Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2001, 22:29 (Ref:63272)   #1
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering why there is so much hype about Fernando Alonso and I have been doing a little bit of research about it.
Not to bother you with a lot of numbers, he was karting world champion in 98, then Nissan Champion 99 and then 4th in the f3000 championship last year and yarayarayara. However all this results even though impressive are not the cause of the real hype. Alonso tried the the same F-nissan car, with which Gene won the F-nissan in 98, one week after this one had signed with Minardi that winter. This was the "first time ever" Alonso drove a proper race car, I mean with wings, big engine, suspensions, etc. and he only took 6 laps to beat the lap record hold by Gene with the same car. He carried out different episodes like this one, as being faster than Gene and Mazza the first time he tested the Minardi, finishing fourth in the f3000 championship last year almost without testing however two of the most impressive episodes besides the first I already mention were that he got the pole at Spa the first time he ever raced there but also in his first flying lap. This Winter during the Benetton test in Barcelona the first time he drove the benetton he completed a couple of dozen laps and inmediatly got the best time of all the drivers testing that morning. During the afternoon with better weather conditions Button was able to improve in two tenths Alonso's time but only after running more than a race distance of laps and inspite of that Alonso finished second on the timesheets that day.

So the questions that raise now are:
Would he be able to mantain all that hype created around him?
Why did he got a drive for Minardi instead of a better car?
What's gonna happen to Fisichella next year?
and Weber?
Where the hell is Minardi fan?
Old 7 Feb 2001, 22:59 (Ref:63280)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Next year,
Old 7 Feb 2001, 22:59 (Ref:63281)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Next year, Benneton will no longer exist - Renault will be making a full comback, car and all. I suspect that Alonso's ability is fully known and that his manager (isn't he the same guy that has something to do with Benneton?) alrady has a job lined up for him with Renault. Alonso will not make a splash this year, he will be pushing to get on the grid - but that won't matter. However, his efforts will be noted and there will be one helluva brawl for his services next year. The only way Minardi can keep Alonso next year is if they can land a works engine, and show some enticement for him to stay. I hate "next Senna" posts, so I will desist from making any comparison.
Minardi fan is overcome with grief - he suffers in silence, while I rave on about Fondmetal junk. When rejected drivers prefer to be test driving than to drive this car, surely they must know something.
Old 7 Feb 2001, 23:20 (Ref:63285)   #4
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

In my modest opinion current F1 drivers a lot worst than the "rejected" driver: Coulthard, Irvine, Burti, Bernoldi, Alesi, Mazzacane, Ralf, Raikonnen
As good, worst or not a fixed idea yet: JPM, Fisichella, Button, Heidfield, Verstappen, HHF, Trulli, Villenueve, Panis, Rubinho and Alonso
Only superior:TGF,Mika

Only reason why the "rejected" driver has not a drive this year, a certain english mafia "gentleman" needs the money to save his life from the mob.

PD: All the views expressed in this post are absolutely personal

Would HHF, Trulli or Rubinho drive for Minardi? I don't think so, why would the "rejected" driver say yes then Mr. Bounce

Old 8 Feb 2001, 00:14 (Ref:63296)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
The point I am making is that htey wouldn't because of the lack of a suitable engine that would get the car on the grid. I have been harping on this point for months. I am agreeing with you. Pedro made it perfectly plain that he wasn't interested in driving a MInardi because he knew that the car wouldn't even make the grid this year.
Old 8 Feb 2001, 00:22 (Ref:63301)   #6
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

I am sorry I guess I misundestood you, cause I agree with you entirely. Why if Briatore loaned Alonso to Minardi didn't do anything to get the supertecs to Minardi?
Old 8 Feb 2001, 06:02 (Ref:63356)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
We all thought that Minardi would get the Supertec this year, and there were cheers all round. From then on, things started to go south. If you look at the drivers for all the teams, many of them will remain in F1 next year, even if they swap with another team. Many of these moves will hinge on the performance of JPM, which will affect Bunsen, which in turn will affect both Fisi and Alonso. If you read the other Minardi threads, then you will understand how desperate we all feel Minardi is right now. Contrary to what Paul Stoddart says, I have serious doubts that Minardi will make the grid in Melbourne - everyone else has tested their engines and chassis and especially the tyres, and this team hasn't even started testing yet. And they are going to try to improve the Fondmetal. As the saying goes, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". If Alonso can put that Minardi onto the grid in Melbourne, you will be astonished what he will do next with the loaves and fishes. Then he wil probably walk on Albert Park lake for an encore.