Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1632930)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Preseason hype about four top teams. What happened???

There was great anticipation for this season largely because it was believed that we would have four strong teams (Ferrari, Renault, McLaren, and Honda) compete for wins and the championships. Instead it appears we are getting a Renault rout with only Ferrari occassionally challenging Renault. McLaren is the third best team right now but it is a weak third and Honda, while currently ranked 4th in the WCC standings, is in an apparent freefall and may not even finish in the top 5 if BMW continues its progress and Williams can improve its reliability. Why were the preseason prognostications so wrong???
Old 12 Jun 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1632938)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because it is dangerous to read into testing!

I think the season started off as expected, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault all looked on pace-ish and Honda were a little behind.

But after that, the development has seen some fall behind. And pre-season testing can never account for that.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1632986)   #3
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few of your observations VT.

'Anticipation'? - 'It was believed'? - 'Why were the preseason prognostications so wrong'???

Simple really - hype sells mags/papers and keeps the writers/ in loo paper and pays their children's school fees, fills up column inches and makes me cynical.

Your 'educated guess'/ prognostics for the season's outcome, is probably as good as, if not better than, theirs.

No certs in life, except death and taxes. Someone said that once, and they were right.

Right! Off soap box and back to the future!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1634425)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simply put, it's no good winning the Winter GP if you don't keep it up later!

I remember Ron Dennis saying that Ferrari would be quicker in testing only for then McLaren dominate with Prost and Senna...
Old 14 Jun 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1634445)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Of the teams you mentioned, I only think it is Honda that have actually under achieved to any degree. With their vast resources, the extensive testing they put in, in the off season, and the arrival of Rubens, all added up to a successful year. I expect improvement in the 2nd half for this team. Button's performance has ben a bit of a mystery though, as RB has come into form of late.

On the other hand, Renault has overachieved; I think many anticipated some chemistry would be lost with Alonso going to McLaren in '07. That chemistry may not be what it was but FA is strong and the car is bullet proof. McLaren's performance is about what I expected, with both drivers somewhat distracted by the off track nonsense (of signing FA and announcing it immediately) and some unflattering comments from RD. I get the impression that they both want out.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1634458)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What knowlesy said. The hype is always due to pre-season testings, and more than often they prove to be wrong.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1634513)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As ever, Ferrari didn't really test alongside the other teams much, so the impression of how they are doing is always formed by estimation based on how bullish they are. This year they were very bullish; confidence which only looks misplaced due to Renault being unfazed by the expected imbalance due to Alonso's leaving.

McLaren looked to be a little behind the pace, and so it's proved. Honda have a record of flattering to deceive in pre-season testing, and a fair few of us fell for it. Again.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1634526)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread title
Preseason hype about four top teams. What happened???
Everyone read it.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1634574)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And believed it!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1634650)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And then discuss it and complain about it !
Old 19 Jun 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1637288)   #11
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's the problem - they are the top 4 teams!

okay, the gap may be bigger than everyone expected but Alonso has just been exceptional.

hey, take him and schumacher out of the equation and you'd have only 9 points covering the top 4 drivers!
Old 19 Jun 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1637320)   #12
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame though - it was shaping up to be the closest season in ages.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1637322)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
hey, take him and schumacher out of the equation and you'd have only 9 points covering the top 4 drivers!
Do the FIA bag the points for all the positions that they finished in, then?