Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 00:21 (Ref:1044035)   #1
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Potential Scoop

According to WSFM's 8.30 news, Craig Lowndes is leaving FPR for another Ford team. I didn't hear the whole story, but I may just have heard the story of the year! I hope it's true for Glenn's sake!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 00:38 (Ref:1044040)   #2
Nevermind
Rookie

Nevermind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Sports Tonight last night they reported him as looking around, when they interviewed him, all Craig said was he was looking at what opportunities were open. Garth Tander on the other hand said he's looking around at both sides of the fence (blue or red), and ST said it was confirmed he's not with GRM next year.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 00:44 (Ref:1044042)   #3
Seton Fanatic
Racer

I'm sure we will find out more as the weekend develops.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 00:48 (Ref:1044044)   #4
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lowndes is still a contracted ford driver (till end of next year I think)...Then he will be looking Red or Blue...

Wasn't Seton looking around as well ?

David
Old 23 Jul 2004, 00:51 (Ref:1044048)   #5
Seton Fanatic
Racer

I heard on another forum that David Flint wanted both drivers to stay! Hard to read into who is telling the truth!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1044056)   #6
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He may well want both drivers to stay.

Doesn't mean that both drivers want to stay though.

Craig would be silly not to look around and see what options are there for him on the blue side.

Not sure what Glenn's options would be though.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1044061)   #7
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Some have said HRT; others DJR. HRT would be far more likely for Glenn than DJR, given his previous history with Dick.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1044065)   #8
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That would be a big leap for Holden to take one of Ford's stalwarts of the past 20 years.

I'm not sure why Holden would want to take the risk.

Unlikely, but nothing's impossible though.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:53 (Ref:1044071)   #9
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if both drivers leave, where will that leave FPR?
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:57 (Ref:1044072)   #10
TSK
Rookie

TSK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05
At least with no-one driving the cars, their engines might be more reliable....maybe.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 01:58 (Ref:1044073)   #11
Codger
Rookie

Codger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good question W05, what self respecting ambitious driver with any credibility would go there based on results. They'd have to offer mega-dollars to get a top driver.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 02:36 (Ref:1044084)   #12
Archer
Veteran

Archer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it stands at the moment 2005 will see the following:

888 Lowndes / Wilson
FPR Seton / Menu

Radisich = OS 888 drive

if FPR loose Seton as well (no they wont loose hit to HRT because Todd has re-signed) you may well see a Radisich / Menu FPR team.
I support (V8): Holden, Holden Racing Team, Perkins Motorsport, #888, #2, #22, #11, #7, #3, #34, #51, #55, #33, #88, #18, #4, #5 & #1. I support (F1): Williams Toyota, Red Bull Renault, #15, #16, #23, #9 & #10.

RIP Peter Brock and Mark Porter
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1044119)   #13
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05
Up a creek without a paddle? and serious egg on Fords face again.
If it happens, Ford Aus should be asking some serious questions of Prodrive, all the good stuff was put in place by Ford and it appears they are failing to deliver.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:20 (Ref:1044123)   #14
DKGandBH
Veteran

Kieron, were FPR "delivering" before ProDrive came on to the scene ?

David.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:23 (Ref:1044124)   #15
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My own thoughts on this after hearing the Flint interview that Lowndes will leave (to SBR) and Seton is 50/50 to leave (team unknown).

Flint said they have not spoken to either driver about next year *yet*. Given the hand grenade motors Flint may not be game to.

Another thought on Lowndes to Holden is that $700,000 + might be too high for most teams.

I hope they both can move to *better* teams as the cars they have been given this year are rubbish.(subject to either getting pole @ Winton)

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:30 (Ref:1044130)   #16
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Seton Fanatic
Some have said HRT; others DJR. HRT would be far more likely for Glenn than DJR, given his previous history with Dick.
Without looking into it tooooo much I would also agree that HRT would be the better option, as Glenn was a good mate of Skaifes years ago and maybe still is! But saying that I dont believe all these rumours untill the fat lady sings!

By the way,I also heard the same report on the radio about Craig and he said himself also that, "We want to win" With only one decent Ford team out there, I dont think Russel will give up his seat too quick! Maybe there might be a good vacant Holden seat looming? I'm sure Garry Rogers would have him if Garth "did" leave GRM?

THIS IS ALL ONLY SPECULATION NOT RUMOURS!

How many months to March did ya say?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:31 (Ref:1044131)   #17
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DKGandBH

David.
Prodrive is FPR... FPR where not around before prodrive, becuase prodrive own FPR.. And FPR is only the sponsership name(or front name) for what is effectly prodrive racing!!!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:33 (Ref:1044132)   #18
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by retro
I hope they both can move to *better* teams as the cars they have been given this year are rubbish.(subject to either getting pole @ Winton)
With Seton p18 and Lowndes p31 with 10 mins to go first practice this looks pretty unlikely.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:46 (Ref:1044141)   #19
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Craig, ...run...do not walk...to the nearest exit....
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1044142)   #20
DKGandBH
Veteran

So FPR (Prodrive) bought GSR ?

David.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1044147)   #21
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glenn could restart GSR with a Holden?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 06:04 (Ref:1044161)   #22
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glenn will not be going to HRT. Todd Kelly is staying there. I wonder if this 'new' Holden team could consist of Tander and Seton. Radisich is looking good for FPR if Lowndes leaves i reckon.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 06:18 (Ref:1044170)   #23
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Ingall has another year of his SBR contract to go (after which he will be moved aside, possibly to see Winterbottom return so SBR can get a return on their investment).

There are questions to be asked of Prodrive, and they're underperforming, but I dare anyone to put money that they won't be a force within the next 3 years.

Remember HRT in the early days. They were an absolute shambles until they were re-organised, given a good cash injection and some stability, plus a committed young driver. They've been either champions or front-runners ever since.

Prodrive have won nearly every championship they've entered at some stage. This one's going to take time, but they will win. Ditto Triple 8.

The funny thing is, Craig is probably enduring the worst year that Prodrive/FPR will encounter - ever. If he hangs on he just might reap the rewards in the years to come. But nobody could blame him if he went, and there's nothing to say that he wouldn't do well at Triple 8.

I just can't see Seton switching to Holden. I know anything's possible, but he's been a Ford man for so long, and his father before him.

Still, in the early 90s Holden investigated bringing Glenn over to the Red side. Two things stood in the way: tobacco money and Bo. Glenn couldn't move without both of them, and Holden were, for obvious corporate reasons, prohibited from accepting tobacco money, and they refused to take Bo into the team.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1044191)   #24
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DKGandBH

David.
No, they didn't exist prior to Prodrive but I know what you mean. 00 Motorsport didn't deliver neither.

Ford put a concerted effort into FPR compared to 00 and with the appointment of world renowned Prodrive should have expected more, I'm of the belief that if Ford had drafted Larko or even Ellery in rather than Prodrive, we would have seen a better performance.

Prodrive want to reinvent the wheel by themselves due to pride, meanwhile due to this, Ford arn't looking to flash, luckily SBR know what they are doing and are flying the Ford flag, without them Prodrive would have even more pressure to perform.

I wonder if Ford have any performance clauses in the contract?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1044340)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Archer
As it stands at the moment 2005 will see the following:
888 Lowndes / Wilson
FPR Seton / Menu
Combo is right, just be careful of the timing, it may be there sooner than you think