Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 14 Mar 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1866312)   #26
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Tyres are the best way to give variety. For example, using different variations of tyres. If I could have, I would have tried soft fronts and medium rears throughout the last championship. I think thats a good thing, if you think it may put people off because of a lack of time, make each round 2 weeks long.
Tyres add an extra variable but it's one that's simple to control - I don't think 2 weeks for a round is a good idea though, if it's not kept as regular people may drift away from it - keeping the thread regularly updated helps too.

Quote:
And I agree that the hardest cars to get a fast time with are the faster cars, but would any of us really want to race any desperately-slow cars?
Slow cars - no thanks! Road cars - no thanks! But I also wouldn't be so keen on using group C or Prototypes - mainly because they're a real handfull and I only usually get one run at a circuit so getting a clean run is far more difficult. The JGTC cars work well, I suspect DTM would too, maybe GT or WRC as well.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1866359)   #27
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Just remember Mystery, this is the Gran Turismo Racing League, not Gran Turismo Rallying League.
You're keeping quiet on the subject of car choice

I'm definately not a fan of slow cars and not really road cars. Can quite understand Bert's reservations about Group C / WSCs. DTM would work although I'm not sure there would be many eligible cars, but they'd be quick enough. GTs would be interesting and varied. JGTC is good if you remove the Motul Z from the available cars.

I'm not too fussed actually about the tyre rules, but I can see why a single tyre rule would make life easier for those of us only getting 1 run in and I think this season has shown us that it is important to keep people interested all the way through the season as much as possible.

Essentially, what I'm seeing in this thread is that people do have their preferences when it comes to cars, circuits and tyres but actually I'm not sensing that much of this would affect the likelihood of anyone participating - the possible exception being the inclusion of slow or road cars.

I think Chatters can be rightly proud of the championship he organised as we're all looking at tinkering with the rules rather than anything really significant.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 12:05 (Ref:1866391)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
I think this season has shown us that it is important to keep people interested all the way through the season as much as possible.
I think this is a very important point - this series has worked because everyone who committed to it at the start has made a good effort to do as many rounds as possible and the thread has been kept fresh as people update it - keeping things ticking over has helped keep the interest levels up.

Quote:
Essentially, what I'm seeing in this thread is that people do have their preferences when it comes to cars, circuits and tyres but actually I'm not sensing that much of this would affect the likelihood of anyone participating - the possible exception being the inclusion of slow or road cars.

I think Chatters can be rightly proud of the championship he organised as we're all looking at tinkering with the rules rather than anything really significant.
Good points also we're not looking at massive changes so Chatters clearly did a good job with the original concept I don't think any of the changes talked about will prevent people entering so it's just about details now.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1866406)   #29
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't be that bothered if we all used the same car. Would anyone else?
Missed this one. I wouldn't be at all bothered actually. Fiddling about with car choice has wasted a couple of evenings during the season when I could have been shaving time off my lap times.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1866711)   #30
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Missed this one. I wouldn't be at all bothered actually. Fiddling about with car choice has wasted a couple of evenings during the season when I could have been shaving time off my lap times.
If we all use the same car for a race that is fine with me. I think it would make the series easier to enter too

We could change the car each week as well, to make it more interesting and to offer a fairer spread of handling and performance characteristcs that suit different drivers each time we race
Old 14 Mar 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1866793)   #31
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a good idea
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1866998)   #32
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree their. I have to say though I'm probably going to keep the single tyre rule next series, however if we had a single car series then allowing different tyres to be used would definately throw a spanner in the works. Could see some surprise winners coming through...

And a single car series would also be good for those not to experience in GT4, because they will only have to learn one car, not which one out of a group is the best overall.

Suggestions noted , what other ideas are there?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Mar 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1867009)   #33
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about a sort of time ballast thing, were the winner of the last round gets time added to his race?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1867198)   #34
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way to implement this. Things work well if they are kept single. I think this championship works very well, so less is needed to improve it.

If you are wanting more winners, the idea of rotating between many different cars during the championship would be good. For example, I would fancy my chances in a DTM-style car, but I wouldn't in a LMP car because it is a lot harder to maximise the performance of the car.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1874086)   #35
rugg_uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northampton
rugg_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

I've been following the thread with loads of interest, but haven't said much as I haven't any strong preferences. I just enjoy the challenge of the racing.

But, I just had an idea... What about a more segmented championship?
Maybe 3 or 5 races in DTM, with fixed tyres - then GTs with tyre choice, etc etc. It would hopefully give all of us a chance at our favourites and not have to suffer a whole season of something we are not so keen on.

Only an idea, but I'm sure you guys could develop it.
Best Regards
--
René
Old 24 Mar 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1874990)   #36
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill go on GT4 just now and ill try and make a list of the types of cars we can use.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1878954)   #37
safc_fan89
Veteran

You must have gone on for a very long stint...
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1879012)   #38
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Mar 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1880652)   #39
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
um GT4 save is gone... ????
Old 1 Apr 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1880949)   #40
safc_fan89
Veteran

Well it's Easter, start again! :P
Old 3 Apr 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1882547)   #41
safc_fan89
Veteran

I did a bit of testing last night, and I think doing races in cars like Aston Martins (just an example) on hard tyres would be good fun.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1882692)   #42
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Group B rally cars are very fun on tarmac circuits! They are grippy but they do understeer easily on fast corners, meaning that you have to try to control it. My favourite car for this is the Peugot 205 evo I, the evo II is probably better, the renault 5 Turbo is great fun too, both these cars are available from the start of the game, so newbies can jump right in!
Old 4 Apr 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1883205)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
...they do understeer easily on fast corners, meaning that you have to try to control it.
Move the brake bias to the rear to get the back to swing round - wind on the opposite lock and nail the throttle

RS200 all the way
Old 4 Apr 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1883388)   #44
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But not too far to the rear, or when you brake hard, the back end will swap quicker than you can say apex... or something.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1883593)   #45
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
quicker than you can say 'oh crap im not gonna make this'
Old 5 Apr 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1883878)   #46
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Well guys... Seeing as I got my PS2 this week, I've been hitting the tracks (mainly Mid-Field Raceway, Official Test Track of the Gran Turismo Racing League ), and I am ruling out normal road cars from the list of cars. Performance cars still have a chance, but right now I am leaning towards Le Mans Prototypes.

Your thoughts...?

P.S: Like the avatar?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1883967)   #47
safc_fan89
Veteran

What's wrong with normal road cars?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1883992)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Normal road cars =

Group B =

WRC =

DTM =

Group C =

LMP =

So that's wrapped that one up
Old 5 Apr 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1884000)   #49
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
What's wrong with normal road cars?
Too slow. Too sluggish. I want this series to be exciting, you know, fast cars, quick laps... Road cars just don't fit into that category.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 12:45 (Ref:1884101)   #50
safc_fan89
Veteran

What about 'challenging'? If we use LMP cars, then I would advise hard tyres at least. I thought the JGTC cars were too easy to drive. If I can reel off lap after lap at a similar pace then it is too easy!