home videos ever since!!
Old 11 Feb 2001, 00:53 (Ref:64066)   #19
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always interested in cars from a young age and watched F1 occasionally. But it was when i got the 1990 review video for xmas that i got into the BTCC. 4 years of watching from the armchair later, i went to my first BTCC meeting at Knockhill. If i wasn't hooked already, i certainly was now! Saw that Tarquini roll and the Volvo estates in full flight. Since then i went in 95, 98, 99 and 2000. Hoping to see more this year now i have a car and a decent job. A nightrace would be something else altogether.
Old 11 Feb 2001, 09:30 (Ref:64128)   #20
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget Silverstones idea of night racing - Snetterton is the place to go.

Mind you I don't see what everyone likes about night races - I feel cheated by them. I mean look at the 2 Silverstone meets. The tickets cost the same but you only get one day instead of two when it's the night race.
It is near enough impossible to tell the support race cars apart until you see them close and side on. The tourers aren't that much better even with the lights on the windscreen, between the wheels or on the aerial.
Oops sorry - on my high horse again.....
Old 11 Feb 2001, 09:35 (Ref:64131)   #21
vauxhall
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
The tourers aren't that much better even with the lights on the windscreen, between the wheels or on the aerial.

..the light in the wheels are actually the brake discs glowing because of the heat
Old 11 Feb 2001, 11:30 (Ref:64155)   #22
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by vauxhall
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
The tourers aren't that much better even with the lights on the windscreen, between the wheels or on the aerial.

..the light in the wheels are actually the brake discs glowing because of the heat
I think you might find that Les is referring to that fact that some of the Class B cars had lights running underneath them, not the brake discs!

Old 11 Feb 2001, 11:48 (Ref:64158)   #23
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
being only 16 means that i was only into formula1 cos thats what was on tv the most. i would sometimes see tourers when i was younger and not understand what they where. however as i got older (and wiser) i started to realise just how boring formula1 was cos of the lack of passing. And stopped watching it. Then i got my psx and there was no coming back all i had was racing games like gran turismo, then came toca 2 and it was love at first site i havent looked back since. i go to oulton when i can (costs a bit tho) and havent seen an f1 race for over a year!
Old 11 Feb 2001, 14:32 (Ref:64187)   #24
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me-always liked Formula One, and then got into Touring Cars after seeing it advertised on the Beeb after a Grand Prix. Never looked back since. Go to BTCC, been to a couple of PowerTour meets (love the minis), a couple of Brit Gp's, but the BTCC is still simply the best!
Old 11 Feb 2001, 14:40 (Ref:64191)   #25
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
Quote:
but the BTCC is still simply the best!
DAMN RIGHT