Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2051134)   #1
CAMSOgirl
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lewes
CAMSOgirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Writing Press Releases

Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and just wanted to ask you all a question really. I've been writing press releases for a motor sport team for the last couple of years, mainly local press but some national and websites, and am thinking of trying to turn it into more of a business. As drivers, is this a service that you would be interested in?
I know there are lots of PR people out there, but they seem to be more geared towards chasing sponsorship etc. which is something I don't want to get into. I would want to restrict it to writing press releases and possibily sponsorship proposals. I haven't researched the area properly, but thought you guys would probably have a lot of experience in dealing with people in this area and might be able to give some advice as to whether it's a viable business opportunity.
Thanks

Last edited by CAMSOgirl; 25 Oct 2007 at 14:15.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2051140)   #2
CAMSOgirl
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lewes
Just wanted to clear it up that no way am I trying to approach any of you out there for business! I just thought you guys would be able to tell me if it's already being done or there wouldn't be enough interest from drivers/teams. Just wanted to clear that up!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2051307)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard Camso,I would have thought that if you wanted to it into a business you,d be better off approaching BTCC/F3 team,s really.Don,t forget that most drivers on here are only in it for fun,not publicity.The Team,s that may want this kind of service on here are quite limited but good luck in you,r effort,s.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2051486)   #4
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny I was thinking of posting something very similar myself earlier. I'm in a similar sort of position, albeit just coming to the end of Masters in Sports Journalism. I've been lucky enough to do quite a bit of PR work over the last few months in various sports writing press releases and website content but was thinking of contacting various teams offering my services for free/expenses in order to build up more experience & contacts in motorsport. So if anyone's got any suggestions or helpful advice to CAMSOgirl's post, then I'd be very interested in hearing it too!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 09:39 (Ref:2051820)   #5
CAMSOgirl
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lewes
Thanks for your comment Terence and GroupOfOne, you sound much more qualified in the area than I am! Definitely go for it! I think I would probably have to aim at local karting teams with young drivers who are looking to progress up the motor sport ladder. The BTCC and F3 teams are probably a little out of my league at the mo, and would be looking for more coverage than I could guarantee. But thanks again for the comments and i'll keep working on it.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2051908)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the big teams already have people that do that sort of thing for them. Try Formula Ford/Renault level, they might be more in need of your services.

The main thing is getting them to pay for it... it's all very well offering your services for free, but it can get expensive if you follow a team around the country.

If I was in that position, I'd try and offer a complete package, website upgrading etc. - there seem to be a lot of teams that could benefit from someone keeping their news site, galleries, etc. up to date and professional looking.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 15:44 (Ref:2052719)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMSOgirl
Thanks for your comment Terence and GroupOfOne, you sound much more qualified in the area than I am! Definitely go for it! I think I would probably have to aim at local karting teams with young drivers who are looking to progress up the motor sport ladder. The BTCC and F3 teams are probably a little out of my league at the mo, and would be looking for more coverage than I could guarantee. But thanks again for the comments and i'll keep working on it.
We all have to start some where,Why no get in touch with a few BTCC Team,s,even if it,s just for a look around.There,s always F3,FR etc etc.Dont give up on it,if you manage to get an invite,DON,T be late.

In fact check you,r PMs.