Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:58 (Ref:1528729)   #1
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Midland's Potential

Now that we have more information on midland's potencial do you still think they are condemned to the back of the grid??

today in barcelona they were 1sec. slower than the best, 0.3 slower than red bulls car.

I think we have to wait to see how much they can improve, but knowing that they began testing later than the other teams and seeing how much they have improved ( 2weeks ago they were 4-5sec. slower than wiliams and mclarens), I can see them fighting regurarly for points.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:10 (Ref:1528731)   #2
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that they would love to be fighting for points but give them a year and they will do it
Old 22 Feb 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1528763)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For this Year, given the organisational problems they had (and probably stil have), it's hard to predict a different season from Jordan 2005.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1528786)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agree with climb here - once they've got a season under their belt so to speak it'll be easier to judge but this year they still will be jordan-esque
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1528829)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The team seems to be pleased with progress so far.It's not a bad looking car,and all those winglets lead me to believe that it's spent a fair old time in the wind tunnel.It's got a decent engine and willing drivers.You never know,you just never know.http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=110077
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1528882)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they will have a terrible season, in testing the car doesn't seem lightyears off the pace like the Jordan and Minardi always were which can only be a good sign. Providing they can maintain that speed and aren't dropped in the first lap by 3 seconds ala Jordan they should have a productive year.

It's also hard to imagine the Toyota engine not being reliable for them and in the steady hands of Monteiro they should be able to scrape a few points during the season.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1528917)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would it be cliché if I say "It's too early for predictions." ??? I guess I have made this comment in about ten other threads...
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1528921)   #8
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine that Midland will have better season than last year. Ultimatley testing times are not a reliable indicator of form and seem to be used by some of the smaller teams as a means of generating some positive publicity. Also, it needs to be considered that although Midland have a new car and a good engine, other teams will have also progressed as well as their being the threat posed by Toro Rosso.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1528992)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Midland should be closer to the pace of the 'big 8' than they were before - unfortunately STR are likely to make even bigger strides, especially if Liuzzi can hit form and the V10 situation works in their favour. Reliability may work in their favour to get them a handful of points.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1529171)   #10
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Midland may still be near the back of the grid, but they will be a lot closer to the back of the midfeild, infact i expect them to get at least 4/5 points finishes this year.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1529230)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think we need to be careful about ascribing more than one, maybe two, points finishes to these kinds of teams (barring exceptional circumstances).

Ferrari, Honda, Mclaren, Renault, Toyota, Williams.

There are 12 contenders battling for 8 spots already.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1529242)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think Dutton's point is sound - Midland will have to have a seriously better car than last year to even move a couple of spots up the grid...

With SA popping up, Midland can be sure of not being at the back, as I suspect that they will be behind the STR's for a while at least.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1529273)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Would it be cliché if I say "It's too early for predictions." ??? I guess I have made this comment in about ten other threads...
Without idle speculation and predictions this forum would have about 5 posts during the off-season.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1529282)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
And not much more on-season, .
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1529292)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Without idle speculation and predictions this forum would have about 5 posts during the off-season.
That prediction is just idle speculation.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1529296)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull seems to have the financials, resources and most importantly, the talented people to keep the development of the car at a rate faster than Midland.

The strength of Midland lies in it's engine, which seems powerful and reliable. The car would be decent, if not as well-rounded to drive hard as the top teams. But there are so many quality front teams, it may still push a competitive Midland to the back.

They may score a couple of points in the first few races out of reliability, but unless the BS are superior to Michelins, i can't see Midland being ahead of RBR.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1529383)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Nothing against idle speculation and predictions - otherwise this one wouldn't be open - so that's interesting how people can develop singular theories.

My post was only an observation over a common fact. But what's more interesting, is that a moderator's posts seems to sound like censoring or warning to most, instead just a commentary.

Maybe new tags would help like [Mod] or something...

About just 5 posts, during off or on-season... it's a sad definition to the level of our member's posts here.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1529389)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ah, no no!

You can have very good posts that remain predictions and speculation.

The reality is not many of us "know" anything.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1529399)   #19
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see that Midland have really made an effort this season regarding their car, and now that they have 2 decent drivers (sorry, but I don't rate Karthikeyan) they may do better this season. Or should do better at least.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1529413)   #20
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well. I don't expect too much this year. I ifeel, they'll be back-enders (so to speak). But, I do expect improvements, and I shall not be surprised if they can be competitive backmarkers.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1529510)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Well. I don't expect too much this year. I ifeel, they'll be back-enders (so to speak). But, I do expect improvements, and I shall not be surprised if they can be competitive backmarkers.
"competetive backmarkers" what are they then?
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1529531)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Instead of finding themselves in the midfield once every 19 races, they now experience it twice a season.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:33 (Ref:1529537)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I'd consider it to mean being competitive with other back markers (i.e. the Jordan-Minardi battle meaning Minardi were competitive backmarkers).
Old 23 Feb 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1529667)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yep, minardi / jordan (or this year SA / midland) will be one...will toyota be dropping back there too...?
Old 23 Feb 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1529671)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Unless one of the other teams has some really serious issues,i can only see SA as the obvious backmarker.None of the times for any of the teams have been that conclusive in testing (even Midland got to within almost a second of Renault) so it's still quite open as far as i'm concerned.