Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:54 (Ref:2085239)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports stars & sponsorship

See a Sweeney report lists Rick Ponting as the countrys most sponsorable sportsman. Craig Lowndes ranks 14, Skaife a bit behind him & in a list of 30 #30 is Mark Webber.

Probably as good a result as can be expected.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 04:12 (Ref:2085243)   #2
Tander is Tops
Rookie

Tander is Tops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
See a Sweeney report lists Rick Ponting as the countrys most sponsorable sportsman. Craig Lowndes ranks 14, Skaife a bit behind him & in a list of 30 #30 is Mark Webber.

Probably as good a result as can be expected.
Yet Ponting is the most wooden and boring bloke in front of a camera I've seen in ages.

This has more to do with the mainstream media's obesession with ball sports and the men (mainly) who play them and far less to do with the ability and talent of those that in my view are far more polished in front of a camera. And I'd rank Lowndes and Skaife (and a couple of other motorsport blokes) ahead of the Australian cricket captain any day.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 04:20 (Ref:2085248)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought in Cricket it would be Andrew Symonds very entertaining at the crease and is decent infront of the camera.

Footy is played every weeken and the players are the face of the game the are the ones you see all the time on camera where motorsport is the car 1st driver 2nd.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 04:29 (Ref:2085253)   #4
Tander is Tops
Rookie

Tander is Tops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i thought in Cricket it would be Andrew Symonds very entertaining at the crease and is decent infront of the camera.

Footy is played every weeken and the players are the face of the game the are the ones you see all the time on camera where motorsport is the car 1st driver 2nd.
And I would have thought that Warnie would be No1.

I agree about Mo though. He's great in front of a camera and has a degree of Aussie 'cheekiness' that appeals to many.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:13 (Ref:2085280)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how far up the list Brocky would've been...?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2085325)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tander is Tops
And I would have thought that Warnie would be No1.
he is Vodafones #1 he has been in their camp a few times this year, but of coarse he is going to be their #1 with the amount of SMS he sends .
Old 11 Dec 2007, 23:44 (Ref:2086892)   #7
Used Car
Racer

Alderney
In the big house without my wife & kids
Used Car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Alan Jones? Not the poof.. the racing driver.

He must be on the top list somewhere. With that amazing A1GP team he fronts. Or does going broke 10 times exclude you from the list?

To all whose lives I have touched in my short time here, may your eggs turn into chickens and kick your house down.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 00:12 (Ref:2086914)   #8
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It also comes down to overall recognition by the community at large. Of racing drivers the only ones that would really have broad appeal (ie be recognised) would be Lowndes, Skaife, possibly Murphy at the outside - but, other than that - talk to someone who does NOT follow motorsport and see how many drivers they could name and/or recognise, and there won't be many.

Cricketers, OTOH, have a helluva lot more exposure than motor sport participants. Similarly why swimmers were also so marketable (why do you think BMW use Kieren Perkins in their Mini's?)

Last edited by NewsStalker; 12 Dec 2007 at 00:14.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 01:26 (Ref:2086943)   #9
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait for Casey Stoner to start getting popular as a "face of" something.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 04:20 (Ref:2086991)   #10
NewsStalker
Veteran

As long as he has some good media-savvy person behind him. his is one of the big downfalls of most within motor racing - they seem to think that their exploits on track will do everything for them not realising that exposure only lasts so long.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 07:45 (Ref:2087033)   #11
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speaking as a consumer, I've never understood the reasoning behind this - sports stars and celebrities flogging products or brands. I can sort of follow the idea that someone in their field of play would be knowledgable, but Mark Taylor and Jason Bright hawking air conditioners ??? Then there was Greg Norman [ a few years ago ] pushing the Holden brand, but wait,then the G.W.shark decided Toyota was paying better. I don't get it . And I am a Cricket, NRL, Golf and Motorsort tragic.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:56 (Ref:2092329)   #12
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Sweeny report on sports people are most interested in

Link

no mention of Motorsport in this new article.

The May edition has motorsport listed at 8th with a 1% decline.
Link

and the sports person recognition list is here Lowdnes has bounced back with a 10% rise. Back to Back Bathurst is the best way to get recognised.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 23:22 (Ref:2092344)   #13
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
and the sports person recognition list is here Lowdnes has bounced back with a 10% rise. Back to Back Bathurst is the best way to get recognised.
This is important to note, and is probably the main reason why Triple 8 are so well funded.

This should also put into context the misguided opinions being raised that Whincup is the real star of Triple 8 because he sometimes pipped by his teammate by 0.001 seconds or whatever.

Lowndes' is a legend in the making; Whincup's time will come one day too - when his name alone is capable of securing large scale commercial backing for a team.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 00:28 (Ref:2092382)   #14
cavvy
Veteran

dont overestimate either !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
This is important to note, and is probably the main reason why Triple 8 are so well funded.

