Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2022688)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Imminent books that you'd recommend.

With christmas miles off/just around the corner (depending on whether you are a normal person or a shop) we will inevitably be deluged with new book releases.

So what books look good for 2007, aside from the usual Autocourse/Motocourse/Rallycourse?

Autobiography wise I know there is a Sir Jackie Stewart one imminent. I have just got the David Coulthard book which is very enjoyable indeed thus far, aside from the occasional JPM bitterness. Chris Walker also has one out soon.

Post christmas there is a book on the Lancia 037 a Brands Hatch history book and one of Monza I hear. Also some more Sportscar In Camera additions.

I will be avoiding the Hamilton books, of which there seems to be about ten, and any book that includes the immortal words "ITV Sport".

What stands out for you?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2022689)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You wondering what to buy me for Christmas?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 15:00 (Ref:2022699)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[selfish]No, putting out hints for potential buyers for me. [/selfish]
Old 25 Sep 2007, 15:27 (Ref:2022727)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ah, I see! But, surely, if you're looking for a present you really wanna be asking for something a little more like Daytona 500 tickets
Old 25 Sep 2007, 16:44 (Ref:2022787)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'll be picking up Jackie Stewart's book long before Xmas, because he's a doing a signing at Waterstone's in Newcastle, and the only thing you're allowed to get signed is his book!

I quite fancy the DC one, but might wait until it's out in paperback.

I've asked my girlfriend to get me that Gilles Villeneuve photographic biography thing.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2022849)   #6
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Stepney's "Red Mist" may sell a few.......
Old 25 Sep 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2022903)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Ah, I see! But, surely, if you're looking for a present you really wanna be asking for something a little more like Daytona 500 tickets
Very true, but I need books for the plane trip over.

Always thinking. *taps forehead with finger*
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2022968)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Richard Hammond has a book out, according to Amazon its about life before and after his terrifying high-speed car crash, I had a quick flick through it Smiths at the weekend it looks a good read.

No dobut the Le Mans annual will be making it normal apperance under the tree (that's if it be relased by christmas)
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2023010)   #9
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm about halfway through DC's effort, and I've found it a bit dreary so far, it all seems like it's written to fit the title rather than the other way round! He comments on suffering from bullimia in his karting days, and not having been bitter about losing his McLaren drive, but then laces every mention of JPM with a reference to the Michelin man, something I find rather hypocritical even with my most neutral hat on... Will reserve final judgement though until I've finished it.

Looking forward to the JYS book, and in the spring there's a "BTCC in camera" book; whilst I detest the modern incarnation of the series, it should be well worth it for the archive photography.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:03 (Ref:2023012)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

BTCC in Camera?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2023017)   #11
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
Yep, Link
Old 26 Sep 2007, 06:32 (Ref:2023186)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
BRM Volume 3 by Doug Nye...with the printers now.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 17:10 (Ref:2023719)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enzo.It was one of the best book,s I,ve read in years.Good look behind the Old Mans personal life as well as some secrets from the factory.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2024627)   #14
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

just ordereed the "getting fit for motorsport" book, probably a read once and let another up and coming driver of ours read it lol

i deffo want to read hammonds book though
Old 1 Oct 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2028013)   #15
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRM vol. 3 as Ensign14 says. Unmissable. We just need to keep Doug off AtlasF1 TNF for a while and make him finish Vol. 4

The English-language edition of the huuuuge and vastly illustrated biography of the Rodriguez Brothers looks like a must, if an expensive one. Delayed though.

Janos Wimpffen's third volume of sports car photos - "Spyders and Silhouettes" covering the early 70s to early 80s. Again absolutely mandatory if you've seen the first couple. (and isn't Janos meant to be working on a supplementary volume to Time and Two Seats covering late 90s to the present day?)

BTCC in Camera should be good given the quality of other books in the "...In Camera" series, and Robson is always readable.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 16:31 (Ref:2028054)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That 'BTCC IN Camera' tome should be well worth a look indeed!

It's already out but I quite enjoyed the recently released 1982 F1 book 'Inside Story of a Sensational Grand Prix Season' by C Hilton. Nothing much there that was news, but nicely presented, plenty of pics and some insights into guys like Paletti who I didn't know much about. Worth putting on ones list i'd say.

I'll be asking for the JYS book, that's if it doesn't slide out of my hands when I try to open it....
Old 1 Oct 2007, 18:54 (Ref:2028191)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Janos Wimpffen's third volume of sports car photos - "Spyders and Silhouettes" covering the early 70s to early 80s. Again absolutely mandatory if you've seen the first couple. (and isn't Janos meant to be working on a supplementary volume to Time and Two Seats covering late 90s to the present day?)
Are these books 100% photo books or more like Brian Labans Le Mans book (text and photos)?
Old 1 Oct 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2028259)   #18
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Nope plenty of words in there as well as some stunning pics
Old 1 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2028266)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
It's already out but I quite enjoyed the recently released 1982 F1 book 'Inside Story of a Sensational Grand Prix Season' by C Hilton. Nothing much there that was news, but nicely presented, plenty of pics and some insights into guys like Paletti who I didn't know much about. Worth putting on ones list i'd say.
Concur. An excellent book.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 23:06 (Ref:2028404)   #20
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Are these books 100% photo books or more like Brian Labans Le Mans book (text and photos)?
Photos with extended captions, really. Wimpffen's narrative/statistical history of sports car racing is the monumental Time and Two Seats, which is just the most mind-bogglingly comprehensive work of research I've ever read (and even that has plenty of good b/w pics!)
Old 4 Oct 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2030652)   #21
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
For Knowlesy; does it matter if they're old ones???

Last edited by Gerben24; 4 Oct 2007 at 10:18.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 11:31 (Ref:2030724)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm getting all emotional now!

Thanks, the dream is now reality.

Wait a minute....
Old 4 Oct 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2030787)   #23
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
Regarding DC's book; having now finished it I found it interesting towards the end where DC discusses his perceived lack of emotion at his successes etc; I felt it tied in with my initial assessment of the book a few posts back - I felt then it seemed to lack emotion, but it seems that's just DC's style.

I do think it is an excellent insight into his character; and certainly I felt I learnt more about DC the person - he could have just churned out one of those "and then they went to Monza" race-by-race career summaries, but instead it's far better than that, it does feel DC has put a lot of thought into it. Only quibbles really are the digs at JPM and I didn't think there was much in the book about his F1 career itself that I didn't already know; perhaps that's saved for an inevitable second edition when his F1 career ends.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2030796)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, I finished it last week. I stand by my assertion that it was a good read. I have a lot more respect for DC now I might add and there were some quite funny moments in there too.

Like you I found the JPM stuff a bit much though. I like how he said that Juan said some "unnecessary things" about him and then stated he'd not "stoop to that level!"

I counted about three hundred Michelin man jibes, a claim that JPM brings his family to races "for the cameras", amongst other things. Not needed, but otherwise it is a good read and I suppose non-JPM fans wouldn't mind it anyways.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 17:01 (Ref:2036048)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2001uk
just ordereed the "getting fit for motorsport" book

Ah yes, that's the one written by the former Le Mans Hawaiian Tropic girl, isn't it?