Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Oct 2007, 19:40 (Ref:2036213)   #1
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rallying Heroes.

Following on from some of the comments in the Gronholm retirement thread I thought it would be a good idea to see which drivers people see as their rallying heroes - every seems to agree that the retirement of Gronholm marks the end of an era as the last of the 'old school' departs. So who are your 'heroes', 'legends' or 'idols' and why?

For me it's always been Vatanen, Blomqvist, Makinen, McRae and latterly Gronholm.

Vatanen and Blomqvist are the first drivers I really remember and that's from the group B days - truly awesome cars and Vatanen and Blomqvist seemed to be larger than life figures that could somehow tame these fire spitting beasts. Even after they left the WRC they had Dakar and Pikes Peak to keep them amused

Makinen and McRae seemed to come from a similar mould - push to the limit at all times and sometimes just push that little bit too hard! Neither seemed capable of just sitting back and cruising to the finish, they never admitted defeat and would always push until the very end.

Gronholm is the last of the old school drivers, his driving has always been fantastic but I just love his general attitude too - interviews with Marcus at the end of stages never leave you in any doubt as to what he thinks!

Next year will be pretty empty with just Petter and Seb as 'known' drivers - the big names are gone and the WRC is a much poorer place for it. So who are your 'heroes'?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2036262)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McRae was the number one.

Beyond Colin, it was Makinen, Gronholm (still around...for now) and Kankkunen.

I just like attacking, flamboyant drivers. And Juha was just so relaxed it was amusing. Makinen couldn't string a coherent sentence together in English but in full flight in the car he was unbelievable.

I regret not seeing any of them live, competitively at least. And I can't make it to Rally GB to see Gronholm either. Dammit.

There were a lot of others I admired. Burns, for example, I had enormous respect for without ever idolising him. I was gutted when he nicked the title in 2001, but pleased at the same time I suppose. And with what happened just four years later I am grateful he won it in retrospect.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 20:45 (Ref:2036267)   #3
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McRae, Makinen, Kankkunen
Old 9 Oct 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2036269)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Henri Toivenen - legend.

McRae for obvious reasons. I also think Loeb is pure class the way he stepped up from the junior category with ease and is quick on all surfaces too, even though he was brough up on tarmac. Loeb is as good as anyone there has been, it's a shame there is not a lot of competition around for him to prove it. Carlos Sainz was brilliant, similar to Loeb in that he was good on all surfaces even though tarmac was his background.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2036704)   #5
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walter Röhrl – a "genius on wheels", according to Niki Lauda…
A great rallying/racing all-rounder as well as a true gentleman.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 16:23 (Ref:2036986)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed Graz, Loeb is fantastic. I remember cheering for him to win it in 2003 that seems a different era to nowadays where I dread a Loeb win!

I find it a shame he hasn't got multiple quality drivers to go against and, combined with the bulletproof reliability these days, the records are so distorted. I mean to become the "winningest" driver as quickly as he has and to win a rally by taking every single stage win....it's both impressive and deeply sad and indicative of the championship right now.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 20:25 (Ref:2037203)   #7
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stig Blomqvist
Henri Toivonen
Ari Vatanen
Walter Röhrl
Hannu Mikkola
Markku Alén
Carlos Sainz
Tommi Mäkinen
Petter Solberg
Marcus Grönholm

It's a bit of a long list but they are all heroes of mine.

As good as Loeb is, the only way he will make it onto my list is, if he can prove himself in something other than a Citroën.
Most of the guys on my list were winning rallies, and world championships, in a far more competitive era, and they were doing it in cars from several different manufacturers. Can Sebastien be successful driving for someone else?
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:05 (Ref:2037246)   #8
richorton
Racer

richorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My hero was tony pond in the vauxhall hsr .he could just throw that thing around .Not shy either about cutting corners into bends .He was not shy with throwing that big rover sdi around either .All good memories to me .
Old 10 Oct 2007, 21:19 (Ref:2037263)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are so many to choice from here are couple of mine

Roger Clark
Jimmy McRae
Colin McRae
Ari Vatanen
Walter Röhrl
Hannu Mikkola
Stig Blomqvist
Old 11 Oct 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2037828)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve Bannister in the 80's!
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2041160)   #11
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In no particular order

Tony Pond
Dave Metcalfe
Billy Coleman
Bertie Fisher