Lowndes' - when his name alone is capable of securing large scale commercial backing for a team.
You seem to be suggesting the professionalism & success of 888 in other markets was of NIL value ... surely not !!
Old 20 Dec 2007, 02:45 (Ref:2092421)   #15
NewsStalker
Veteran

Take yourself out of your 'motor sport supportive body' for a moment though and ask yourself these questions:

1. Who is Craig Lowndes?
2. Who is Mark Winterbottom?
3. Who or what is 888 Racing?

his is what the GENERAL public ask themselves when they see these names - motor sport, particularly in Australia) does NOT have a big following - no company would commit financial suicide by trying to market something to the general public using someone or a team that is not known to the wider population - this is why of the current drivers, only Lowndes, Skaife, possible Ingall and virtually no one else is being used for any sort of marketing campaign (OK Bright is - I'll concede that).
Old 20 Dec 2007, 03:15 (Ref:2092429)   #16
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its crazy that we have Michael Clarke on TV doing a bad impersoniation of Ritchie Beneaud flogging the Ford Falcon.
Why on earth cant we have Lowndes, Frosty or Junior in the ad. Skaife and Ambrose used to do the KFC ads. If there faces were on TV more, then people would recognise them as V8 drivers and they would become more mainstream.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 07:11 (Ref:2092466)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i thought Pup's was a crap impersination of Bill Lawry and Haydos done Richie , although i do like the backyard Cricket ad's.

i think SCA would have a field day making ad's with Rusty and Morris.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 09:07 (Ref:2092505)   #18
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell
I think its crazy that we have Michael Clarke on TV doing a bad impersoniation of Ritchie Beneaud flogging the Ford Falcon.
Why on earth cant we have Lowndes, Frosty or Junior in the ad.
Maybe because Lowndes, Forsty or Junior couldn't do very good Ritchie impersonations

It's cricket season, Ford sponsor the cricket, it's not rocket science...
Old 24 Dec 2007, 04:00 (Ref:2094308)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
Speaking as a consumer, I've never understood the reasoning behind this - sports stars and celebrities flogging products or brands. I can sort of follow the idea that someone in their field of play would be knowledgable, but Mark Taylor and Jason Bright hawking air conditioners ??? Then there was Greg Norman [ a few years ago ] pushing the Holden brand, but wait,then the G.W.shark decided Toyota was paying better. I don't get it . And I am a Cricket, NRL, Golf and Motorsort tragic.
If you think about your purchase then you are just not the demographic being chased.

If voice over person X is advertising a product, usually it just sails through to the keeper unmolested. But if we hear a voice we recognise we might perk up and pay a bit more attention to the TV commercial. It sort of comes back to you giving more credence to the opinion of a close friend compared to someone you met at a party.

But also, there are some, more towards the younger (and affluent with either theirs or their parents money) who just do everything their preferred celebrity does. Look at Kylie undies, Paris Hilton fragrances, Lindsay Lohan records, hell anything related to Australian Idol.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 04:44 (Ref:2094319)   #20
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
Take yourself out of your 'motor sport supportive body' for a moment though and ask yourself these questions:

1. Who is Craig Lowndes?
2. Who is Mark Winterbottom?
3. Who or what is 888 Racing?

his is what the GENERAL public ask themselves when they see these names - motor sport, particularly in Australia) does NOT have a big following - no company would commit financial suicide by trying to market something to the general public using someone or a team that is not known to the wider population - this is why of the current drivers, only Lowndes, Skaife, possible Ingall and virtually no one else is being used for any sort of marketing campaign (OK Bright is - I'll concede that).
I guess that would discount Brad Jones (BOC), Cam and Murf last year for Supercheap ... just a couple off the top of my head.

Actually, a majority of people could tell you who Lowndes, Skaife, Stoner or Doohan are, however in Sydney, for example, most of the population would not know who James Hird is. Ditto Melbourne for (insert League star name).

BTW, I'm getting the flu from all this cold water pouring on motorsport.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 05:09 (Ref:2094324)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
all by someone who claims he is a news stalker. news for the national enquirer i guess. seen any UFO's lately
Old 24 Dec 2007, 05:41 (Ref:2094330)   #22
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
all by someone who claims he is a news stalker. news for the national enquirer i guess. seen any UFO's lately
1. What is a UFO?
2. Did we really land on the moon?
3. Is Tony Cochrane really from earth?

Stay tuned, peck, all will be answered in time by - the News Stalker ... do do do do, do do do do .. from the Twilight Zone
Old 26 Dec 2007, 03:36 (Ref:2094892)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Actually, a majority of people could tell you who Lowndes, Skaife, Stoner or Doohan are, however in Sydney, for example, most of the population would not know who James Hird is. Ditto Melbourne for (insert League star name).
Semi-relevant - this is usually countered by filming two versions of a footballers add, one with League guys, one with AFL.
Old 26 Dec 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2095107)   #24
cavvy
Veteran

widening appeal

Craig Lowndes doing the Sydney Hobart on Pirelli would do his general appeal some good if it were to be publicized - footballers on boats seem to be getting publicity, who looks after Craig, hello Pirelli....
Old 26 Dec 2007, 23:21 (Ref:2095130)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Lowndes value was lost when they put a camera on a boat with Nathan Buckley. Buckley this, Buckley that, look there's Buckley in a white dinner suit. In comparison Lowndes was little more than a footnote.

Footballers. Actually not just a footballer but a network personality too (Buckley has joined 7's commentary team)